House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Longtermrenter

People Letting Their House Out Instead Of Selling/couples With Property Each/private Landlords Vs. La's

Hi all,

guess this could go in regional but it's anecdotal evidence from me. Also, I enjoy the anecdotal threads and there haven't been too many lately so thought I would try and plump the board up a bit.

We have been looking for a new place to rent for a while now - we are in no rush which is a luxury for us as we are usually a bit more stressed and having to move to a deadline.

After viewing several properties through letting agents it is clear that:

a) the letting agent staff have very little idea of anything - legislation, council tax bands, simple details about the property, their own fees and rules sometimes;

B) any attempt to pay up front a 6 month or 12 month lump sum is disregarded and I believe never passed on to landlord - why should I have a credit check when I am providing the credit?;

c) agents are putting up their fees and trying to increase rents;

d) any attempt to negotiate anything is met with a 'theres plenty of other people out there who want this' response.

So, we have also been probing the private rental market via newsagent notice boards/placing wanted ads, gumtree, fridayad, friends etc. We have viewed about 5 or 6 private houses in a month and although we haven't found exactly what we want yet (waiting on one really good one) it is evident that plenty of landlords don't want anything to do with lettng agents. We are discovering that down here the un-managed fee is up to 10% + vat and a managed let is up to 20% + vat. That must put plenty off.

With the LA fees to the tenant (approaching £400 quid in many cases), and of course the landlord fee which is passed straight on to the tenant the extra amount creamed off per month on the average 3 bed let as a managed property is about £100 - 120 a month.

One LA told me I should take the property because there was nothing else out there so I toild them about all the private lets I had been viewing.

Other strange things - one landlord came to the viewing with the agent. I asked him for his bottom line (agent just stood there really so why bother with them?) and he said 800 but LA said 850 because of new carpets. So thats £600 a year for renting the cheap carpet alone! This was a house we saw at auction but just outside our price range - a bit galling especially as the bloke ten years younger than me professed to have 7 houses and when I asked what he did he said - 'do up houses and rent them out'!

Another one we viewed the landlord was there renovating the house - it was his fathers so obviously letting instead of selling. Far too much money, LA not managing it and the landlord spoke to us while we were thereso why bother with the letting agent? Its been on Rightmove for 3 months.

Also finding that many of the couples we meet are both divorcees with a house each who are deciding to let one of the houses out instead of selling one. Also finding that other people are letting the house out because they are buying another house to live in and obviously think they will get a better deal renting it out than selling.

So, to wrap up - the market down here seems to be flooded with houses to let and I wonder whether at some point the rents are going to come down and or people are going to have to sell cheaper. Theres definitely a feeling of change in the air. The private landlords tend to treat you like equals and are a lot nicer. A couple have been a bit snooty but from now on anyone who treats us like 2nd class citizens isnt getting our money.

We have decided not to use agents any more - they rarely add anything other than another level of confusion and uncertainty in the whole process. We feela weight off of our shoulders now we have made that decision. We are close to being able to afford to buy but planning to not go above the 125K level. Keep seeing houses that sold for £30k in kent in late nineties that are now coming down from 150-180 mark to 125 - 150. I think a fair price is still to be found below that mark.

Sorry a bit rambly. Goodnight fellow HPCers.

We have decided not to use agents any more - they rarely add anything other than another level of confusion and uncertainty in the whole process. We feela weight off of our shoulders now we have made that decision. We are close to being able to afford to buy but planning to not go above the 125K level. Keep seeing houses that sold for £30k in kent in late nineties that are now coming down from 150-180 mark to 125 - 150. I think a fair price is still to be found below that mark.

Curent rental is ok - but not great - very cold in winter.

Letting agents are awful - if I wanted to rent a place OUT I'd avoid them if I could, and as a renter they don't help me - perhaps I'll put a card in newsagent and see if anything better is offered.

Thanks for the idea.

Gumtree seems rubbish - any other ideas?

I've been renting a large house for many years. Initially it was from a LA but once I'd moved in they were out of the equation and I deal directly with the LL. If I rented again I would definitely avoid a LA - I'd rather deal with the Mafia. Just think OP, if you rent through a LA they will be round your throat all the time trying to extract their outrageous fees from you for everything they can think of. I don't believe many of them act in the best interests of the LL and it beats me why any LL would want to pay them for an unmanaged service.

the bloke ten years younger than me professed to have 7 houses and when I asked what he did he said - 'do up houses and rent them out'!

failed to mention the major inheritance he blew on it tho, possibly

Hi i wondered if renting a large all double 5 bed house with 3 reception rooms a large kitchen and 3 bathrooms cloacks, and ensites / very large long wide hallway /2 parking spaces a garage and not huge gardens, would be welcome?

could be 6 bed easily if you re giggle the ex large bathroom with twin sinks

You see we went to auction but it was dealt with very badly the wrong viewing days given and our house is a marmite house love it or dislike being in the centre in a very small town / village

It would be perfect for commercial use as it has been a guest house and offices in the past.

But is it just us or are the more expensive properties not selling as well as cheaper smaller houses?

Dont get me wrong it isnt a stately home but its far to big for us now

one very large bedroom was always there from 184o0s not extended loft room with a regular window and the same stair case as the rest of the house

will this be an issue if we rent

Or can anyone tell me how to get to buyers / renters who want a large Georgian listed town house in Devon?

it didnt reach the reserve but many didnt in the sale

we were cold called my auction company we use previosly saying we promise it will selll! i know im a fool

advice needed as we want to get on with our lives after a very sad few years

Kind regards

Annie

inside the house its very antique furniture with some rooms more quirky but all are not to much i hope as in no awful bright colours and it looked beautiful

Please advise on if i can rent the top bedroom which was let as a flat let in the past (pre us)

really would love advice here as the people who were auctioning our house just didnt get it they were so into original fittings i feel they forget the 400 metres square size with a cellar

its an ideal home with income or an HMO or turn it into 2 properties

where anyone advertise it?

It has residential use at present but we bought it when it was commercial use

who would be best to sell it or where should i rent it.?

My husband will not let me arrange it as an HMO as we had one before and we were to green and had

Though we rented a house for 4 years and all went well

Thanks so much

I don't understand the previous post. I've had a drink but it's incomprehensible right?

Nope

It's a paragon of property bull logic of the most incisive kind

Too bad you can't appreciate that :-)