House Price Crash Forum

Where Is Better Than The Uk?!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry had a typo on my post, I meant where in the uk are you now, since your work isn't location specific? Where did you choose

South East London where i was born and grew up, so obviously house prices here are pretty much as normal here

The main thing i enjoyed with Spain was being on the beach, we have some great beaches in the UK but not the weather to go with it

I love the idea of being in a European country as easy for trips home to see family and friends

But the question is, in which country a life of work will bring you the best rewards? And give your children the best chances?

IMHO it depends. For those who prefer to work and be self reliant, I think the answer is the USA. No welfare state though.

Although the USA has no 'welfare state' by name, it's a bit of a myth that there is no welfare at all. Apart from healthcare free at the point of delivery (which, of course, doesn't mean free at all) they have most things you'd need, including generous programs for those over 65, unemployment benefit, and poverty support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_programs_in_the_United_States#Types_of_social_programs

Well glad to see this generated some interest.

One thing I forgot to add to my list which some other people pointed out is the climate!!

I have already moved from London to Edinburgh which is a big improvement - just fantasising about making it even better! The climate and daylight hours up here leave something to be desired.

I think the best solution is Edinburgh with 4 months somewhere further South every winter. Now just have to persuade the wife that while she toils away I am going to be away getting some sun from November to the beginning of March. I just looked it up and the shortest day here is less than 7 hours between sunrise and sunset!! Thats no good!!

But it is interesting that really there is no great solution to this conundrum!!

And on another note I am glad that CCC recognises my major achievement in life so far which is starting a thread in the Scotland subforum that has been running for 5 years, has 3232 replies and 272,000 views. If only the rest of my life was as successful!!

But it is interesting that really there is no great solution to this conundrum!!

That is rather depressing, what an idiotic species we are. So keen are we to trip one another up and take from our neighbours that we force ourselves to live in far worse conditions than are possible with just a little selflessness and sense.

Mankind = greedy idiots.

And soon we'll all be dead, the great equaliser. Who won? No one.

What a bunch of muppets.

And on another note I am glad that CCC recognises my major achievement in life so far which is starting a thread in the Scotland subforum that has been running for 5 years, has 3232 replies and 272,000 views. If only the rest of my life was as successful!!

Pity no-one's posted on it for months! :P

All in I would tend to agree with that. I think there are always going to be transient differences between different developed countries but they tend to even out in the end. E.g. right now houses are stupidly expensive in the UK and there are relatively few jobs, but it would be a brave person that predicted that situation being the same in 10 years time. My advice on country moves is to do them for fun, adventure or because a good opportunity of some sort arises (work, love etc.) not because you don't like the place you live right now.

Those seem like wise words to me. But houses are just too high here. I don't fancy waiting 10 years on top of the last 10 I've waited for housing to correct.I might be able to get a job transfer to the USA if I tried. If you get on international dating sites then you could move for a relationship. But I just want to spend my money (before it ends up being stolen by the UK devaluation) on a house which is not at risk of falling over the next 10 years or more as in the UK.

Edited by Spoony

Those seem like wise words to me. But houses are just too high here. I don't fancy waiting 10 years on top of the last 10 I've waited for housing to correct.I might be able to get a job transfer to the USA if I tried. If you get on international dating sites then you could move for a relationship. But I just want to spend my money (before it ends up being stolen by the UK devaluation) on a house which is not at risk of falling over the next 10 years or more as in the UK.

Assuming you're talking intra-company transfer here? If so, go for it and try to make sure of two things: you're on an L1 managerial visa and that your company will apply for a green card for you more or less the moment you arrive. That way, you'll have your permanent residence in 18 months or so and won't have to worry about losing your job and being deported. Back to my point though, if the job is there and you think it would be a fun adventure to do it, then go for it. If, on the other hand, you think it would be horrible then doing it just so as to be able to buy a house is probably not a good idea.

Thanks for the tips. I would love a transfer yes. But I worry about the standards they expect in the US branches. My place in the UK is a very disorganised operation and as I see it a very poorly run imitation of our European branches that I have visited. I would worry that having been used to the bodgy nature of my job here, abroad they would be expecting more of me then I can give. Thats my only worry. Then I'm out on my ear!>.

Thanks for the tips. I would love a transfer yes. But I worry about the standards they expect in the US branches. My place in the UK is a very disorganised operation and as I see it a very poorly run imitation of our European branches that I have visited. I would worry that having been used to the bodgy nature of my job here, abroad they would be expecting more of me then I can give. Thats my only worry. Then I'm out on my ear!>.

Eh?

You're afraid you might have to do your job properly?

• 2 months later...

Eh?

You're afraid you might have to do your job properly?

