House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Epl Clubs Reading & Wigan Advertise For Interns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22125015

Wigan "job role"

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/jobs/Wigan-Athletic-Performance-Analysis-Internship-090413

So they have to travel to home & away games and not get a bean, even in expenses....

Reading have been criticised for seeking to appoint a full-time postgraduate performance analyst who will not be paid or receive expenses. The successful candidate will have to work unsociable hours and attend games. Gus Baker from Intern Aware, which campaigns for paid internships, said the position was "unfair" and "out of reach" and added: "This damages the image of the club."

Reading are owned by Russian businessman Anton Zingarevich who bought the club for £25m from Sir John Madejski. The team won promotion to the Premier League last season, with sports economist Rob Wilson estimating that the club could earn around £90m from the achievement. And Baker says young people who cannot afford to work for free are being "written off" by clubs such as the Royals.

"Reading are a Premier League club who have millions of pounds and they want someone to work unpaid for free for a year," Baker, who is a co-director at Intern Aware, told BBC South Today.

"That is not just unfair on the person who takes the role but it excludes those who cannot afford to work for Reading for free.

"It is quite an expensive area to live in and to work for a year, doing real work, is out of the financial reach for the vast majority of Reading fans and almost everyone else.

"So we think it is unfair and they should be paying at least the national minimum wage."

Reading said in a statement: "Many young people, however well qualified, find it very hard to obtain their first job because they do not have experience.

"Internships give these youngsters the opportunity to gain practical experience, thus enhancing their job prospects considerably. This season we received countless unsolicited applications for internships and formalising the process has been of great benefit to both sides.

"For many years, a huge number of organisations in all types of sectors have offered internships. Companies continue to do so because they give genuine experience in a work environment.

"Indeed, a number of young people with intern experience have gone on to become permanent employees at our club, and another one signed his full time contract just this week."

Former professional footballer Paul Fletcher, now the managing director of the University & College of Football Business, feels internships such as Reading's are highly beneficial.

"They do it at most clubs, it is quite widespread," he revealed. "It may not seem fair but if the person who has taken up the role then goes on to work for the next 40 years in the industry and make a good living, then it is fair."

Of the 10 jobs that are advertised on UK Sport's website offering internships at professional clubs, eight are unpaid while two offer a salary.

But Baker countered: "It may be a great opportunity for someone but [it] might not go to the best person with the best skills. Instead it will go to the person who can afford to work for free.

"It is not just unfair but it damages the reputation of Reading Football Club."

However Fletcher is adamant that the practice of unpaid internships should continue.

"If I had the choice of sending my son to go and work at a Premier League club for free or to stack shelves in a supermarket for 12 months, then I would send him to a Premier League club," he said.

Dream job?

Hold (or be in the process of completing) a postgraduate degree in performance analysis or sports science

Have a performance analysis background, with some previous experience of working in professional/semi-pro football

Hold a UK driving license and have access to their own car

The position is full-time and will require the successful applicant to work unsociable hours from July 2013 - May/June 2014. The post holder will be required to attend all first-team home games and some away games

This role is unpaid and includes no travel expenses

Despite all the usual spin from the club, this is disgraceful.

Equal opportinities????

Time for it to be outlawed, and as a well deserved sting in the tail, all previous unpaid internships recompensed at graduate level pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22125015

Wigan "job role"

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/jobs/Wigan-Athletic-Performance-Analysis-Internship-090413

So they have to travel to home & away games and not get a bean, even in expenses....

The fat cat players have to get their wages plus bonuses for producing their moderate football...

The fat cat players have to get their wages plus bonuses for producing their moderate football...

I take it Mr Fletcher could afford to support their kid becoming an intern for a year, unlike most parents..

I take it Mr Fletcher could afford to support their kid becoming an intern for a year, unlike most parents..

+1 agree....football is a totally fantasy world...

That's a brilliant opportunity for someone lucky enough to get it at Wigan. Some people can't see past the immediate here-and-now. The doors such a position would open at other companies in the future, not to mention the possibility of it leading to a much better position within football, although that's quite remote. Jose with his interpreting job/ stat / report compiling under Robson (so the story goes I read). Villas similar too I think, again guided by Robson.

article-1387105-05E7F046000005DC-338_634x408.jpg

Wigan for the F.A Cup, and for Premiership survival, I hope.

I honestly don't understand why this doesn't come under minimum wage legislation.

I could see someone volunteering to do this at a local rugby club or something to build up experience in the hope of one day landing a dream job in the premier league but if this is the unpaid part where and when are you supposed to make money?

I honestly don't understand why this doesn't come under minimum wage legislation.

