House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Coffee People

I know there's already a mammoth coffee machine thread here somewhere but as I'm not after a machine I'd need a mortgage to buy has anyone got the stovetop type pots like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Art-Deco-Espresso-Maker/dp/B002TJJPYW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_6

if so, how much standard size 200ml mugs does one of these so called '6 cup' things actually make? the review there says that a cup is 30ml which to me makes that a 1 cup machine.

I don't drink coffee often but when I do (and from this point on) I'd like to make sure it's good coffee, more than likely on a Sunday and maybe with some added Drambuie finished off with a cream top! :)

Should I be going for a 12 cup :unsure: to get 2 decent sized cups?

I know there's already a mammoth coffee machine thread here somewhere but as I'm not after a machine I'd need a mortgage to buy has anyone got the stovetop type pots like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Art-Deco-Espresso-Maker/dp/B002TJJPYW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_6

if so, how much standard size 200ml mugs does one of these so called '6 cup' things actually make? the review there says that a cup is 30ml which to me makes that a 1 cup machine.

I don't drink coffee often but when I do (and from this point on) I'd like to make sure it's good coffee, more than likely on a Sunday and maybe with some added Drambuie finished off with a cream top! :)

Should I be going for a 12 cup :unsure: to get 2 decent sized cups?

Six cup will make three medium black cups.....depends on how big your cups are. ;)

Six cup will make three medium black cups.....depends on how big your cups are. ;)

*feels manboobs*

about a B i reckon.

Are you talking small cups with a saucer there, or the kind of average mug that you'd offer a plumber who's come to sort your pipes? ;)

the 3 cup will fill half a normal 'mug' (or it will fill 2 espresso mugs) so the 6 should fill a mug.

you'll have to reduce the amount of coffee you put in - you don't want to be drinking 6 espressos in one go!

the 3 cup will fill half a normal 'mug' (or it will fill 2 espresso mugs) so the 6 should fill a mug.

you'll have to reduce the amount of coffee you put in - you don't want to be drinking 6 espressos in one go!

Duly noted.

I've never been one to find coffee as a pick-me-up, in fact I can't recall the last time I had one, I don't think I've had one this year.

I will dabble with quantities though, drink far too much R Whites to be adding lots of fine coffee's into the diet seeing as they both batter the liver! :(

Duly noted.

I've never been one to find coffee as a pick-me-up, in fact I can't recall the last time I had one, I don't think I've had one this year.

I will dabble with quantities though, drink far too much R Whites to be adding lots of fine coffee's into the diet seeing as they both batter the liver! :(

This is probably heresy but you can always brew it strong and top up the cups from a jug of boiled water

Coffee is OK, but it neither stops me sleeping nor wakes me up. Beer is a lot better! :blink:

This is probably heresy but you can always brew it strong and top up the cups from a jug of boiled water

Get out and don't darken our walls with your bile again.

I find a coffee maker to be unnecessary, just put the ground coffee in a cup, pour hot water, leave it for 5 mins, stir so the ground coffee sinks. Faster, cheaper and less to wash up.

wiki: Cowboy Coffee

"Cowboy coffee" is made by heating coarse grounds with water in a pot, letting the grounds settle and pouring off the liquid to drink, sometimes filtering it to remove fine grounds. While the name suggests that this method was used by cowboys, presumably on the trail around a campfire, it is used by others; some people prefer this method. This method is still used in certain situations in Finland, Norway and Sweden, which have the highest consumption of coffee per-capita,[5][dead link] but filter brewing is the standard method there today.

Cowboy coffee is connoisseur coffee if made properly. It should never be boiled. About 200 °F (93 °C) is the optimal temperature to make coffee. Bring the water to a simmer then remove from heat and wait a few minutes for it to cool to the optimal temperature.

isn't that also how the greeks/ turks make coffee?

Pretty much, it's how everyone used to make coffee.

