House Price Crash Forum

Where Is Better Than The Uk?!

roblpm

HOLA441

OK more moaning on here and elsewhere about the state of the UK, especially in regard to the younger generation. ie debt for going to college, impossibly high house prices, high energy prices, youth unemployment etc etc etc

So I got to thinking if I was to advise my kids (now 9&11!) where to go where would I tell them??!

As I have relatives in the states they could move there............ cheaper houses, but too many guns and not sure with their pre existing medical conditions that they would ever get medical insurance.

So list of criteria is:

a) English speaking? (Only due to laziness!! So not totally important.)

B) State funded healthcare

c) Good job prospects

d) Reasonable House Prices

e) Reasonable cost of living

f) Niceish environment

We live in Edinburgh so I would say we do ok for a (well scottish!!), b and f but not sure about c, d and e

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

OK more moaning on here and elsewhere about the state of the UK, especially in regard to the younger generation. ie debt for going to college, impossibly high house prices, high energy prices, youth unemployment etc etc etc

So I got to thinking if I was to advise my kids (now 9&11!) where to go where would I tell them??!

As I have relatives in the states they could move there............ cheaper houses, but too many guns and not sure with their pre existing medical conditions that they would ever get medical insurance.

So list of criteria is:

c) Good job prospects

f) Niceish environment

We live in Edinburgh so I would say we do ok for a (well scottish!!), b and f but not sure about c, d and e

Scandinavia. Sweden being the top of the list, and a lot of Swedish people speak and write English better than Britons do.

HOLA443

So list of criteria is:

c) Good job prospects

f) Niceish environment

I love New Zealand and would still be living there if family ties hadn't brought me back to the UK.

Unfortunately, it loses out on c), d) and e) and is currently suffering from net emigration on account of so many younger Kiwis moving over to booming Australia.

At such a young age I'd be more focused on nurturing any portable, marketable skills my kids are showing any inclination and aptitude for. Languages for starters.

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA444

So list of criteria is:

c) Good job prospects

f) Niceish environment

You should wait 'til after the referendum before you decide :D

HOLA445

Scandinavia. Sweden being the top of the list, and a lot of Swedish people speak and write English better than Britons do.

This always comes up as a popular option. However, a lot of UK expats really don't get on in Scandinavia. I know a few who have tried it and the consensus seems to be it's a seriously acquired taste.

It's difficult, everywhere has its pros and cons and it really depends what you value. It sounds to me like you want somewhere like Scandinavia, but with a US cost of living and English speaking. Don't we all :)

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest TheBlueCat

not sure with their pre existing medical conditions that they would ever get medical insurance.

For the US that's not necessarily a show-stopper. Assuming they find work with a decent employer or that they have enough money to pay their own premiums for one of the Obamacare related plans, then they'll get coverage for pre-existing conditions. That being said, the US healthcare insurance system is a nightmare to deal with for expensive chronic conditions. US immigration is a whole different problem but they wouldn't be disqualified from getting a Green Card on health grounds unless they had something contagious. Where pre-existing medical conditions will potentially be a show-stopper is for countries that have free healthcare at the point of delivery. E.g Canada will not generally give permanent residence to anyone that will likely cost more than the average Canadian to the healthcare system (there's an exception for spousal sponsorship though).

HOLA448

This always comes up as a popular option. However, a lot of UK expats really don't get on in Scandinavia. I know a few who have tried it and the consensus seems to be it's a seriously acquired taste.

It's difficult, everywhere has its pros and cons and it really depends what you value. It sounds to me like you want somewhere like Scandinavia, but with a US cost of living and English speaking. Don't we all :)

Bah, I will probably end up in Croatia or Slovenia when I retire. Cheap as chips and I have a lot of friends there... unless they start warring again.

Swedes don't really want to integrate with Brits, especially as the moral compass between the two is mostly diametrically opposed.

Still, it is a good country to move to when considering the options.

NZ is nice, but sadly heading for a debt and employment crisis. Not much for high paying work there, or work in general.

AUS is full of bloody red necks and nothing much in between. Good oil and mining money, but equally expensive property and too hot.

