House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Who Is To Blame For The Credit Crunch And All Pestillence Ever? - Poll

The longer this goes on, the more sympathy i have for the old crone. Our current predicament may well be attributed to some of her policies but we've had 4 (and a half) PMs since she was ousted 23 years ago. Is no one since responsible for not changing these policies?

As for the people who still blame her for everything, well, we can all hide behind these reactive rationalisations but we know the truth, don't we?

Charles Darwin.

Before Darwin disease was a moral failure, after Darwin merely pestilence. Social Darwinism gave us Margaret Thatcher, ironically for whom poverty was a moral failure.

She helped free us from the clutches of Scargill and his red buddies.

Other than that, i cant see much she did has improved the country.

That's why she's so divisive - some see her as a hero for dealing with that lot and others see her as a villain for all the collateral. Lots of people only seem to look at one of those and ignore the rest, e.g. the lefties who seem blind to the fact that something needed doing, or people who seem to think that later politicians not actually changing much somehow absolves her of what she set in motion.

Who do we preferred to be screwed over by, bankers or miners?

She helped free us from the clutches of Scargill and his red buddies.

Other than that, i cant see much she did has improved the country.

She did considerable to improve the world.

By hastening the end of the Cold War she also indirectly helped ring the curtains on apartheid S Africa and on several (anti-communist) dictatorships in S America.

And don't get me started on how prescient on "Europe" she is clearly seen to be.

Please can you add 'God' to the poll options.

Didn't think you'd pass up the chance to vote for Fatcher mate. Still in the interests of balance let's have Old Nick in there as well.

The longer this goes on, the more sympathy i have for the old crone. Our current predicament may well be attributed to some of her policies but we've had 4 (and a half) PMs since she was ousted 23 years ago. Is no one since responsible for not changing these policies?

As for the people who still blame her for everything, well, we can all hide behind these reactive rationalisations but we know the truth, don't we?

Dont be silly. Before Thatcher the uk was an earthly paradise. She ruined everything and everything since that has happened is her fault personally.

We're all born to be screwed by bankers mate, and mine-workers are no exception to that.

But unlike you and me, at least they had the balls to fight back.

Their fatal mistake was that tit Scargill. Thatcher couldn't lose with that gimp at the helm, and she sure got her revenge for their earlier annihilation of Ted Heath - and then some...!

So she wins, communities die. New game in town.

Question is though, exactly how did the miners screw you personally over in any way, shape or form..?

Bankers have been screwing you 24/7 for your entire life and you lap it up. They did it to your parents, and your kids will suffer the same fate.

Yet a few pit-men demand a few quid extra a week back from the bankers and they've screwed YOU over...?

Talk sense man...

XYY

We're all born to be screwed by bankers mate, and mine-workers are no exception to that.

But unlike you and me, at least they had the balls to fight back.

Their fatal mistake was that tit Scargill. Thatcher couldn't lose with that gimp at the helm, and she sure got her revenge for their earlier annihilation of Ted Heath - and then some...!

So she wins, communities die. New game in town.

Question is though, exactly how did the miners screw you personally over in any way, shape or form..?

Bankers have been screwing you 24/7 for your entire life and you lap it up. They did it to your parents, and your kids will suffer the same fate.

Yet a few pit-men demand a few quid extra a week back from the bankers and they've screwed YOU over...?

Talk sense man...

The miners were screwing us then in exactly the same way as the bankers are doing now: by getting the government to take money from us at gunpoint, and hand it over to them.

The miners were simply the most visible example. Union demands by the end of the 70s weren't exactly healthy for the country and a lot of people were feeling the effects of it. Not me personally I admit, since I was only born in the mid 70s so wasn't really all that aware of what was going on at the time.

All I said was that some key changes that lead us to where we are today, were made under her watch. Notably 'Big Bang' and the firing gun for global regulatory arbitrage and the race to the bottom with New York. st.

I'll let Jeremy Warner answer that one: Ten myths about Margaret Thatcher exploded

4. She sowed the seeds for today’s banking crisis. Rubbish. If by this is meant freer credit conditions and the Big Bang stock market reforms, both actually pre-date Thatcher’s arrival in their conception. Big Bang was the result of a long running legal battle by the Office of Fair Trading to end restrictive practices in the City and open it up to competition which began before she was elected Prime Minister. Nor did Big Bang technically deregulate securities trading. In fact it replaced semi-corrupt forms of self regulation with the statutory regulation beloved of today’s Left. That this should have been so profoundly mis-managed under New Labour can hardly be laid at her door. Indeed, the reckless balance sheet expansion that led to the banking crisis virtually all took place under the later Labour government.

