House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

M&s Reports Fall In Clothing Sales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ms-reports-fall-in-clothing-sales-8568023.html

Marks & Spencer reported sharply contrasting fortunes today as buoyant trading in its food halls helped offset more dismal sales figures in clothing.

Announcing its strongest growth in two years, M&S said overall like-for-like sales excluding changes in store space were up 0.6% in the 13 weeks to March 30.

Like-for-like sales were down 3.8% in general merchandise but this was better than a number of City forecasts.

The clothe less recovery.

Hardly its the consequence of selling poor quality clothing. Once or twice bitten and you never return.

M&S used to sell 100% British made clothing.......then it decided to purchase it from cheaper places in other parts of the world but their standard was still high and the prices of value.....now because these places demand higher prices and the fall in the pound is accentuating that, the prices have risen and the quality has fallen.

...and of course there are good quality charity shops that people donate good quality clothing that has only been worn once and sometimes never at all....still has the M&S label attached to it......when people are flash with cash and credit they tended to purchase on impulse because they could afford to. ;)

Edited by winkie

I was in the large M&S in Brooklands last week and I must have been the youngest person in there by 20 years (I'm 28).

I assume you're not counting all the young shop staff who are not paid enough to cover basic living costs.

M&S have gone past the point of no return when it comes to their clothes. They went all cheap and primarky but with the expensive price tag and as others have alluded to a crashing GBP hasn't helped much either, they put most of their UK suppliers out of business and are now really in a corner when it comes to sourcing goods. In other news I went into a primark a few months ago and could see they still sold nasty clothes (like m&s now do) but with eyewateringly similar prices to m&s must be an industrious across the board thingy.

They should focus on the food as they never dropped the ball here and this is where I am soon going to take my custom there and Aldi :P

Edited by longtomsilver