Had better answer this, only just seen this reply.... I'm not afraid of doing my job well, I try to do it every day but am constantly unable to and demotivated + frustrated at the lack of equipment and support. There's lack of knowledge from clueless management who only understand one thing... profit and revenues at the expense of being able to work properly. There is no forward planning or investment in the future which would help things in the long term, just short term survival. There are shortcuts galore and corner cutting going on plus some dishonest practices happening towards customers. My company is an absolute joke. Couple this with my manager who has favourites and passes good people over for promotion and only bother about their favourites for overtime. I know he wants me out the door. I'm usually on the redundancy lists every time they happen but have been somehow spared. There is also an empire building culture coming up in top level management most of which would not know hard work if it hit them in the face. They spend the majority of their day surfing and chatting.

Due to all of this having been unable to do what I call a good job for over 10 years now with all the lack of motivation and soul destroying nature of being in this company I am very worried about not being able to do the same job for our parent companies who seem to be properly run and have no idea of the corruption in the UK branch.

Edited by Spoony

a) English speaking? (Only due to laziness!! So not totally important.)

B) State funded healthcare

c) Good job prospects

d) Reasonable House Prices

e) Reasonable cost of living

f) Niceish environment

Have you considered La la land? And don't forget, beer comes straight form your own tap!

Had better answer this, only just seen this reply.... I'm not afraid of doing my job well, I try to do it every day but am constantly unable to and demotivated + frustrated at the lack of equipment and support. There's lack of knowledge from clueless management who only understand one thing... profit and revenues at the expense of being able to work properly. There is no forward planning or investment in the future which would help things in the long term, just short term survival. There are shortcuts galore and corner cutting going on plus some dishonest practices happening towards customers. My company is an absolute joke. Couple this with my manager who has favourites and passes good people over for promotion and only bother about their favourites for overtime. I know he wants me out the door. I'm usually on the redundancy lists every time they happen but have been somehow spared. There is also an empire building culture coming up in top level management most of which would not know hard work if it hit them in the face. They spend the majority of their day surfing and chatting.

Due to all of this having been unable to do what I call a good job for over 10 years now with all the lack of motivation and soul destroying nature of being in this company I am very worried about not being able to do the same job for our parent companies who seem to be properly run and have no idea of the corruption in the UK branch.

If you have an opportunity to work somewhere you think is better and you're confident you could work well under those circs, you should do it, you're clearly unhappy where you are.

I have quite a bit of experience living in various places around the World and I'm afraid the OP is going to struggle to find anywhere English speaking that ticks boxes.

Aus/NZ - Visas are fairly straight forward but housing is more unaffordable than the UK!

Canada - Again visas are straight forward if you have the right skills, in fact I think it's the best option as has moderate house prices too.

USA - Difficult to get visa and healthcare an issue, shame as it has affordable houses.

Ireland, South Africa?

You could look at countries with high levels of English, e.g. Singapore, HK, Philippines, India?.....but with all these you'd need to be on a decent expat package and housing allowance.

Perhaps the Middle East would work too and you have the tax free carrot as well.

I have quite a bit of experience living in various places around the World and I'm afraid the OP is going to struggle to find anywhere English speaking that ticks boxes.

Aus/NZ - Visas are fairly straight forward but housing is more unaffordable than the UK!

Canada - Again visas are straight forward if you have the right skills, in fact I think it's the best option as has moderate house prices too.

USA - Difficult to get visa and healthcare an issue, shame as it has affordable houses.

Ireland, South Africa?

You could look at countries with high levels of English, e.g. Singapore, HK, Philippines, India?.....but with all these you'd need to be on a decent expat package and housing allowance.

Perhaps the Middle East would work too and you have the tax free carrot as well.

and while you're at it, I have a coffin to sell you

• 2 weeks later...

Scandinavia. Sweden being the top of the list, and a lot of Swedish people speak and write English better than Britons do.

What a fantastic country. If climate is not a priority then Sweden would be my choice.

Homes are spacious and the locals are gracious..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Switzerland.

Much as I miss certain aspects of England (proper pubs, beer and cheese, British sense of humour etc), I've lived and worked in Switzerland for a few years now and absolutely love the place.

It doesn't check all the boxes suggested e.g. property is expensive to buy, and there's no public health service, but I like the sheer beauty of the place, not to mention the biggest difference compared to the UK -- like other Germanic countries, people simply obey the rules here, so there isn't much crime. Maybe it's become more important as I've got older, but I like this sense of orderliness and safety.

I appreciate it wouldn't suit everyone, particularly 22 year olds who want to go out on the p1ss all the time and stay up all night playing rap music at high volume -- the neighbours would soon have you thrown out -- but it suits me.