House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'most Energy-Efficient' Led Light Revealed By Philips

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22106718

Lighting company Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-efficient".

It said the prototype tube lighting LED is twice as efficient as those currently used in offices and industry around the world but offers the same amount of light.

Being able to halve the amount of energy used could bring huge cost and energy savings.

Lighting accounts for more than 19% of global electricity consumption.

The prototype tube lighting produces 200 lumens per watt (200lm/W) compared with 100lm/W for equivalent strip lighting and 15lm/W for traditional light bulbs.

I wonder how long before they hit the market?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22106718

I wonder how long before they hit the market?

Wonder no more:

from your link:

Philips expects the light to go on the market in 2015, initially to replace office lighting.

Not sure office managers care much about the electricity bill (otherwise they'd switch the lights off at night)

However in my experience the fluorescent ones are constantly failing and when they do they drive you batty buzzing and flickering. Must cost a fortune in maintenance. Bring on LED's....

"A group of researchers in the US have unveiled an LED which emits more light energy than it consumes in electrical energy." :blink:

I find it a bit far fetched! Sounds like one of these "cold fusion" scams! :blink:

"A group of researchers in the US have unveiled an LED which emits more light energy than it consumes in electrical energy." :blink:

I find it a bit far fetched! Sounds like one of these "cold fusion" scams! :blink:

Well, MIT do run a two-week short course on LENR (polite words for "cold fusion").

The LED abstracts energy from it's own surroundings, allegedly. Sounds like a calorimetry nightmare to me.