House Price Crash Forum
Armitage Shanks

Architecture Of Density

With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend.

It's not so bad. I have certainly felt less stressed living in that sort of build up Asian city than in terraced housing converted into flats in London - less noise, and the people are more sane.

Plus, Hong Kong went that route to preserve the green lungs of the city - massive public parks full of woodland right next to the city. You can walk out of one of those blocks and in 15 minute you are in thick jungle. Walking is massively popular here.

Hong Kong has been densely packed like that since the year dot, well worth visiting to take it all in. Where are the Nimbys? I think they are all here!

The question arises, if we don't like other people, do we get the global population down ? Nwo style?

I'd like to say "enjoy" but it's horrific so click here and feel a liitle bit inside of you die.

Don't intrinsically see a problem - so long as the interiors are nice (I'm always astonished by how spacious old tower blocks are as against new builds) and you've got easy access to parks & green spaces, I would far prefer that to densely built-up suburbia of row upon row upon endless row of semi-detached identikit hell.

Building vertically allows you to pack in enough people for infrastructure of all kinds - it leaves room for green space and it makes viable all sorts of entertainment and social pursuits. If more UK cities did that, rather than the obsession with never going above two floors and concreting over every field they can find, it'd be far more pleasant.

Hong Kong has been densely packed like that since the year dot, well worth visiting to take it all in. Where are the Nimbys? I think they are all here!

The question arises, if we don't like other people, do we get the global population down ? Nwo style?

....I am sure the ones in the middle no longer having a view and little light had something to say when the new building grew in front of them before their very eyes.....or did it just happen? ;)

Andalucia will fine banks up to 9k euros for every empty property on their books

Given that there are millions of empty properties on the books of the banks in Spain - and 100s of thousands in Andalucia, this could change the whole economics of Europe.

The banks will be forced to put them on the market at a price to sell, or rent them out at a price to rent i.e. very low prices

This should drive down the rental and sales market across Spain and at the same time devalue the accounts of Spanish banks

All money raised in fines will go towards providing social housing in Andalucia

I've not heard such brave or positive news for a long time. The question is, how will Rajoy prevent this happening?

....a high value supply problem. :o

Look at the pictures under "100x100" (referring to the size of rooms in inches, I guess)

Ah :) Hadn't got that far.

The *buildings* I don't intrinsically see a problem. But as that was caveated on interiors being like parker morris minimum, those poor souls look like they're living in hell.

(All else being equal, I'd prefer more vertical use. All else is not, in this case, equal)

Hi density living works with certain cultures. In China the high rise estates are surrounded by pedestrianised landscaped areas. Early evening is lovely - the residents chill out, play music and fill the local restaurants. It's a lifestyle I have really taken to :-)

Nowt wrong with high density (or high rise) per se; it's the urban architecture and implementation that's the difference between heaven and urban hell.

It's also the most environmentally responsible way for big modern day populations to live.

Funny how the environment always gets cast up. I think that's a load of expedient rubbish. High density housing suits those in charge and they seem to have convinced lots of us plebs that 'hey, it's the environmentally sustainable way to live, guys!' - while the politicos and businessmen retire to their country retreats.

I wouldn't give a toss about the environment if I was faced with living like that. IMO only a mug would. I deserve better.

Local Agenda 21

'High rise living for sustainable communities'

Signed by Tony Blair for us in 1997.

Remember seeing all those tiny flats go up that no one wanted to live in?

"There are fields, Neo, endless fields where human beings are no longer born. We are grown.