House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Has Anyone Noticed That The Magnetic Pole Has Been Moving Around Erratically In The Last Few Days?

I have a good quality compass with a rectangular outer casing that is sitting in the bed room on the top surface of a low cupboard against the wall, so I know the compass itself is always aligned the same.

As is well known the magnetic pole has been moving from Canada towards Siberia over the last few decades (and accelerating in more recent years) and I was able to follow that over the last few years where I have been seen the needle drift a few degrees from west to east (very gradually).

A few days ago I noticed the needle was pointing straight north again (relative to how my compass is positioned) and just now I noticed that it's actually pointing a few degrees west again!

Now I know that local magnetic fields could influenece the compass, but the compass is a few metres away from the nearest electrical devices and I have not added or removed any electrical devices anywhere near it.

I would really like to find out if this is some local 'interference' or if something unusual is really going on.

Does anyone have any links to web sites that show the current magnetic north pole position and it's path over the last few days/weeks/months?

I haven't found any site that shows up-to-date info.

P.S: I realise this post might sound tinfoil-hattish, so to clarify my interest in the matter is purely scientific curiosity, please don't pollute the thread with conspiracy theories, thanks.

---

We could be getting close to a pole reversal then. Interesting

By ek!, me pigeons might get lost!

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/magnetic-north-shifting-by-40-miles-a-year-might-signal-pole-r (2011)

Yes I did read a few articles on the subject over the last few years and that's one of the reasons I decided to position my compass in a fixed position to be able to observe this but never before the last few days have I seen such a drastic change (2-3 degrees!) in such a short amount of time.

The article talks about 1 degree every 5 years which if I'm not mistaken would actually be a bit more when seen on a compass located in Europe due to us being closer to the north pole, so this matches roughly what I observed over the last few years:

the speed that it is shifting. In the last decade alone, movement has increased by a third, throwing off compasses by roughly 1 degree every five years.

I'm not excluding that something local might have influenced my compass in the last few days (although I have no idea what), that's why I would really like to see a web site that shows the current position of the magnetic pole and it's recent movements.

Thanks, that link looks potentially interesting, unfortunately it's a bit over my head... :(

Edit: it looks like that site only shows the magnetic field of the earth not the geographic position of the magnetic north pole so it doesn't seem to be what I was looking for, but then it might be me misunderstanding the data.

Thanks, that link looks potentially interesting, unfortunately it's a bit over my head... :(

Not a geographical plot but daily, minute by minute, data for declination

If the pole was moving quickly declination should move also.

Pick a station near to your location and run off a declination plot for the last few days

e.g. It was quiet yesterday in North-Central France

11jyouv.jpg

Yes I did read a few articles on the subject over the last few years and that's one of the reasons I decided to position my compass in a fixed position to be able to observe this but never before the last few days have I seen such a drastic change (2-3 degrees!) in such a short amount of time.

You sure no-one is messing with your compass just to wind you up? Hiding magnets, moving the compass or whatever it's on slightly...

Have you checked if you have any electrical items nearby which might be generating a weak field?

You sure no-one is messing with your compass just to wind you up? Hiding magnets, moving the compass or whatever it's on slightly...

Certainly nobody in my flat, of course I can't know if my neighbours have bought giant speakers with strong permanent magnets, but I'm not sure they would have an effect on the compass over several metres distance.

Have you checked if you have any electrical items nearby which might be generating a weak field?

Yes as I said in my first post nothing has changed in my flat in the last few days anywhere near the compass (actually nowhere in my flat).

Failing that, this kind of headgear will protect you from magnetic fields.

ali21.jpg

I have a good quality compass with a rectangular outer casing that is sitting in the bed room on the top surface of a low cupboard against the wall, so I know the compass itself is always aligned the same.

As is well known the magnetic pole has been moving from Canada towards Siberia over the last few decades (and accelerating in more recent years) and I was able to follow that over the last few years where I have been seen the needle drift a few degrees from west to east (very gradually).

A few days ago I noticed the needle was pointing straight north again (relative to how my compass is positioned) and just now I noticed that it's actually pointing a few degrees west again!

Now I know that local magnetic fields could influenece the compass, but the compass is a few metres away from the nearest electrical devices and I have not added or removed any electrical devices anywhere near it.

I would really like to find out if this is some local 'interference' or if something unusual is really going on.

Does anyone have any links to web sites that show the current magnetic north pole position and it's path over the last few days/weeks/months?

I haven't found any site that shows up-to-date info.

P.S: I realise this post might sound tinfoil-hattish, so to clarify my interest in the matter is purely scientific curiosity, please don't pollute the thread with conspiracy theories, thanks.

---

Most large bits of metal put near it will affect it. This can include materials that you don't normally think of as magnetic (eg A2 stainless). Something like a streetlamp replacer might do it. I don't have a feel for how sensitive compass needles are but I used to work in a lab where we shimmed magnets to ppb level. We had to set up a massive exclusion zone around the magnet to stop ferromagnetic materials distorting the primary field. This included students who used to park their bikes on the far wall, and shimming out the effect of the steel girders in the building.

I think it is unlikely that the pole would shift that much without drawing attention - because everyone in the world can measure it and it would require a massive collective shut up in order to suppress the information.