I'll let Jeremy Warner answer that one: Ten myths about Margaret Thatcher exploded

4. She sowed the seeds for today’s banking crisis. Rubbish. If by this is meant freer credit conditions and the Big Bang stock market reforms, both actually pre-date Thatcher’s arrival in their conception. Big Bang was the result of a long running legal battle by the Office of Fair Trading to end restrictive practices in the City and open it up to competition which began before she was elected Prime Minister. Nor did Big Bang technically deregulate securities trading. In fact it replaced semi-corrupt forms of self regulation with the statutory regulation beloved of today’s Left. That this should have been so profoundly mis-managed under New Labour can hardly be laid at her door. Indeed, the reckless balance sheet expansion that led to the banking crisis virtually all took place under the later Labour government.

Yes, but can't we blame Thatcher anyway?

Gordon Brown is going to become for the Right what Thatcher already is for the Left.

You can already see it starting. Brown is to blame for the deficit, Brown is to blame for the millions of people dependent on tax credits and housing benefit, Brown is to blame for the oversized public sector. Never mind that the Conservatives fought the 2001 and 2005 elections with manifestos that were at least as generous with the taxpayer cash as Labour's was, and that since 2010 the Coalition has continued to increase public spending and has continued to sign PFI contracts with gay abandon.

I predict that every fiscal problem from now until at least 2030 will be Gordon Brown's fault. The fact that subsequent governments just kept piling on the debt instead of trying to turn things around will be forgotten by most people.

Gordon Brown is going to become for the Right what Thatcher already is for the Left.

You can already see it starting. Brown is to blame for the deficit, Brown is to blame for the millions of people dependent on tax credits and housing benefit, Brown is to blame for the oversized public sector. Never mind that the Conservatives fought the 2001 and 2005 elections with manifestos that were at least as generous with the taxpayer cash as Labour's was, and that since 2010 the Coalition has continued to increase public spending and has continued to sign PFI contracts with gay abandon.

I predict that every fiscal problem from now until at least 2030 will be Gordon Brown's fault. The fact that subsequent governments just kept piling on the debt instead of trying to turn things around will be forgotten by most people.

the longest PFI Gordon signed up to ends in 2058 so he won't be forgotten ......

Brown was the worst Chancellor ever. (Hitler comes a close second).

She did considerable to improve the world.

By hastening the end of the Cold War she also indirectly helped ring the curtains on apartheid S Africa and on several (anti-communist) dictatorships in S America.

I've read that the collapse in the price of oil was responsible for that one. Who knows?

the longest PFI Gordon signed up to ends in 2058 so he won't be forgotten ......

Random but this was part of a recent article in my trade union mag

http://t.co/Lhb76xf8XF

Article titled "PFI: time to give back some of the profits"

Can't say I recall them questioning PFI when money was being sprayed everywhere.

Think this is the original data

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/05/pfi-contracts-list

That's why she's so divisive - some see her as a hero for dealing with that lot and others see her as a villain for all the collateral. Lots of people only seem to look at one of those and ignore the rest, e.g. the lefties who seem blind to the fact that something needed doing, or people who seem to think that later politicians not actually changing much somehow absolves her of what she set in motion.

Summat Thatch never grasped as she sent THE ?MET in

- to subvert, kill, maim and brutalise the miners in particular (whilst subjecting them to the most appalling venomous propaganda to form public opinion)

was that their relatives were fighting battles and won a war for her!

The Irony blue-rinser.

Having found out her old man was a perve, power abuser and serial female molester - I wunder if she got the same as a kid which formed her rigid personality.

And yet she was stabbed in the back by her own Party.

Now the tax payer we have to pay for a farce to boost the low public opinion for the Tory Party. Not the first time I've know them trade on other peoples reputation. Poor value for money this corpse.

The miners were screwing us then in exactly the same way as the bankers are doing now: by getting the government to take money from us at gunpoint, and hand it over to them.

Really.

I mean are you serious...?

Miners get the governement to take money off you...?

The governement took the money from your family at gunpoint long before there were coal-miners pal, and they'll continue to do so long after you and me have gone.

But let's follow your warped logic - now that we have no miners, who's getting the government to take the money off you now then mate...?

XYY

EDITED for too much beer-ness