House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
White Craw

Hundreds Of Morrisons Jobs At Risk

Wow they still count cash by hand?

I'm amazed this process isn't automated already.

Next, they'll get all uppity and start using Casio calculators instead of the abacus.

And if Morrisons do this, the others will need to as well.

Wow they still count cash by hand?

I'm amazed this process isn't automated already.

Yes to both

Don't the self service checkouts used by many supermarkets already use cash counting technology

Yes to both

Don't the self service checkouts used by many supermarkets already use cash counting technology

Yes, but once it comes out of the machine I doubt it is bundled so probably has to be counted again.

Old system - Upto 5 years ago

DOS standalone system, manual cash counting and entry. Once entered the weeks entry would be printed and posted to head office where someone would then enter this into an excel spreadsheet.

Newish system - Started implementation 5 years ago

Windows networked system with cash counters linked in. Stick your cash in and it would count it and update your weekly takings and then at the end of the week upload them to head office.

This weeks announcement I'll have to go ask some questions about, but I'm assuming it's going to be an industrial version of the change machines you see in the entrance to the supermarkets.

Morrisons are making lots of people redundant, not just in the stores, but all across the head office and back office functions. Everything they can outsource they are outsourcing... A FTSE100 company with its security function outsourced to Chennai.

Morrisons are making lots of people redundant, not just in the stores, but all across the head office and back office functions. Everything they can outsource they are outsourcing... A FTSE100 company with its security function outsourced to Chennai.

So we can expect that one blowing up soon when someone has hacked in and stolen money?

Outsourcing the solution to all our problems, can't wait for them to outsource store staff, perhaps they could get G4S in?

....but it is not just Morrisons jobs that can be automated, it is lots of jobs......from teachers to lawyers to solicitors to bankers......no job is 100% safe both in its existence or the price it demands. ;)

Amazing the money was counted manually.

Driving past Gateshead council this morning I was wondering how many efficiency/automation opportunities exist. Must be loads.

Why does a company with 499 stores have 689 cash office managers?

even allowing for silly job titles, it means a lot of people are involved in just counting the money.

edit: ah, supevisors as well. Which I suppose on reflection is sensible, you might not want 1 person in charge of cash. So in future instead of the manager, the supervisor, and the counter there will be the manager, the supervisor, and the counting machine.

Edited by opt_out

Why does a company with 499 stores have 689 cash office managers?

even allowing for silly job titles, it means a lot of people are involved in just counting the money.

edit: ah, supevisors as well. Which I suppose on reflection is sensible, you might not want 1 person in charge of cash. So in future instead of the manager, the supervisor, and the counter there will be the manager, the supervisor, and the counting machine.

No. They'll have to employ some extra managers to manage the cash machine network and contract. That's how it works with this sort if thing, you sack the worker and employ more managers.

Making people redundant is good business- as long as the people who employ their customers don't do the same thing.

Edited by wonderpup

A third of Morrisons' customers are "one pay cheque away" from not being able to pay their mortgages, according to chief executive Dalton Philips. The chief executive said that although he has seen lots of data suggesting signs of recovery, he is not seeing any change in customer behaviour.

"For all the green shoots out there, consumers are still under pressure," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/23288720

It's been like that for decades as I understand it. Few people save, don't expect their job income circumstances to change, love to spend, and immediately up against it if a pay-cheque down. I've heard a few tales from divorce solicitors that for all the nice house, and cars, very little in savings.

It's been like that for decades as I understand it. Few people save, don't expect their job income circumstances to change, love to spend, and immediately up against it if a pay-cheque down. I've heard a few tales from divorce solicitors that for all the nice house, and cars, very little in savings.

I've heard that the population is roughly evenly divided on this. Around a half of people spend everything they get as soon as they can, the other half save etc (and no, it's not a gender divide!)

I guess both approaches must have been evolutionary useful. Perhaps, consuming everything means you have more sprogs, but saving means more of them survive.

Let's face it, if you need to sign on you are penalised if you have savings, regardless of how much you have put into the state's coffers over the years.

Let's face it, if you need to sign on you are penalised if you have savings, regardless of how much you have put into the state's coffers over the years.

Lets face it, the system isn't designed to encourage savings.....who needs savings when they can print...who needs savings when they devalue over time....who needs cash savings when it stops you from claiming, but equity savings in your property is protected and not taken into account.

People are priced out of the jobs market by their high housing costs.

This shows the insanity of continuing this ridiculous housing bubble.

Maybe the employers should not be moaning about people not spending when it is them who pay the wages that enable that spending. ;)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=191515&view=findpost&p=909355632

It turns out that,

[L]ife is not that short. Life is well and long enough for you to come to regret any activity or habit involving an exchange of long-term risk for short-term benefit. This is what many if not most Americans did during the refinancing and consumption boom of the last decade, and it was what our government did in egging on the boom. This is also the gospel of drunk drivers and cheating spouses

As before source is Michael Burry's address to the UCLA Commencement 2012, (transcript,

)

L]ife is not that short. Life is well and long enough for you to come to regret any activity or habit involving an exchange of long-term risk for short-term benefit. This is what many if not most Americans did during the refinancing and consumption boom of the last decade, and it was what our government did in egging on the boom. This is also the gospel of drunk drivers and cheating spouses

Emm..yes, but those who cause crisis (in the past and in the future) will probably do just fine and have their memory pathways altered when it comes to wring their autobiographies.

I really don't expect Tony, Gordon or Fred etc wake up at night crying many decades from now for what they did.

...worth watching,.........notice the two guys in all their paraphernalia, the one on the left who looks bored out of his mind, not listening to anything, what does he care he is safe and getting paid and the guy on the right who does listen, knowing exactly how it works, look out for the knowing smiles when certain strategic points are being said. ;)