House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Lead In The Rice

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22099990

"According to the FDA, they have to be more than 10 times the PTTI levels (to cause a health concern), and our values were two to 12 times higher than those 10 times," he told BBC News.
"If you look through the scientific literature, especially on India and China, they irrigate their crops with raw sewage effluent and untreated industrial effluent," he explained.

Perhaps I should just concentrate of buying some land and growing my own food, a la The Good Life; I'm paranoid enough when it comes to eating and now we can add rice to the list of things that might be poisonous!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22099990

Perhaps I should just concentrate of buying some land and growing my own food, a la The Good Life; I'm paranoid enough when it comes to eating and now we can add rice to the list of things that might be poisonous!

Likely to be plenty of lead in home grown food too - a legacy of 70 years of use of lead in petrol. Im sure if the net and HPC had been around when it was proposed to be phased out the usual crowd would have labelled this as the work of evil econazi socilaist loon types :D

Arsenic is an even bigger problem than lead with rice. Rice from the US and from Bangladesh is especially contaminated with arsenic, US rice is often grown in former cotton fields where arsenic has been used as pesticide, while Bangladesh has a naturally arsenic rich ground.

What was that cure for lead poisoning?

Sit around all day in the bath and drink beer?

Can I have some more rice please?

On a serious note, some people living around the Mendips are told not to grow veggies because of lead contaminated soils.