House Price Crash Forum

Mates Or Friends

TheNoSnowMan

HOLA441

I recently came to a conclusion that I don't have any friends. I have mates.

Let me explain my theory.

A friend is someone who does just as much for you and you do for them. They randomly ring/text you just to see how you are/what you're up to. They often pop round your house just to chat. You have a fair amount in common and are never bored in each other’s company.

A mate is someone who you tend to do more for than they do for you. They never ring/text unless they want something. They never come round to see you; you have to go see them. You do have some things in common but find you make more of an effort to be interested in what they like than vice versa.

I've always found forming friendships difficult anyway as I'm quite self contained and I don't trust easily. But it was my other half who pointed out to me a while ago that I was always doing stuff for these people and they never do anything in return. I normally see these people on a Wednesday night and she used to come with me. To prove a point, she stopped coming along and now hasn't seen any of them since last summer. So I tried it myself after Xmas. Didn't go round for the whole of January. Didn't hear anything. Nothing. When I did just show up in February all I got was, "The daughters laptop is playing up. Can you have a look at it?"

Does anyone else find this? Are people now so wrapped up in their own self importance that friendships doesn't exist anymore? Or am I just expecting too much?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

People vastly over estimate the number of friends they have..

In my book a friend is someone you may not talk to for months, but you know they will be thinking of you or you will be thinking of them and when you do meet up it's as if you spoke yesterday and you speak the same cr4p you spoke last time. You also know that if you need help they'll shift a mountain, and vice versa.

I reckon I have 3

When I did just show up in February all I got was, "The daughters laptop is playing up. Can you have a look at it?

That resonates, most of my other 'friends' only get in touch when they need something, usually a computer issue (I'm not in IT just fairly literate). i just see how long I can stall them until they finally get around to the real reason they are contacting me. I wouldn't shift a mountain for them, nor they for me i suspect. I'll tell them what they need to do or where they can find the advice online to fix it themselves, such as ifixit, but I won't do it for them.

I'd also say that friends 'happen'. I certainly don't look for friends, or aquaintances.

HOLA448

Surely that should be the Swanson's Ponzi of Greatness. This is HPC after all...

Quite

I don't have any mates, a lot of acquaintances, and a fair few friends, most of whom are currently dormant on account of them being geographically far away and/or snowed under.

A friend is someone I can meet after not seeing for five years and pick up straight away, completely naturally. They are not people who have me finding myself running up a mental balance sheet of our relationship. Some have done more for me than I have done for them and vice versa. It all evens out in the wash.

Yes, there are lots of self-absorbed air heads out there but there are plenty of decent folk also. It's got to be down to each of us individually to nurture positive relationships and toss the cr@p ones, doesn't it?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Ah yes! I have few friends! The minute you are up shit creek and need help, "mates" are too busy, and bugger off!! Sometimes YOU will have to be a friend too, and help someone out! :huh:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Archived