I could see someone volunteering to do this at a local rugby club or something to build up experience in the hope of one day landing a dream job in the premier league but if this is the unpaid part where and when are you supposed to make money?

Bosses from all lines of business I've known have been impressed with younger applicants who have football club work experience. Helped get people interviews and stand out from other applicants. Eg juniors who didn't quite make it through to professional. Anecdotes to share, questions for bosses to ask. Even though the position unpaid, they're gonna throw you a few pounds for expenses, and not see you starve. Just got to show you're hungry for it, that's the test here. And there is obviously very little hunger at HPC.

. And there is obviously very little hunger at HPC.

Hunger? If I could grow a fanny, I'd be in Hogans on a Friday night instead of here. Not wasting my time trying to get work experience.

Bosses from all lines of business I've known have been impressed with younger applicants who have football club work experience. Helped get people interviews and stand out from other applicants. Eg juniors who didn't quite make it through to professional. Anecdotes to share, questions for bosses to ask. Even though the position unpaid, they're gonna throw you a few pounds for expenses, and not see you starve. Just got to show you're hungry for it, that's the test here. And there is obviously very little hunger at HPC.

The job ad specifically says no expenses and that you need to travel to games home and away in your own car. If someone is doing this with no other means of income they will almost definitely be (going) hungry for it.

The job ad specifically says no expenses and that you need to travel to games home and away in your own car. If someone is doing this with no other means of income they will almost definitely be (going) hungry for it.

Or be a blonde sloane with rich parents? Oops are we talking about the BBC?

Guest eight

The only boss I can imagine being impressed with an applicant that had previously worked for free would be one looking for somebody to work for free.

Frankly, I wouldn't be at all impressed by someone who worked a whole year for free.

They have demonstrated that they do not have the hunger needed to succeed, but are easily pushed about.

Paying wages is so last century.

Look after the pennies and the (190 million) pounds will look after themselves, says Dave Whelan

Seems ok to me, if you were planning on forking out £2,000 to go to all the home and away games anyway you would have to spend the time working elsewhere to earn the money so may as well spend the time working doing something you enjoy, as presumably the applicants will probably be a supporter of the club.

Frankly, I wouldn't be at all impressed by someone who worked a whole year for free.

They have demonstrated that they do not have the hunger needed to succeed, but are easily pushed about.

Unless they had a guaranteed job at the end of it.

Despite all the usual spin from the club, this is disgraceful.

Equal opportinities????

Time for it to be outlawed, and as a well deserved sting in the tail, all previous unpaid internships recompensed at graduate level pay.

This.

I should think this internship business is a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I was much worse, not only did I work for free, I had 2 other jobs to support myself, my expenses, and the company expenses. I was eventually very well rewarded for this, but at times I recall being looked on as a mug. I knew where I was going and I had the time of my life, if you aren't paying me, I can do what the ****** I like, right?

I was much worse, not only did I work for free, I had 2 other jobs to support myself, my expenses, and the company expenses. I was eventually very well rewarded for this, but at times I recall being looked on as a mug. I knew where I was going and I had the time of my life, if you aren't paying me, I can do what the ****** I like, right?

As someone else pointed out, a guaranteed, well paid job at the end of it and you can consider it an apprenticeship or articles.

BUT you will know that during your training you will be contracted to receive a Master/Pupil relationship which will give you valued skills.

As someone else pointed out, a guaranteed, well paid job at the end of it and you can consider it an apprenticeship or articles.

BUT you will know that during your training you will be contracted to receive a Master/Pupil relationship which will give you valued skills.

The hardest person to convince I was worth paying was the one I was working for, free :)

We had interns after that who had to be cajoled into going to the post office they were so above it, really twisted my melons that. Still, a large part of the economy is based on people not doing it themselves.

The hardest person to convince I was worth paying was the one I was working for, free :)

We had interns after that who had to be cajoled into going to the post office they were so above it, really twisted my melons that. Still, a large part of the economy is based on people not doing it themselves.

Very true. ;)

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I think the problem with this (and there is a problem, no doubt), is that they can find people who will be an intern for free.

In a normally functioning economy people wouldn't do a job for free. Or if they did it would be a rational choice based on their circumstances and the attractiveness of the voluntary work to them. The reason that Wigan and Reading (and anyone else) can find people to be interns for free is because the overall work situation is so dire that it becomes an attractive option to someone who really wants/needs to earn a wage, better to be doing something than nothing etc.

Therefore the right solution to this problem is to correct the economy, make employment easier to find and more plentiful, so making intern work less attractive and therefore about choice not exploitation.

Banning it, legislating against it, just adds yet more cumbersome regulation which is a big part of the root of the problem more generally.

Edit: Clarity