House Price Crash Forum

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how prices are holding up in Didsbury?

I've had an offer rejected at 95% of the asking price. The vendor is holding out for more although there are no other offers on the table.

That would seem a fair offer, unless Didsbury is somehow weathering the present storm to a greater extent than elsewhere.

Would also be very interested to hear views on how the new metrolink might impact in Didsbury. I'm considering another property that's very close to the new line, although it doesn't overlook it directly. Transport for Greater Manchester says the new trams and tracks are extremely quiet - quieter than a bus for instance. I've certainly heard few complaints from houses near the recently opened section in Chorlton.

Hi, welcome to the forum - or, if you've been viewing for some time previously, pleased to see you've joined.

I only keep the light tabs on the market situation in Didsbury so not really in a position to answer. Also am unsure of the tram situation; seen the new terminal going up at Parrs Wood but that's about it.

Hope you've got Property-Bee installed. If you haven't, getting it might help you better assess the market situation.

Hi, welcome to the forum - or, if you've been viewing for some time previously, pleased to see you've joined.

I only keep the light tabs on the market situation in Didsbury so not really in a position to answer. Also am unsure of the tram situation; seen the new terminal going up at Parrs Wood but that's about it.

Hope you've got Property-Bee installed. If you haven't, getting it might help you better assess the market situation.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have property bee installed. My impression is that Didsbury is no stronger than anywhere else at present.

Properties come on over-priced, sit there for a while and either stay there unsold or come down 5-10k.

Properties that come on fairly priced for a quick sale disappear within a couple of months.

Didsbury is VERY popular with the "pink pound" and therefore prices are quite strong.

I have several friends who love the area and tell all their friends how cosmopolitan it is at night

so houses do seem to sell quickly - people seem to have swopped the city centre for didsbury

It is also a popular hunting ground for the BTL chaps who seem to have no problems renting them out

I'm looking forward to it. Means I can get there more easily from Alty without relying on the infrequent and very expensive bus service. Just checked prices and the tram, Altrincham to West Dids is cheaper than the bus!

Saying that, I know some people living there who turn their noses up at Hale as its not good enough for them...

I'm looking forward to it. Means I can get there more easily from Alty without relying on the infrequent and very expensive bus service. Just checked prices and the tram, Altrincham to West Dids is cheaper than the bus!

Saying that, I know some people living there who turn their noses up at Hale as its not good enough for them...

So how does that work? Looks like Altrincham > Cornbrook, then Cornbrook > Didsbury?

Good for pubs/bars in Didsbury too, and seems to go almost as far as Kingsway/Parrs Wood which is helpful.

Much better investment than the HS2

So how does that work? Looks like Altrincham > Cornbrook, then Cornbrook > Didsbury?

Good for pubs/bars in Didsbury too, and seems to go almost as far as Kingsway/Parrs Wood which is helpful.

Much better investment than the HS2

Trafford bar is last joint stop. 4 trams an hour better than 1 bus.

The metropolitan is a lovely pub even with the clientele

Conversely, maybe my mates will now venture further south too.

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

Trafford bar is last joint stop. 4 trams an hour better than 1 bus.

The metropolitan is a lovely pub even with the clientele

Conversely, maybe my mates will now venture further south too.

Ah ok. I've just checked prices and it says £5.90 peak, £4.20 off peak which is cheaper than driving.

I'll have to give the Metropolitan a try, thanks.

Yep, should work both ways. Good for places like the Old Market Tavern and the Cinammon club in Alty too I'd have thought.

Alty to Didders I would budget at least 45mins. Change at trafford bar means up and down the stairs to cross platforms. Cornbrook means potentially missing your connection but easy. Deuchars IPA and Taylors Landlord are recommeded at the Met. Dinner is cheap and cheerful at the Greenfinch. I like the hobgoblin.

Alty to Didders I would budget at least 45mins. Change at trafford bar means up and down the stairs to cross platforms. Cornbrook means potentially missing your connection but easy. Deuchars IPA and Taylors Landlord are recommeded at the Met. Dinner is cheap and cheerful at the Greenfinch. I like the hobgoblin.

Could have walked it (and back) waiting for you to reply

I had to do it twice before feeling able to comment.

I don't just make this shit up.

Well do you think you could next time, like everybody else.

