House Price Crash Forum
Skirmish

The Fun Of Buying A House

Well after 9 happy years we decided to sell our house last year and although we had some viewings during 2012 there were no offers.

Then, the weekend when we had loads of snow in January, we suddenly, out of the blue, had five viewings. One offer followed, shortly followed by another. The result of this was that we managed to get our asking price.

As part of the sale we asked to be allowed to stay in our house till the end of May, thinking that would be ample time to find our new dream house.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked out like that and we are still looking although there are two properties we've made offers on. The houses are not straightforward though as one has had a garage converted into a kitchen but without building regulations. The other is next to a River and is classed as a moderate flood risk according to the Environment Agency map. This flood risk makes an insurance premium of £850/year which is quite a cost. I also think that insurance premiums for flood risk areas could go up even more as the government deal guaranteeing flood cover ends in June. Goodness knows how that could affect policies.

Apart from that though the two houses are nice and I reckon we could probably get them for a price that we would be happy with.

If anyone can offer a little advice on our dilemma it would be very much appreciated.

Well done, when did you exchange/complete ?

I suppose the completion date is the last day of May when we're actually out of our house. Contracts have been signed though so it will all go through.

I suppose the completion date is the last day of May when we're actually out of our house. Contracts have been signed though so it will all go through.

I wouldn't count on it. You won't believe the nonsense that can go on after contracts have been signed. Only when you've exchanged contracts can you feel a little more sure of things.

It look like you have all the answers already, but, if you will forgive me for making the observation, you are reluctant to come to the obvious conclusion.

You have two apparently unsatisfactory houses that you could get for a price you would be happy with, which appears to be swaying your judgement. One risks being unsalable next time round, the other risks being uninsurable economically now and then unsalable when you get fed up with being flooded every 3 years.

Move on. Intensify the search. Look for properties that appeal to both heart and head. In case of conflict, ignore the heart. If necessary, procrastinate on the exchange of contracts. If you have got a magnificent sale, consider moving to rented accomodation until you find the dream home. And so on.