House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

No Going Back - Revisited

Do you remember all those 'Selling up in the UK + going somewhere 'nicer' programmes.

I watched a couple - mainly to see if Amanda Lamb was wearing a bra.

Anyhow, this bloke used to write a series in the Yorkshire Post magazine- not sure why, as he was a journalist from Norfolk:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/i-came-i-sawed-i-compost-1-2573327

He was featured in one of those TV series in the early 00s.

A quick google throws up a scan of his book with date and price info: summer 2000, £95K/E114K. 2013 - £1 buys E1.17

Anyhow, I'm sure he's spent money on doing it up etc etc etc.

He's no discovered why there are a lot of empty places in the Catalan hinterland - there are no paying jobs and the cost of traveling can be pretty steep, there's nothing to do other than chew on straw and point at aeroplanes - I've Catalan relatives, who live near Tarragona which is why I remember this place.

Anyhow, he's selling up - kids of to uni (in UK), wants to go back to Norfolk to 'write' - I guess that means drink and avoid work.

Go on, guess the price?

Yes I know he's 'done some work'

But, like Spain, Catalonia has been hammered esp. these out-in-sticks farms.

Its hard to get good price info coz very little is selling and Spain is still a very long way from the bottom.

I've asked raltives what places are going for.

Less than 2004 prices I've been told. And falling.

Have you guessed yet?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-37901938.html

E925K ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

He must have moved the place to Surrey I guess.

I don't get this, the front of the house looks like a set in a spaghetti western, ready to crumble into adobe dust, the back with the pool looks nice, yet they all swim in what looks like the old Second World War emergency water supply tanks that were so common when I was young.

Sorry off topic, removed.

Does anyone remember the no going back with an ex playboy bunny with her husband and kids buying an island (in the Atlantic / south central america i think) setting up a holiday resort. They kept having ships on drug runs on the island in the night, got kidnapped etc, she was ridding one of the worker boys and the guy died of a heart attack the writing on the screen showed at the end. Was there an update on this one?
Edited by saving since 2005

I don't get this, the front of the house looks like a set in a spaghetti western, ready to crumble into adobe dust, the back with the pool looks nice, yet they all swim in what looks like the old Second World War emergency water supply tanks that were so common when I was young.

I prefer the front, and that water tank looks about 10 times the size of the pool, so, fun, I guess. I dunno - overpriced, probably, but a chunk of land, an hour or less to the airport and decent beaches afaict, a few hours to Barcelona. Nice summer rental if nothing else.

Crikey looks like a jumble of delapidated farm outbuildings with Heath Robinson in charge of the modernisastion programme. Dark depressing rooms with plenty of beams to erect a noose if the mood gets to you.

I think the Count of Nowhere came up with a light airy 8 bedroom Georgian country house near Edinburgh, solidly built and with the benefits of the UK NHS service and no danger of requisitions from the Catalonian Nationals. At 700K. and falling.

Edited by crashmonitor

Do you remember all those 'Selling up in the UK + going somewhere 'nicer' programmes.

I watched a couple - mainly to see if Amanda Lamb was wearing a bra.

He's no discovered why there are a lot of empty places in the Catalan hinterland - there are no paying jobs and the cost of traveling can be pretty steep, there's nothing to do other than chew on straw and point at aeroplanes - I've Catalan relatives, who live near Tarragona which is why I remember this place.

That gave me two good laughs. Thanks.

Sounds like another Liz Jones and her place in the wilds of Devon...

Can we start a Potless in Paradise thread?

Edited by juvenal

Crikey looks like a jumble of delapidated farm outbuildings with Heath Robinson in charge of the modernisastion programme. Dark depressing rooms with plenty of beams to erect a noose if the mood gets to you.

I think the Count of Nowhere came up with a light airy 8 bedroom Georgian country house near Edinburgh, solidly built and with the benefits of the UK NHS service and no danger of requisitions from the Catalonian Nationals. At 700K. and falling.

True. But Edinburgh requires a lot more heating than Catalonia. Just wait in a couple of years time when the PTB bring in Carbon based council tax. It wont matter if you only heat one room and emit few carbons, the bill for a pile like that will be in the tens of thousands.

Mental.

Almost £800k for a house thats basically in the middle of nowhere.

You can actually get some nice houses in the south east of England for that money, with a reasonable amount of land too.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26452548.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37682083.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25904406.html?premiumA=true

Mental.

Almost £800k for a house thats basically in the middle of nowhere.

And where unemployment is 25% and the majority of those with jobs are earning less than E1000/month.

It appears to be priced to: pay off money he owes, give him a pension, provide money for the move to the UK.

I think E200K would be pretty optimistic.

And where unemployment is 25% and the majority of those with jobs are earning less than E1000/month.

It appears to be priced to: pay off money he owes, give him a pension, provide money for the move to the UK.

I think E200K would be pretty optimistic.

Probably a difficult thing to value. You just got to find the greater fool. Probably dozens of ramshackle farm houses with similar acreage in the vicinity of said property for a tenth of the cost...but how many dreamy housewives (who probably provide the impetus for their families to buy these things) actually bother researching such things. Most people I know who buy houses dont even bother looking at sold prices in the UK, even though its freely/readily available. It seems once people have a mortgage and its not 'their money' any usual financial expediency goes out the window.

I'd be interested at E150k no higher

....that is the thing, everything you do in life has a risk to it, forget the money for a moment, think of the quality of life....doing and experiencing something different.

Say they come home with £100k they are not poor, they could still work and buy a place with a small mortgage.

You never know till you try.....all part of life's rich pageant. ;)

I enjoy some entries from his blog... the growing of food and nature and outdoor stuff - land/house prices, or asking prices, a different matter.

Anyway it looks like he and others may be hit by some clampdown or law-change, on one of their incomes.

Entry 17 October 2014

The here and now at delicious Mother’s Garden is calm and bright outside, but stormy inside.

We labour in the office, not least because we are at loggerheads with the British Government, and DeFRA and the Rural Payments Agency in particular, about an impending ban on the sale of on tap extra virgin olive oil in the UK. Yes, you read that correctly.

http://mothersgarden.org/tag/martin-kirby