House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

Gibraltar Seige Tunnels

Ever since I read 'Cocaine Nights' by J G Ballard I've had this strange wish to visit Gibraltar. I don't imagine there's a huge amount to do, but has anyone been around the seige tunnels? Are they worth a visit?

Cheers

Will

Ever since I read 'Cocaine Nights' by J G Ballard I've had this strange wish to visit Gibraltar. I don't imagine there's a huge amount to do, but has anyone been around the seige tunnels? Are they worth a visit?

Cheers

Will

I've been to Gib many times in the last decade- can't be bothered to work it out exactly, but at the very least 6 times I guess. My In-Laws love holidaying in a certain little town on the Costa-Del-Sol, and so every time we've had a hire car we've been there.

Things to note: 1) despite all the moaning about unfair border controls, the quewe to get in from Spain is always far longer than the quewe to get out. 2) The centre of town is like a provincial English high street only with far more fag/booze, perfume, jewelry, and camera shops- and 10 degree higher average temps!

If you actually want to see the sights, then obviously they're pretty much all on the rock. You have two choices- a 50p ticket to roam around the 'special conservation area' (which they waived for me in 2011 when I turned up at the **** end to do it backwards and told them I'd been many times before :P ), or a £8.50 ticket which apparently gets you into all the museums, all the tunnels etc. On our fourth visit I managed to drag my wife up there- she's not fit and it is steep- and I paid the £8.50 each. We did the WW2 tunnel tour which was pretty amazing, but they're deliberately vague, and so we ended up paying what we felt was a reasonable price for the tour on top of the £8.50 entrance ticket (you're not allowed to wander about on your own). There are a number of other little museums included in the price.

After that my wife decided that a pub meal would be in order, and accepted a ride back into town with the rest of the tour group to meet up with her parents. I did my usual and carried on up the rock, except this time I could see the 'siege tunnels'.

Whereas the WW2 tunnels are amazing in their depth and breadth, the seige tunnels are merely interesting. There are a few of your typical waxworks illumiated behind closed doors to see, otherwise it's just the amazing views out of holes in the side of the rock.

Excuse the rambling nature of my anecdotes, I'm quite drunk. On my subsequent visits I've just left my wife and in-laws shopping and just scrambled up the rock as far as my limited fitness and pasty white skin will take me. The last time I went up I walked right round the back and went up the 'Mediterreanian Steps"; did it in 30 mins, and was overtaken at the end by a female jogger who'd done it in 18! I'd brought a torch with me to explore a particularly interesting cave that cuts across the very top of the rock and comes out on a great ledge- but this time I couldn't find it!

But anyway, if you have an urge to see the place, do it- feel free to PM me for advice! :)

The worst queue is leaving unless you leave at odd off-peak times. Trust me. Just don't drive in although petrol is cheaper.

Very odd place but a lot of history.

in laws2b have I think.

Think someone off allotment has too. Although his might have been work related. Anyway someone's wittered on about them at great length .. zzzz

:)

Thanks for all the replies, especially Rave's most comprehensive one! I'll drop you a pm if/when I ever get myself organised enough to go.

Cheers

Will

Thanks for all the replies, especially Rave's most comprehensive one! I'll drop you a pm if/when I ever get myself organised enough to go.

Cheers

Will

There's always the staycation option. I crawled around the tunnels and earthworks at Dover Western Heights a few times in the 90s. Lots of tunnels with rotten trap doors, all sorts of fun. I just had a peek on an urban explorers' site to see what they're like today. I get the impression that some of the complex is still accessible but probably smells of pee

photos: Dover Western Heights

Been a few times over the years ....well worth the visit....park your car on the Spanish side .....don't even bother if there are one or two Costa lotta sized cruise ships in the harbour....epic queues for the cave ,cable car and the tunnels (worth doing) if there is , about 3000 people per boat all wanting to do the same kodak moment in the same limited time frame .....its quite comical.....cant remember what the prices were for the touristy bits last few times just went for the shopping .......( epically expensive Morrisons ,but sometimes you need the marmite buzz)

Fabbo walk along the ridge along the top with the monkeys...if you have the time..cable car up and walk back along the ridge and down the airport side..........

In the sixties there was a greasy spoon cafe in Gibraltar called Smokey Joe's. Bills could be paid in almost any currency, and Joe (a Portugese) would stamp your passport with the legend I've eaten at Smokey Joe's. International Passport officials arrived one day and threatened him with the lock-up. After that he stamped your hand.