House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ccc

"there Are No Jobs"

Now i know work is not the be all and end all. And i know that with automation we could do less.

However people do need to do something to keep their minds and bodies from turning to mush.

Was up north last weekend. In what must be one of the most stunning locations on the planet.

And they are actively looking for staff for the summer. No experience necessary. Accommodation provided. General hotel/bar type work.

Any young healthy person who says there are no jobs - needs a slap in the chops with a wet fish imo.

Get on a bus - hitch hike to the place. Look smart, be keen - and tell the manager what you have done to get there. I am 99% a job would be offered.

Now it may not be the best job on the planet - but it certainly won't be the worst. And the experience could lead to other things.

And i am sure you would have a great laugh too.

So if you know any youngsters moaning about a lack of work - show them this and tell them to get off their ****.

viewfrominn.jpg

There are jobs, just not enough jobs for everyone to have one.

Would be interested to know whether accommodation is free or whether deductions are made from wages for it (presumably NMW).

Yes i know its a zero sum game. However there are still jobs there for those willing to put the effort in.

As for accommodation costs - who knows - who really cares.

Its an opportunity for any young bored British person out there.

There should be a queue. There won't be.

Too much effort for most to leave their comfort zone for 6 months.

Strangely enough all the staff i spoke to were from the UK.

Not the usual number of poles etc.

Looks like this place would prefer to employ 'locals' if possible.

Are you suggesting the unemployed should march deep into the remotest, effectively uninhabited countryside off the off-chance there may be a very much temporary, seasonal washing up job?

Are you saying their time and effort wouldn't be better spent searching for work nearer to home in the towns and cities that are commutable from their home? What would they do with their existing accommodation? Give it up for a temporary job and then find themselves homeless when the season ends?

Are there no unemployed people in the countryside who couldn't take this job?

ccc sees an ad for one job and suddenly had the solution to the employment difficulties of 9 million economically inactive people.

You are IDS and I claim my £5.

Edited by the gardener

There not enough jobs to allow people to save enough to escape from the system of high rents, taxes, and high house prices.

Are you suggesting the unemployed should march deep into the remotest, effectively uninhabited countryside off the off-chance there may be a very much temporary, seasonal washing up job?

Are you saying their time and effort wouldn't be better spent searching for work nearer to home in the towns and cities that are commutable from their home? What would they do with their existing accommodation? Give it up for a temporary job and then find themselves homeless when the season ends?

ccc sees an ad for one job and suddenly had the solution to the employment difficulties of 9 million economically inactive people.

Maybe he's right though. You need to take some little risks to get somewhere in life.. Helpful if you can locate online or remotely of course before 'marching into the wilderness'. Ring around likely places in advance..

Sure, perhaps not suitable if you are older or have family commitments, council house etc. But if you are 18-25 unemployed, living with parents or in a cheap house share then you're not walking away from much to go and work somewhere else for 6 months.

No different from going and working in a ski chalet or beach resort for summer. Good to at least get a 'start' in working life.

Sure you have to leave your drinking buddies and local networks & surroundings etc - step a bit out of your comfort zone. Could take the Xbox still if really need to..

100,000s of Poles (+ in the old days it was the Aussies and kiwi working holidays) do exactly this.

Actually see quite a few of these types of job ad when travelling in the more remote parts of the UK.

The tone of your post almost suggests that the existence of the advert has made the plight of the young unemployed worse not better. Not every job will be on the doorstep, and you don't get views like that in a town, surely a great opportunity for some?

A relation is pretty senior in the hospitality industry having started by clearing up deckchairs a decade ago.

Yes - i am suggesting that.

There are jobs like this all over the place. This was just of example to show what is out there. I am not an online job agency :rolleyes:

Maybe he's right though. You need to take some little risks to get somewhere in life.. Helpful if you can locate online or remotely of course before 'marching into the wilderness'. Ring around likely places in advance..

Sure, perhaps not suitable if you are older or have family commitments, council house etc. But if you are 18-25 unemployed, living with parents or in a cheap house share then you're not walking away from much to go and work somewhere else for 6 months.

No different from going and working in a ski chalet or beach resort for summer. Good to at least get a 'start' in working life.

Sure you have to leave your drinking buddies and local networks & surroundings etc - step a bit out of your comfort zone. Could take the Xbox still if really need to..

100,000s of Poles (+ in the old days it was the Aussies and kiwi working holidays) do exactly this.

Actually see quite a few of these types of job ad when travelling in the more remote parts of the UK.

Exactly.

Megabus. Bit of hitch hiking. Do the rounds of various places in the area. Talk to people.

One nights accommodation and travel and for most people a job would be there's.

People are impressed with effort - it immediately tells them you are the sort of person they want working for them .

It really is very simple.

And before anyone says yes i know there are major issues with our economy, benefits and immigration and all. But this is simply about effort.

Many in the UK simply don't have any. I have no sympathy for them.

These types of jobs seem to get hoovered up by the middleclass local kids during their breaks or gap years from Uni/College (as they used to be).

