House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Spring Bounce...in Sales Volumes

Last few days I've seen a flood of properties coming onto the market in the areas I look at. It's been pretty dire r.e. volumes lately, it's like the agents have been holding back till the prime selling season.

Anyone else seeing the same ?

The asking prices ( at the middle to top end ) are 2007++ prices and there is no end of over-priced s**te.

I've no idea who in Northants would be able to, or want to, pay the crazing asking prices. It's like June 2007 all over again!!!

Last few days I've seen a flood of properties coming onto the market in the areas I look at. It's been pretty dire r.e. volumes lately, it's like the agents have been holding back till the prime selling season.

The asking prices ( at the middle to top end ) are 2007++ prices and there is no end of over-priced s**te.

I've no idea who in Northants would be able to, or want to, pay the crazing asking prices. It's like June 2007 all over again!!!

Same here (Derby area), but good priced ones are going SSTC in days.

That'll be because the banks are happy to lend to people with deposits using the taxpayers backed money.

I can see why people would buy into it.

The whole thing is shameful and I doubt history will look kindly on the economic geniuses of the last 30 years,

Everything will sell at a price......all depends on egerness of selling.

.....If you drop your price, to sell......you can drop the price you are prepared to buy for.....win, win...both sold, less debt. ;)

Yes.Unfortunately, same here in South East London.Loads of dirty,greasy,derelict shoebox sized slums/barns they call "flats","appartments", etc. ask higher prices than 7 months ago.Definetly higher than in 2007.

Not to mention that even Council properties in rundown buildings are reffered to by estate agents as:"modern buildings","commuters rejoice","little gems","ideal investment/first buy",...Talking about estate agents/vendors (endlessly supported by banking elite/Government) taking a p**s.Totally crazy over here.:angry:

We all know what happened in 2007.

Maybe crazy asking prices will finally expose the madness of it all.

I'm looking at some parts of london and the asking prices are up 20% on last year.

Sale volumes are 0 mind you :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That'll be because the banks are happy to lend to people with deposits using the taxpayers backed money.

The whole thing is shameful and I doubt history will look kindly on the economic geniuses of the last 30 years,

One feature of our times is that absolutely no one is remotely concerned as to how history will look upon their lives, actions or decisions. Any sense of shame, reputation or honour has disappeared from public life.

One feature of our times is that absolutely no one is remotely concerned as to how history will look upon their lives, actions or decisions. Any sense of shame, reputation or honour has disappeared from public life.

+1

Can we trace back to when this change in attitude started and the countries economic reliance on middle men and chancers ?

( EDIT: P.S. I think we all know the answer to that ).

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Honestly, I'm seeing the exact opposite as far as houses coming onto the market where I've been looking lately (Berkshire/Oxfordshire, and Kent, in the £400k-£800k range). The asking prices are certainly as high as ever, but the stuff that's coming up as new to the market is mainly just re-listings of houses that have been around for a while. Given that it will be so much easier to sell a house next year when Help to Sell starts in January, I'm not sure why anyone would bother trying to sell now unless they absolutely had to.

Honestly, I'm seeing the exact opposite as far as houses coming onto the market where I've been looking lately (Berkshire/Oxfordshire, and Kent, in the £400k-£800k range). The asking prices are certainly as high as ever, but the stuff that's coming up as new to the market is mainly just re-listings of houses that have been around for a while. Given that it will be so much easier to sell a house next year when Help to Sell starts in January, I'm not sure why anyone would bother trying to sell now unless they absolutely had to.

In your dreams. ;)

Seen this in Rightmove for NN3/4 when I had a look recently.

However, the majority of stuff on there which is SSTC is £100-140k in the 'lesser locations' & ex-council - not much moving in the higher price brackets.

I would say I see the same, and my guess it is the same over much of the SE outside London.

Prices are similar to peak in 2007 for good 3-4 bed family homes but little is shifting. Volumes are 50% of what they were pre-2007 and are stubbornly refusing to move any higher.

A lot goes on the market, then comes off again, only to come on again 6 months down the line. My guess is these are reluctant landlords having another shot at trying to sell.

The big exception is flats, which continue to sell 10-20% off 2007 peak prices. I saw a massive spike in 1 bed flats in my area a year or so ago but this seems to have disappeared.

Are they?...then why new lower rates all over the place?:o

Because no one has deposits?

affordability any better than last year?...no

asking prices inflated?...of course.

My EA is selling very little to completion....people are very keen to say yes though..and the sold boards are up in minutes..

Seeing reductions oop North of £5-10k on fantasy prices. This one down to £168k from £199,995 :lol::blink:

http://www.rightmove...y-23635587.html

This is more my size and price range

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35589877.html

Dropped £5k since last December but its tiny and still overpriced IMO.

Edited by Secure Tenant

This has been (for new build) and will be fixed for all property purchases with a free up to £50k loan from the taxpayer. So with mortgage rates at a low affordability is not the issue ... ideally we will move to an average property price of 500k but with a mortgage rate of 1% and payments of around 5k (interest) with inflation of 7 or 8% to 'inflate the debt away'. Fantasy but we are moving that way with HelpToBuy, FLS, QE and ZIRP. So only a 5% deposit now needed and Carnage coming to create massive HPI it is now, and will be MASSIVELY cheaper to buy than rent. What could possibly go wrong?

What happens if you can't make the mortgage repayments.......add it on to the loan at compounded interest....borrow the money and live for free. ;)

The problem is that SMI is not paid back ... sure provide SMI but with an above inflation charge on the property .... the 'home owner' may then decide that they can down size after all rather than expect the taxpayer to pay their mortgage and protect their investment.

Very fair to me....you can't claim benefits if you have cash or savings over a certain amount , why should people claim free SMI when they have equity in their property savings, that is again discriminating against the savers. ;)

What costs more SMI or providing social housing? ;)

SMI costs way more.

First, it keeps asset prices up, which adds a premium to ALL purchases.

Second, it ensures that chains are more likely to break as supply is reduced.

Very fair to me....you can't claim benefits if you have cash or savings over a certain amount , why should people claim free SMI when they have equity in their property savings, that is again discriminating against the savers. ;)

I'm probably going to buy next year for that reason. Let the taxpayer shoulder the risk.

That influx of government money into property is well timed for the next election isn't it?

Given that sales of houses have a knock on effect into the wider economy, its a handy little bit of pre-election boosting.