House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zugzwang

Kaiser Report: Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead!

I happened to catch a moment of this tedious oaf last night..."And the oil, let's not forget its Scotland's oil...etc etc"

I happened to catch a moment of this tedious oaf last night..."And the oil, let's not forget its Scotland's oil...etc etc"

I'm sorry, where is his argument that it was an oil boom that Thatcher rode, that made us seem wealthy, incorrect?

Max and Stacey explode the myth.

A very poor and inaccurate analysis. Historically incorrect as well. He should stick to bashing the American bankers who created, exploited and cheated to cause the present crisis.

Oil account for 3% of GDP? Hardly going to propel the country forward that much. And why isn't coal or tin thought to be worth of considering for a sovereign wealth fund?

Under the Thatcher the productivity gains in the UK were impressive, and while there bubbles (which her government also popped!), I don't think she had in mind the sort of dependence on credit in mind that the New Labour government was based on.

I'm sorry, where is his argument that it was an oil boom that Thatcher rode, that made us seem wealthy, incorrect?

It was his infuriating multiple reference to it being "Scotland's oil". Why he thinks it relevant to wade into the Scottish independence debate is beyond me. Anyway, only about half was ever Scottish, the rest fell to England, but that is by the by.

The whole "wasted oil" thing is a nonsensical dogma of the left anyway. Yes, we could have built up a massive sovereign wealth fund, but we would not have had that money in circulation and would not have benefited from it at the time. We would have been a poorer country but with some savings.