House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Maxi Isa

I thought I'd post here first as the Investments forum seems to be very quiet! Mods - feel free to move / merge once I get a bit of feedback (much appreciated!) :)

I have been dripping £500 per month into a Cofunds Maxi ISA for the past 14 months, but this is controlled by my IFA as Cofunds only work with IFAs. The time has come for me to take the bull by the horns and do some investing myself. I'm unhappy with Cofunds in that it is totally inflexible in having to go via my IFA, and what with the new fees he charges I don't particularly want to pay him every time I want to review my investments.

I'm thinking I want to open a Maxi ISA with someone else and choose my own investments. I've had a look at several different potential providers:

- Hargreaves Lansdown's Stocks and Shares ISA

- Halifax Select ISA

- Standard Life Stocks and Shares ISA

- Barclays Self Select ISA

I have several FTSE 250 / FTSE 100 companies which I may buy some shares in so that is something I need to be able to do using this. I also want full control to go on line and play with my investments as easy as possible.

If you could let me know who you use or point me in the right direction for some advice I would be most grateful. Any experiences of the above providers / tips gratefully appreciated.

All i can add really is that i use H&L and i'm pretty happen - fees could be lower, but at least they're reliable.

All i can add really is that i use H&L and i'm pretty happen - fees could be lower, but at least they're reliable.

I use iweb (which is a division of Halifax share dealing.

Their ISA allows trading of most UK and major European/US stocks as well as managed funds, all for a flat-fee trade. Your account is Sterling based, so accounting is easy, but you are forced to pay forex fees twice if you wish to swap one foreign investment for another.