It's missing from the wiki extract I posted but my understanding is that cowboys/ pioneering folk used to chuck an eggshell in with the coffee. I'm not sure if it was for taste or to help the grounds settle. Google's not being definitive. It's a Swedish thing apparently.

Isn't that how you make a number of long coffees?

Isn't that how you make a number of long coffees?

Yes, but there's always the slight risk that someone might explain why that's a sacrilege.

We are talking coffee here. Serious business.

edit: I ordered a cappuccino after a meal in a restaurant in Italy once. Even after the waiter asked me if I was sure.

edit #2: I just found this handy summary of where you should or shouldn't drink cappuccino in Italy

Asking for a cappuccino at a bar(snack bar) in the afternoon is not a problem in Italy…the terrible thing is to order it with sandwiches or any salad food… and the worst thing of all is to take it after lunch or meal….it’s absolutely strange and awful. Anna

We still have a 4 cup stove espresso thing and it basically makes two mugs of coffee.

Although I'm quite into coffee, I drink quite a lot of it, so I can't drink it all black "as it comes" or I'd be like Beavis in the film pretending to be the Great Cornholio (An obscure reference if ever there was one) and so have to mix it with milk and sip it throughout the day.

Basically, halve the quantity for a "mug" as opposed to "espresso cup".

The problem comes when you want to make more straight after. It is possible to avoid burning yourself with judicious use of a slightly wet tea-towel to hold it still, but it still carries a degree of risk that your guests will hear the words coming from your mouth should you "slip".

All that said, that is a rather nice looking thing.

Quite honestly, if I'm after a 'good' coffee (as opposed to the industrial quantities of Sainsburys Gold Instant I glug on a daily basis) I'm usually pretty happy with a Bodum cafetiere. Is there some strong objection to these in serious coffee circles?

Quite honestly, if I'm after a 'good' coffee (as opposed to the industrial quantities of Sainsburys Gold Instant I glug on a daily basis) I'm usually pretty happy with a Bodum cafetiere. Is there some strong objection to these in serious coffee circles?

We had a really nice one of those until I dropped and broke it :(

I can have coffee from the stove top ones or the cafetieres sometimes preferring one or the other.

The only snags I find with cafetieres are

1. You have to stick to coarse ground coffee suitable for them, if you use coffee ground too fine it gets past the "filter" bit and the coffee has a texture of having "bits" in it;

2. It doesn't make especially strong coffee;

3. It never stays warm for long so having a large cafetiere so you can pour out a second cup is a bit pointless as it's too cold by then but it's fine if you're serving maybe 4 people at once straight away.

But then a particular quality of well made coffee is that the temperature is right - unlike instant coffee, you don't boil the water. You can get machines with hotplates to keep it warm but that doesn't really work either, it just goes bitter - that's where the "espresso" machines come in.

If you're looking to "upgrade" and try new stuff, why not just get yourself a Bodum one as you say - about £12 maybe?.. and start from there. The upgrade from instant coffee is such a quantum leap for the sake of a small spend and you'll probably hang on to the cafetiere anyway regardless of what you get next, always handy to have.

3. It never stays warm for long so having a large cafetiere so you can pour out a second cup is a bit pointless as it's too cold by then but it's fine if you're serving maybe 4 people at once straight away.

I generally put the milk in my second mug and then microwave it for 20-30 seconds...

[ducks] :ph34r:

I generally put the milk in my second mug and then microwave it for 20-30 seconds...

:angry:

Why don't you just top it up with a child's tears whilst you're at it?

I tend to microwave the milk in the first cup too.

Most days I can't be bothered to use the steamer on the machine for the milk, and the first coffee of the day - in a huge mug - is about 20% milk which goes in the microwave for 1 minute then I use the machine to pour the coffee on top.

Purists would frown, I'm sure, but it's what you like that matters :) for instance I don't like expensive champagne because, to me, it tastes of chemicals and I'm not keen on the "melt in the mouth" texture. The horror, the horror :)

Do pop back in a month or two and tell us that you've "converted" from instant coffee; real coffee is a completely different drink.