13/10/2016 at 08:54
Looks like auctions are being hit aswell I haven’t bought for nearly a year

https://www.propertyinvestortoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2016/10/property-auction-market-activity-continues-to-contract

^ Big BTLer very frustrated about Section24.

Interesting to see a couple of Didsbury properties going to auction.  Hopefully fewer BTLers in the market (there will be some.... so many BTLers/property investors don't know about S24 yet, although 3% SDLT surcharge is something real now).  

Not seen any Didsbury property come to auction for a very long time.  Hope it's just the beginning.  Just guide prices and  imagine enough property-mad heads will be there to outbid each other at this stage of the market.

Guide £175,000 http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62530733.html

Sold Prices historical for the postcode http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/M20-6TU.html

Bit further out 

Guide Price £250,000 http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62530721.html

Sold Prices historical for the postcode http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/M20-6JS.html

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/home.asp

Sad to say but I'd imagine the second property will go for much more than 250k, nice looking house and I'd imagine builders/developers will be fighting over it even if it is a state inside. It could have structural issues and be unmortgageable hence auction. Same style of house on that road sold for 425 recently, even though it is on the Burnage side of Didsbury. Sure it will be flipped in a matter of months.

Chorlton seems to of overtaken Didsbury for bubbliness, higher average price and larger price increases in the last few years. Both places are mad in terms of pricing, paying a massive premium just for a lifestyle postcode in the grotty outskirts of the centres.

A reasonable position to take.  I also stressed they were just guide prices.

Of interest to me, both in the auction entries... (main catalogue link below for it doesn't like direct linkage)

Lot 102: BY ORDER OF MOUN***** ESTATES PLC

Lot 98: BY ORDER OF MOUN***** ESTATES PLC

?  

Read that name before, but I'm not going to look into it.

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/home.asp

If we have fewer BTL buyers in the market as buyers (hello SDLT surcharge on most flippers/BTLers, and S24 on the horizon), and actually some BTLers as sellers, things could possibly get interesting very quickly.  

Seen the flippers come in time after time in recent years.  Hoping it will drop a bit more, but then falls to a flipper, who gives it the modern look, and in most cases sells it on for a mad prices.

Although I do think they will be speculators over these properties at those guide prices.   Yes; recently enjoyed some discussion with a pal living in Chorlton (there are some very nice parts though imo) who is HPC minded, and appears to be surprised at just how very very expensive things have become there.

Edited by Venger

On 10/18/2016 at 1:38 PM, Andy T said:

Sad to say but I'd imagine the second property will go for much more than 250k, nice looking house and I'd imagine builders/developers will be fighting over it even if it is a state inside. It could have structural issues and be unmortgageable hence auction. Same style of house on that road sold for 425 recently, even though it is on the Burnage side of Didsbury. Sure it will be flipped in a matter of months.

Chorlton seems to of overtaken Didsbury for bubbliness, higher average price and larger price increases in the last few years. Both places are mad in terms of pricing, paying a massive premium just for a lifestyle postcode in the grotty outskirts of the centres.

Yes.

#102 Result: Sold £247,000
http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDetails.asp?A=969&MP=84&ID=969000155&S=L&O=A

#98 Result: Sold £357,500
http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDetails.asp?A=969&MP=84&ID=969000151&S=L&O=A

Looks like the madness has continued. I'm genuinely surprised at the recent uplift in prices in Didsbury - I cant see a reason for it (is it the bbc relocating?!!) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area/marketTrendsTotalPropertiesSoldAndAveragePrice.html?searchLocation=m20&sellersPriceGuide=Start+Search

This is next door to Burnage - the same place the Gallagher brothers described as a shithole in the 90s that they couldn't wait to escape!

Edited by Drummer

M20 postcode up around 7-8% in last 12 months I think. I track M20, M21 Chorlton, M33 Sale etc.  - Chorlton had overtaken Didsbury for a while in price increases/average selling price but in the last few months Didsbury has caught up and overtaken (both around £310k average price!!!) All of these places are in a ridiculous bubble at the moment, even rougher areas neighbouring Chorlton like Stretford and Old Trafford have had similar increases. M41 Urmston where I live, a typical house is now 75 to 100k dearer than it was in early 2014 when the masses started buying again.

South Manchester/Trafford/Stockport is in a massive bubble currently, relative to the rest of Greater Manchester/North West

Edited by Andy T