House Price Crash Forum

Didsbury

Didsbury84

HOLA441

What I don't get is why Stockport is in the bubble. There are some nice parts of Stockport where I can see how they sell for more then is typical (though I disagree with the price). However nothing special parts of Stockport like Offerton are also sky high at the moment. There's no swanky wine bars in central Stockport, or Cheese Hamlets and clock towers!

HOLA442
20 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

What I don't get is why Stockport is in the bubble. There are some nice parts of Stockport where I can see how they sell for more then is typical (though I disagree with the price). However nothing special parts of Stockport like Offerton are also sky high at the moment. There's no swanky wine bars in central Stockport, or Cheese Hamlets and clock towers!

Seems strange. 2 hours to London, close to Manchester? Motorway access? I'm somewhat baffled.

HOLA443

Mind your something similarly weird exists in the posh North Yorkshire commuter towns, Ilkley, Harrogate etc. Out of proportion to the actual amenity of the places. So maybe a general trend is simply for the monied middle classes to be speculating on location. And Stockport gets it by association with Cheshire.

HOLA444

The posh commutervilles of Cheshire and North Yorkshire must be getting a London ripple effect, that's all I can think of. Being ungrim Northern facsimiles of the home counties, with their own local ripples coming into play (Stockport)

HOLA445
21 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Schools?

Stepping Hill? Didn’t that get priority over Wythie Gen?

Stockpoort also has what is reportedly the best restaurant in Manchester.

Edited by EmmaRoid

HOLA446
36 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

Schools?

Stepping Hill? Didn’t that get priority over Wythie Gen?

Stockpoort also has what is reportedly the best restaurant in Manchester.

That's very much the kind of thing that attracts the sharp elbowed middle classes bomad funds.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Save me from the madness! said:

All I can think is that the sales volumes are so low, the figures are distorted by high value stuff in the Heatons, Bramhall, Marple Bridge, and the semi-rural bits. All I remember of Offerton is hundreds/thousands of drab dormer roof bungalow type houses on monotonous estates. 2-3 years ago I thought Edgeley didn't look too expensive considering its nice period houses (don't know the area/schools though) but I bet that's now silly expensive too.

Who are the big employers in Stockport now? I know manufacturing/Engineering is pretty much non existent since the 90's at least. Just Manchester commuters buying into the Cheshire dream?

HOLA4410
4 hours ago, Andy T said:

All I can think is that the sales volumes are so low, the figures are distorted by high value stuff in the Heatons, Bramhall, Marple Bridge, and the semi-rural bits. All I remember of Offerton is hundreds/thousands of drab dormer roof bungalow type houses on monotonous estates. 2-3 years ago I thought Edgeley didn't look too expensive considering its nice period houses (don't know the area/schools though) but I bet that's now silly expensive too.

Who are the big employers in Stockport now? I know manufacturing/Engineering is pretty much non existent since the 90's at least. Just Manchester commuters buying into the Cheshire dream?

I'm not sure who the major employers are really. There's a Sky call centre, Co-operative bank office, lots of car show rooms (almost every brand of car is in Stockport). Nothing particularly stand out. BAE and their small airport in Woodford are gone to be replaced by a new housing estate at about a minimum of £450,000... Somewhat ironic that a high paying employer leaves, and expensive housing is put in its place. None of it makes financial sense. I can see jobs the pay quite well, but not enough to support the massive house prices.

4 houses I thought were good but just too much of a stretch financially have all gone sold. No idea for how much exactly but asking prices around £340,000 to £380.000.

Going back to my original post, I think I'll go down the loft conversion route. Dormers aren't exactly the prettiest of things, but far cheaper than moving with the added benefit creating local employment and benefit rather then paying interest to a bank.

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Save me from the madness! said:

I'm not sure who the major employers are really. There's a Sky call centre, Co-operative bank office, lots of car show rooms (almost every brand of car is in Stockport). Nothing particularly stand out. BAE and their small airport in Woodford are gone to be replaced by a new housing estate at about a minimum of £450,000... Somewhat ironic that a high paying employer leaves, and expensive housing is put in its place. None of it makes financial sense. I can see jobs the pay quite well, but not enough to support the massive house prices.

4 houses I thought were good but just too much of a stretch financially have all gone sold. No idea for how much exactly but asking prices around £340,000 to £380.000.

Going back to my original post, I think I'll go down the loft conversion route. Dormers aren't exactly the prettiest of things, but far cheaper than moving with the added benefit creating local employment and benefit rather then paying interest to a bank.

It's well connected for a lot of commutes including London, on the train, of you were going to stay in London a few nights, I'd say. Local employment surely can't be enough to justify that.

Major employers in Wirral, Liverpool, Manchester, West Yorkshire, Lancashire, North Midlands on the motorway. And Birmingham and London on the west coast main line.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4412
9 minutes ago, Si1 said:

It's well connected for a lot of commutes including London, on the train, of you were going to stay in London a few nights, I'd say. Local employment surely can't be enough to justify that.

