House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Amazing Pictures Of The Current Mount Etna (Sicily) Vulcano Eruption

Took the kids on a 5 hour trek across Etna, back in 2004, just after one of it's frequent eruptions. It was a real eye opener, realising the awesome power of nature and how small and insignificant mankind really is.

They still talk about it to this day.

Took the kids on a 5 hour trek across Etna, back in 2004, just after one of it's frequent eruptions. It was a real eye opener, realising the awesome power of nature and how small and insignificant mankind really is.

They still talk about it to this day.

Did you try the local brew?

InsegnaFuoco50x50_cm.jpg

Did you try the local brew?

InsegnaFuoco50x50_cm.jpg

I helped my Italian friend move house last Saturday and he offered me a bottle of that. Said it was about a decade old but was still sealed so should be fine.

I was intrigued, partly because it was 70% and partly because I like to try the local tipple from various places (I really liked Black Balsam in Latvia, not such a fan of Vana Tallinn).

I turned it down as I'm trying to curb my drinking but you're making me think I made the wrong decision.

Edit to add: As I was helping him move in return for him helping me move a few months ago, perhaps this post should actually be on the mates/friends thread.

I turned it down as I'm trying to curb my drinking but you're making me think I made the wrong decision.

I shouldn't worry too much. I only ever had it once, while at a hotel on Etna's slopes. I don't recollect the taste, but it wasn't so exciting as to make me want to go out and buy a bottle.

OTOH, many Italian liquors are truly gorgeous. I first tasted limoncello under similar circumstances (youth hostel on the Amalfi Coast) and that did inspire me to seek it out. And italian Amaro ("bitter") herbal digestive liquors put our after-dinner digestives completely to shame. Or rather, family of liquors: to call Amaro a single drink would be a bit like lumping together whisky, whiskey, gin, vodka, aquavit, eau-de-vie and grappa under a single generic label.