Most large bits of metal put near it will affect it. This can include materials that you don't normally think of as magnetic (eg A2 stainless). Something like a streetlamp replacer might do it. I don't have a feel for how sensitive compass needles are but I used to work in a lab where we shimmed magnets to ppb level. We had to set up a massive exclusion zone around the magnet to stop ferromagnetic materials distorting the primary field. This included students who used to park their bikes on the far wall, and shimming out the effect of the steel girders in the building.

Do you think a scaffolding about 50 metres down the road could affect my compass?

That's the only change I'm aware of (the scaffolding has been put up 3 days ago), like I said the compass is in the bedroom, nothing metallic has been put or taken away in the bedroom or in the adjacent second bedroom.

Thing is, over the last few years I have never seen such a sudden change and there have been other scaffoldings in the vicinity on a few occasions.

Do you think a scaffolding about 50 metres down the road could affect my compass?

That's the only change I'm aware of (the scaffolding has been put up 3 days ago), like I said the compass is in the bedroom, nothing metallic has been put or taken away in the bedroom or in the adjacent second bedroom.

Thing is, over the last few years I have never seen such a sudden change and there have been other scaffoldings in the vicinity on a few occasions.

Extremely unlikely I would say at that distance.

But if someone parked a car say within a few metres that could do.

50m is a long way. These sorts of thing weaken exponentially with distance. So, no. Not that you'd notice.

Something that caught me out plotting stuff on a map once were the metal supports underneath the table I was working on. They knocked my compass right out of whack and varied strongly depending on where the compass was sitting on the table.

Extremely unlikely I would say at that distance.

Thanks, I though so.

But if someone parked a car say within a few metres that could do.

The street is 15-20 metres away from the location of the compass, so no cars anywhere near it.

Of course it's a flat building so I have no idea if my flat-neighbours have changed anything in their flats but that would be at least 5 metres away horizontally and/or 2 metres vertically and AFAIK the building is made of reinforced concrete which I imagine shields the flats somewhat from each other electromagnetically.

Something that caught me out plotting stuff on a map once were the metal supports underneath the table I was working on. They knocked my compass right out of whack and varied strongly depending on where the compass was sitting on the table.

The cupboard my compass is sitting on is made of wood, so except for the screws/nails that hold it together there is no metal nearby and I haven't changed the position of the compass.

I'd have thought it's almost certainly an artefact associated with your immediate environment, or just possibly some atmospheric effect such as changes in the ionosphere. Even though the north magnetic pole is currently moving relatively rapidly, at around 60 km per year, this is still only going to amount to a degree or so per year or thereabouts in the UK. Movements resulting in changes in the order of degrees per day are not plausible when you consider that the magnetic field is created by a system as large as the Earth's core.

Thanks, I though so.

The street is 15-20 metres away from the location of the compass, so no cars anywhere near it.

Of course it's a flat building so I have no idea if my flat-neighbours have changed anything in their flats but that would be at least 5 metres away horizontally and/or 2 metres vertically and AFAIK the building is made of reinforced concrete which I imagine shields the flats somewhat from each other electromagnetically.

Someone moving a cooker around might do it. 5m is still a pretty long way away. I suppose if it was the cooker from hell and contained about 2 tons of iron ...

Someone moving a cooker around might do it. 5m is still a pretty long way away. I suppose if it was the cooker from hell and contained about 2 tons of iron ...

The kitchens are on the other side of the building (AFAIK the flats all have the same layout) so more than 5 metres away, maybe the neighbours have put a cooker from hell in their bedroom? ;)

Here is a photo of the compass with the current position, last time I checked it a few days ago the needle was aligned dead-on north<->south:

compass.jpg

post-6981-0-15359100-1365770821_thumb.jpg

I'd have thought it's almost certainly an artefact associated with your immediate environment, or just possibly some atmospheric effect such as changes in the ionosphere. Even though the north magnetic pole is currently moving relatively rapidly, at around 60 km per year, this is still only going to amount to a degree or so per year or thereabouts in the UK. Movements resulting in changes in the order of degrees per day are not plausible when you consider that the magnetic field is created by a system as large as the Earth's core.

I agree with you, in fact up to recently that's what I had been observing over the last few years, a gradual move of the needle from west to east of about 1 degree per year (roughly), but I'm still puzzled what caused this sudden change (even if it's something local) and I'm still curious to see a map that shows the magnetic pole position in real time, if such a map exists anywhere on the net.

Could the solar flare that's supposed to hit the earth today/tomorrow have anything to do with this?

http://www.spaceweather.com/

STRONG SOLAR FLARE: The magnetic field of sunspot AR1719 erupted on April 11th at 0716 UT, producing an M6-class solar flare. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the explosion's extreme ultraviolet flash:

Shortly after the flare, a CME emerged from the blast site. NOAA forecasters estimate a 60% chance of geomagnetic storms on April 13th when the cloud reaches Earth.

Could the solar flare that's supposed to hit the earth today/tomorrow have anything to do with this?

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Yes, that's sounds like a possible candidate! From Wikipedia:

There are several space weather phenomena which tend to be associated with or are caused by a geomagnetic storm. These include: Solar Energetic Particle (SEP) events, geomagnetically induced currents (GIC), ionospheric disturbances which cause radio and radar scintillation, disruption of navigation by magnetic compass and auroral displays at much lower latitudes than normal. In 1989, a geomagnetic storm energized ground induced currents which disrupted electric power distribution throughout most of the province of Quebec and caused aurorae as far south as Texas.