Once you were always greated by an EE accent visiting a country pub/restaraunt/hotel. Now it's again a novelty, well in my experience anyway. Of course areas will differ.

thanks ccc, I cant get a seat on a trainup North now....look for the thousands of homeless on your beautiful streets.

Exactly.

Megabus. Bit of hitch hiking. Do the rounds of various places in the area. Talk to people.

One nights accommodation and travel and for most people a job would be there's.

People are impressed with effort - it immediately tells them you are the sort of person they want working for them .

It really is very simple.

And before anyone says yes i know there are major issues with our economy, benefits and immigration and all. But this is simply about effort.

Many in the UK simply don't have any. I have no sympathy for them.

not sure £35 gets you up there, and a nights accomodation, cos it takes a day to get there in the first place....and then you need a job by next day.

Im sure there must be a website agent offering this type of job.....

Guest eight

Amazingly though I was in York last week and saw the same thing. Almost every place in the centre advertising for staff. Whether it would be enough work to survive on, who knows?

I suspect two things are at work. One, potential employers will be avoiding the job centre like mad in the wake of UC. And maybe the "hard working" Poles etc. are falling into the same benefits traps as the natives now they have been here a while and had kids etc.

The type of jobs we need are producing stuff the rest of the world wants, not putting kids to work for slave money to serve boomers on their holidays. We are Fooked.

not sure £35 gets you up there, and a nights accomodation, cos it takes a day to get there in the first place....and then you need a job by next day.

Yes there are temporary jobs websites. Can't think what they are exactly, but there are websites that advertise these kind of vacancies.

Also rather than taking the Megabus everywhere, I don't see why people couldn't be interviewed over Skype, well for the initial interview anyway.

Edited by Secure Tenant

Yes there are temporary jobs websites. Can't think what they are exactly, but there are websites that advertise these kind of vacancies.

Also rather than taking the Megabus everywhere, I don't see why people couldn't be interviewed over Skype, well for the initial interview anyway.

You miss the point.

You do it my way - you make yourself look respectable - you turn up speak to the manager and when they ask where you have come from - you explain - you pretty much have the job already.

No wonder so many people find it difficult to get work. They fail to understand what people are looking for.

At least it means for people lily myself who have a bit more 'get up and go' - we will always do better. :D

The type of jobs we need are producing stuff the rest of the world wants, not putting kids to work for slave money to serve boomers on their holidays. We are Fooked.

This thread is about people saying there are no jobs - when there are.

That's it. We all know there are many issues in this country - that is for other threads to discuss.

A lot of people in that part of the world will work several jobs (maybe a couple of shifts a week in each) in the hospitality and leisure industry. Oban and Frt William are pretty dead in the winter but they start getting busier around this time of year.

I worked in France for a summer season about 10 years ago and a lot of the other reps worked in the Alps over the winter before heading for the coast around April. It can be a lifestyle, but it wasn't for me.

This thread is about people saying there are no jobs - when there are.

That's it. We all know there are many issues in this country - that is for other threads to discuss.

Yes we know there are jobs. I just don't get the point of this thread. No one would find out about this job, unless they were to randomly visit like you. Its not practical or affordable for many unemployed to randomly visit everywhere and hope to be "In the right place at the right time" though in many ways you create your own "luck."

Local factories here in the North are full of foreign nationals and East Europeans. Should the local youth be looking for work in Poland, Estonia etc..?

A lot of people in that part of the world will work several jobs (maybe a couple of shifts a week in each) in the hospitality and leisure industry. Oban and Frt William are pretty dead in the winter but they start getting busier around this time of year.

I worked in France for a summer season about 10 years ago and a lot of the other reps worked in the Alps over the winter before heading for the coast around April. It can be a lifestyle, but it wasn't for me.

At least you tried it.

Yes we know there are jobs. I just don't get the point of this thread. No one would find out about this job, unless they were to randomly visit like you. Its not practical or affordable for many unemployed to randomly visit everywhere and hope to be "In the right place at the right time" though in many ways you create your own "luck."

Local factories here in the North are full of foreign nationals and East Europeans. Should the local youth be looking for work in Poland, Estonia etc..?

What is the point ?

Because I hear almost every day people saying 'there are no jobs'.

It is completely untrue.

And i gave this one as an example of jobs available in an amazing location - and the employer STILL appears to have difficulty getting people to do do them.

As i said - i am not an online job agency. I am just using this example to show how ridiculous people are when they say there are no jobs.

And these sort of job ads are everywhere across this country.

Should the local youth be looking for work in Poland ?

If they want. However it would probably be easier for them to just get a job here instead :rolleyes:

What is the point ?

Because I hear almost every day people saying 'there are no jobs'.

It is completely untrue.

And i gave this one as an example of jobs available in an amazing location - and the employer STILL appears to have difficulty getting people to do do them.

As i said - i am not an online job agency. I am just using this example to show how ridiculous people are when they say there are no jobs.

And these sort of job ads are everywhere across this country.

You are either trolling or a fool. When 1600 people apply for a job in a coffee shop there is a definite shortage of jobs. Just because you know of one, probably minimum wage job in the middle of no where, does not mean people are making it up.

Edited by doomed