What do you consider to be "local" employment? Train to Manchester and access to M56 makes Warrington and even Chester possible. Still quite a few decent jobs in the Wilmslow/Macc areas as well. 

edit ( I won't even mention Sheffield/Leeds as you would have to be certifiably mad to want to head east everyday :lol:)

Edited by EmmaRoid

HOLA4413
13 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

What do you consider to be "local" employment? Train to Manchester and access to M56 makes Warrington and even Chester possible. Still quite a few decent jobs in the Wilmslow/Macc areas as well. 

edit ( I won't even mention Sheffield/Leeds as you would have to be certifiably mad to want to head east everyday :lol:)

I live in West Yorkshire and I've known a few people who did exactly that, 3 to be precise. In good white collar employment. Just fill in work for a few years until something came up more locally. But yes you would need to be mad. Or a mortgage slave.

HOLA4414

The people I know in Stockport just tend to work in the wider Manchester economy. Sometimes in Stockport itself, sometimes not. Think of it as more of a South Manchester bubble ramping/overspill type thing, rather than its own individual bubble. It's not long on the train into the city centre, and the schools are seen as being a bit better than the City of Manchester which even in Chorlton and Didsbury can still be a bit tasty.

The roads in Stockport are basically a bloody nightmare pretty much everywhere though. If I lived there I'd definitely not be using a car to do any length of commute. 

HOLA4415
On 1/17/2018 at 11:04 AM, Andy T said:

M20 postcode up around 7-8% in last 12 months I think. I track M20, M21 Chorlton, M33 Sale etc.  - Chorlton had overtaken Didsbury for a while in price increases/average selling price but in the last few months Didsbury has caught up and overtaken (both around £310k average price!!!) All of these places are in a ridiculous bubble at the moment, even rougher areas neighbouring Chorlton like Stretford and Old Trafford have had similar increases. M41 Urmston where I live, a typical house is now 75 to 100k dearer than it was in early 2014 when the masses started buying again.

South Manchester/Trafford/Stockport is in a massive bubble currently, relative to the rest of Greater Manchester/North West

It's completely insane isn't it.  The bubble is just inflating and inflating, transaction volumes must be tiny as I've been following overpriced 2-3 bedroom places in roads within walking distance on propertybee, they've been SSTC and back a few times but not sold.  No reductions in kite-flying prices ... must be expensive keeping up mortgage payments / council tax etc on those empty places.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, jfk said:

It's completely insane isn't it.  The bubble is just inflating and inflating, transaction volumes must be tiny as I've been following overpriced 2-3 bedroom places in roads within walking distance on propertybee, they've been SSTC and back a few times but not sold.  No reductions in kite-flying prices ... must be expensive keeping up mortgage payments / council tax etc on those empty places.

Indeed. An estate agent in my area that had a prominent position in the town centre has closed down recently, and there has not been any increased competition in the last 5 years at least, it must be the small number of purchase transactions that is killing them,  even allowing for the lettings side which is probably propping the rest of them up.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417

South Manchester is ridiculous, made even more so by the likes of JP brimlow etc trying to flog houses in Moss Side for 150k. We're talking here about 1.5/2 bed terraces!. As mentioned probably on here, its the have nots from Didsbury and Chorlton causing this absurd rise.

Their smug faces make me laugh, I just let my partner mutter in French to me and I agree with most of the things shes saying. Actually I better tell her to keep it quieter now as no doubt they read such boards.

Connards indeed. Oh well, au suivant...

HOLA4418
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, frye said:

South Manchester is ridiculous, made even more so by the likes of JP brimlow etc trying to flog houses in Moss Side for 150k. We're talking here about 1.5/2 bed terraces!. As mentioned probably on here, its the have nots from Didsbury and Chorlton causing this absurd rise.

Their smug faces make me laugh, I just let my partner mutter in French to me and I agree with most of the things shes saying. Actually I better tell her to keep it quieter now as no doubt they read such boards.

Connards indeed. Oh well, au suivant...

JP Brimlow, 'Premier' type tosser estate agents. No doubt selling Moss Side as being part of   the City Centre, close to the Universities etc, blogging about the place no doubt. Leave them to it, you don't want to be living in Moss Side.

Just did a quick search on rightmove, scary stuff the most expensive listing is a terrace for offers over £280k (!!!), and it has steel bars on the front windows, I kid not.

HOLA4419
On 2/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, Andy T said:

JP Brimlow, 'Premier' type tosser estate agents. No doubt selling Moss Side as being part of   the City Centre, close to the Universities etc, blogging about the place no doubt. Leave them to it, you don't want to be living in Moss Side.

Just did a quick search on rightmove, scary stuff the most expensive listing is a terrace for offers over £280k (!!!), and it has steel bars on the front windows, I kid not.

Evening

Well I've just seen the property you mentioned, yeah you definitely dont want to be living on Great Western Street!. Very true what you say about JP Brimelow.

Nothing wrong though with Moss Side, lived here before but moved away, now im not far away from the area and wanting to settle down round here again but not at these prices. Course there's brexit to consider also

HOLA4420