House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Internet's Most Brilliant Website

A typical KnobFeel review consists of a few sentences of text and a short video. The text is full of obscure jargon ("Lovely notched feel to the knob's rotation, and only very minor axial skew"), which raises as many questions as it answers. Is KnobFeel a straightforward example of geeky obsession? A mocking commentary on the pretentiousness of audio gear reviews? A sort of meta-commentary on the very nature of cultural criticism, with the site's name adding a dash of sophomoric innuendo?

The hunch here is all of the above, especially given the ingeniously minimalist videos that accompany each review. KnobFeel videos are about 15 seconds long and adhere to a simple but rigid format: A piece of audio equipment is shown in isolation, and then a hand appears and turns the knob. As the knob is being manipulated, a voice—presumably belonging to the same person as the hand—provides a non-verbal assessment. If the review is positive, the voice coos and trills with enjoyment ("Oooh, mmmm, ahhh!"); if it's negative, the voice grunts its disapproval ("Awww, hrrrrmph, urrrghhh"). After nearly two dozen reviews, the site's anonymous critic has yet to use the same vocal intonations twice, which just goes to show that even a non-verbal critic can have a wide vocabulary. At least one stereo equipment manufacturer has taken all of this seriously enough to proudly tout its positive KnobFeel review on its own web site.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112848/knobfeel-niche-website-thats-also-brilliant#

The knobfeel site makes my PC all droopy.

Oh dear, time to fess up, I'm the same with light and power switches.

If it feels like it is falling apart, stiff or loose, it probably is and won't last that long.

Wonder how many millions have been spent on door clunks?

PS if you are wondering Crabtree with the curved finger plate. :lol:

PPS, old style not the new crap they produce - another sign of inflation when the decent kit is no longer made and is replaced with rubbish.

Oh dear, time to fess up, I'm the same with light and power switches.

If it feels like it is falling apart, stiff or loose, it probably is and won't last that long.

Wonder how many millions have been spent on door clunks?

PS if you are wondering Crabtree with the curved finger plate. :lol:

PPS, old style not the new crap they produce - another sign of inflation when the decent kit is no longer made and is replaced with rubbish.

Aye, I'm the same with pork pies.

Pastry needs to be light and golden Northern/Yorkshire style, not that dry brown Melton Mowbray shite, and should not be burned at the edges of the lid.

Meat should be a mid to dark pink colour with the right amount of finely-minced white fleks of fat dotted around. Pale grey or brownish meat should be avoided. Should contain a canny amount of pepper.

And if bitten into warm, copious amounts of hot, greasy jelly should run down the face, chin and upper-torso resulting in stains on your shirt that you'll never get out.

PS if you're also wondering, it's Morrell's of Hartlepool and their award winning pork pies.

XYY

This could have been written about Antony Michaelson the founder of Musical Fidelity.

A hifi dealer once told me he was completely nuts about the exact feel of the knobs and would send whole shipments back to the factory to be re-done causing delays and shortages.

On any appliance, to me anyway, there is a direct correlation between the "quality feel" of the knob and my perception of the quality of components used.