Canada is ok, but winters are harsh and it is also huge and seriously lacking in any decent culture. Ok in cities if its your thing.

America is fine if you stay away from the bigger cities, unless that's your thing.

Europe? Well, depends on where. I don't think Brits seeking traditional employment in Europe will feel welcome. Even skilled is as such.

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA449

So list of criteria is:

c) Good job prospects

f) Niceish environment

If they are young then language differences should not be seen as an obstacle. In fact the opportunity to learn a different language is a bonus. Madrid ticks b ), d), e) and f) these days, and maybe in a few years it'll tick c) as well (in fact there's still plenty of work around for English teachers)

Edited by LiveAndLetBuy

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Bah, I will probably end up in Croatia or Slovenia when I retire. Cheap as chips and I have a lot of friends there... unless they start warring again.

Swedes don't really want to integrate with Brits, especially as the moral compass between the two is mostly diametrically opposed.

I go to Croatia and Slovenia often but they’ve not been cheap for well over a decade, a flat in Zagreb or Ljubljana is going to cost as much as one in Berlin or Frankfurt, a decent size house/villa by the see can easily cost ~€300,000, the cost of food is no cheaper than Austria/Italy. The quality of health there is, from what I’ve heard, on a par with the NHS ( i.e. not that high compared with many western European countries). I can’t see there being war between Croatia and Serbia again, Slovenia was hardly touched by the war of independence anyway… I’ve only been there for a few weeks at a time but it does take some getting used to, people are generally better educated than in the UK but funnily enough more close minded/conservative; being openly gay out there might not be the best idea in rural areas for example…

Not sure what you mean about Swedes moral compass, a number of IT guys I know have Swedish wives/partners and they seem pretty ‘connected’, although most think UK culture as a whole is selfish..

HOLA4412

most think UK culture as a whole is selfish..

Yes, and greedy and corrupt us Brits are. Seen globally as a country full of people lying and cheating its way through life.

I know about Slovenia as well, I'm there every summer for weeks with friends. You can still get a nice place in the north for a song. Nice place with land for less than 100k euros. Fixer upper of course.

I'm talking north mountains, away from civilisation. Skofja Loka, Bovec, etc. Biker mecca.

Hopefully they don't completely implode though with this financial crisis.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Another thought: if Spain crashes out of the euro, house prices there might be even cheaper - a beachfront property in a Alicante would suit me fine - and Spain is virtually English speaking in parts...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What most people are looking for is the UK, with slightly better weather, less arseholes and a culture that has not mostly turned to shite.

I am afraid i don't think this place exists.

As someone else says - a different area of the UK may be your best bet.

Although its not gonna tick all your boxes - nothing is.

Ps - your Edinburgh thread is still on the go :D

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The UK is not such a bad place to be.

Bringing up a young family (as we are), commutable to all the main industrial centres can I say that our golden triangle drawn between Burton, Lichfield and Tamworth.

The wife is an hour away from Sheffield by car (graphics team based there), an hour by train to London for client meetings, two airports (east mids/brum) for international travel each within half an hours drive.

HOLA4421

So list of criteria is:

c) Good job prospects

f) Niceish environment

Switzerland, but no B), no d) and no e).

Spain but no c) and thus B) would not apply.)

Iceland would be my choice if, as you presumably can if you're from Edinburgh, I could stand the cold, this is one of few places that has shown some resistance to the bankers.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

My vote would be Norway. They created a sovereign wealth fund rather than splurging their oil income like we did so have a pretty secure future economically. And their women are hot. biggrin.gif

Might fall down on the cost of living there...

Also don't know about job prospects or ease of immigrating (being outside the EU)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My vote would be Norway. They created a sovereign wealth fund rather than splurging their oil income like we did so have a pretty secure future economically. And their women are hot. biggrin.gif

See my earlier point on Scandinavia. Norway, for all it's supposed attraction does not rate highly with expats. And if you think the British youth are lazy, ignorant and addicted to benefits...

I seriously don't know why Norway scores so highly on all these standard of living exercises.

Edited by frozen_out