House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

London's Housing Crisis

http://www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNew...ID=1&newsID=908

"According to the report, London now has more than 60,000 homeless households; 280,000 households on council waiting lists for affordable housing; and 260,000 children living in overcrowded homes."

F'ing hell, St Martin in the Fields park benches must be several hundred deep in dossers every night!

And just think of all the rent the owners of London's privately owned 83,211 EMPTY homes are missing out on!

Empty Homes Statistics

Edited by Sledgehead

They should all get together and march on Downing Street waving cardboard and chanting 'do you like my new house?'

The British should stop putting up with this cr@p and start protesting on the streets like some other countries do - we are far too reserved for our own good.

Think of how much this costs the taxpayer.

One inner London borough is required to pay out over £160m per year in housing benefit to subsidise people to live in one of the most expensive parts of London. This is equivalent to their entire schools and social services budget! Only around 20% of this goes to council tenants so most ends up in the private rental market.

And you lot say there's no housing shortage...... <_<

There's other reasons why there are plenty of homeless. Such as Landlords who will not rent to people on benefits. I recieved no reply when I asked you before as a landlord if you rented to DHSS. If not why not ?

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I've been spending the last week playing what I call "the believing game." This involves playing the devils advocate with myself. Assuming that HPI did stay level, would I be able to make money through BTL?

I've built some spreadsheet models, and punched a number of scenarios into them. Using prices and rents from rightmove.

One idea I had was to buy a BTL, then live in it as a second home (so I don't have to commute into London), renting out two other rooms to lodgers (as I don't like living alone).

In any case, I tried to base my analysis on renting the whole place out to see if it stacks up.

Basically, as I thought, it just doesn't. The only possible reason for doing this is to take advantage of capital growth. I can't find a single sensible prospect which will deliver a net yield of more than 1%, and that is at current IR's.

Not in a million years could you make enough money by letting a place, bought at current prices, to low income or benefit tenants. To just break even you would need a good market rent.

I assume that only landlords who bought properties 5 or more years ago could afford to let them out to poor people.

It is high prices keeping these people homeless, nothing more or less.

Edited by 2MeterBear

Homelessness in the South West has increased by 50% in the last 4 years. The region has the third highest proportion of homeless people and the second largest number of rough sleepers in the country, with a concentration in urban areas. The number of homeless people in temporary housing has risen by 70% in the last 4 years.

http://www.homelesspages.org.uk/Areas/..%5...sp?ccode=01BBUU

Guest Charlie The Tramp

83,211 surplus in London. It's just that the idiots are asking unafforable amounts for them.

And some idiots are paying affordable amounts to live next door to Abu Hamza.

From The Mail

The Secretary of State in charge of benefits has moved next door to the state supported family home of radical cleric Abu Hamza.

John Hutton, the Work and Pensions Secretary paid £730,000 for the end of terrace house in a smart London suburb.

Hamza`s wife and eight children live next door in an almost identical council owned property worth around £550,000, supported by Mr Hutton`s own department.

They receive around £1,000 a week in benefits.

Mr Hutton has yet to encounter hook-handed Hamza over the garden fence, however.

Well the reason IMO is if the cheque does not arrive on time she can always pop next door. ;)

And some idiots are paying affordable amounts to live next door to Abu Hamza.

From The Mail

Well the reason IMO is if the cheque does not arrive on time she can always pop next door. ;)

"The Secretary of State in charge of benefits has moved next door to the state supported family home of radical cleric Abu Hamza.

John Hutton, the Work and Pensions Secretary paid £730,000 for the end of terrace house in a smart London suburb.

Hamza`s wife and eight children live next door in an almost identical council owned property worth around £550,000, supported by Mr Hutton`s own department.

They receive around £1,000 a week in benefits.

Mr Hutton has yet to encounter hook-handed Hamza over the garden fence, however."

What a classic ! John Hutton can do some overtime by puttting a glass to the wall and keep an eye ear on him

:rolleyes: