House Price Crash Forum

Where Is Better Than The Uk?!

roblpm

HOLA441

The Swiss have no sense of humour. Bavaria is much better. Ideally one lives in Bavaria and commutes to Switzerland.

Well, that's like saying that Irish people are stupid or black people are lazy, or something similarly inane and stereotyped. I work with loads of Swiss and German people, and find them both really good humoured. Germanic people in general seem to be more formal, and politeness demands that they don't behave with too much over-familiarity on first meeting. This is often misinterpreted as coldness or over-seriousness. In fact it's just a way of showing respect. Once you're past that initial stage, they are very pleasant people, and always willing to help out.

Bavaria's a nice state for sure, as is Baden-Württemberg. I did look at living over the border in Germany and commuting -- not because of the people but because property is so much more affordable. Unfortunately there are tax complications, and in any case it's just a bit too far to travel, particularly during the snowy season.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's no offence to the Swiss to say they have no sense of humour because they don't have it and don't want to have it. Sense of humour is for the plebs like you and me, When you're filthy rich you don't need it.

They do have a sense of humour, but you need to be 100% fluent in one of their languages to understand it, and in the case of Swiss German, that's a big ask, I can't understand it. The francophones are a bit easier to grasp. The Swiss are often laughing at you behind a poker face, only a little nuance in the way they say something will give it away though.

• 1 year later...
HOLA444

I lived in Australia for a year - I went out there on my work visa years ago -I think the place is overrated in my opinion. I remember buying 24 Crown Lagers for 50 dollars in a bottle shop years ago in Perth - f*ck knows how much it is now. Prices so so high - it was sold to me as a place that was cheap - maybe it was but that was a long time ago yes.

My wife and I want to retire at 60 odd and rent 6 months in Spain and 6 Months in UK. Thats our aim anyway. Think this is the best way.

I would explore SE Asia how about Thailand (to the OP) cheap rents - not sure about jobs.

Good Luck.

• 3 months later...
HOLA445

New Zealand is nice. I've been out here for 7 years now. The work life balance is better, there's less crime, people seem happier - life is just more simple.

I returned to the UK a few years ago for a family visit and I couldn't believe how much worse it had become in just a few years.

Any questions on NZ, let me know. One piece of advice though: avoid Auckland. If you think house prices are bad in the UK then you ain't seen nothin'. Auckland is absolutely out of control, Chinese buyers are fueling a massive speculative boom. If I wasn't already established with property in Auckland I would be looking at Wellington or a nice South Island town.

Edited by Quagmire

HOLA446

Nearly moved to NZ a few years ago, Nelson was the town I identified as suiting us best.

In the end we ended up in Germany which was fantastic, now living in Belgium which I

dont like one bit. Another move is on the cards soon ,2 yrs and both kids will be at Uni or

at least finished with school. May get the opportunity to get a 2 yr contract in Brunei .

Singapore is a fantastic place and could be tempted otherwise I am looking at returning to

the Highlands/Islands of Scotland or rural Ireland. As an outside bet I am also looking at

Sri Lanka.

• 3 months later...
HOLA447

Go to the US, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia. Any 1st world country has a better standard of living than here. An average graduate would be on way under 1500 pounds/ month after tax and be paying rent, council tax, petrol, car maintenance or car lease. Sure he/she could still save a few hundred per month after that, but the real problem lies in that everything in this country is so damn expensive.

Hell all young people I know the first thing that comes to mind with discretionary spending is taking a holiday to get out of this depressing country. Many of them being too stressed out from their boring mundane jobs with little prospects for significant salary increases, that they lack the discipline to save money since they are intimidated by the sheer expense of everything in this country. Many of them then latch onto the property bubble as a possible way out, sound familiar?

HOLA448

Australia is a bit of an exception, it's a very expensive country to live in. But I would say Australia is a good destination for skilled people with experience on their belt as they will be able to command a salary north of $100,000 AUD. Australia is like the US but more expensive, in that there are more opportunities there for a higher salary than here.

Something about British working culture means that most people working in a technical role (outside the oil industry) get shafted, especially in IT. There's a culture in many large corporations here that managers should earn more than their staff and that 'business and management/ people management' skills are worth way more than technical skills.

If you have good technical skills you are better off trying to make your own way than get a career, especially for IT people. The best option being to do both, get a not particularly stressful IT job and have time on the side to work and invest on your own projects.

HOLA449

The problem with being lazy is that every where that is cool for lazy people to live is already full to the brim with lazy people.

If the OP can forget about a) then the (non English speaking) world is your oyster. The kids are 9 and 11, brains like sponges, they'll learn double quick and will translate for you.

My eldest is currently working in Hungary. It's like 'Stepford England'. Full on time warp. All of the old fashioned law and order but no labour camps. Was a story about some ill behaved young guys on a bus. Being a pain. The bus driver pulls over, walks up to the lads and slaps the nearest one. Walks backs to his seat while being applauded by the other passengers.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I lived in Australia for a year - I went out there on my work visa years ago -I think the place is overrated in my opinion. I remember buying 24 Crown Lagers for 50 dollars in a bottle shop years ago in Perth - f*ck knows how much it is now. Prices so so high - it was sold to me as a place that was cheap - maybe it was but that was a long time ago yes.

My wife and I want to retire at 60 odd and rent 6 months in Spain and 6 Months in UK. Thats our aim anyway. Think this is the best way.

I would explore SE Asia how about Thailand (to the OP) cheap rents - not sure about jobs.

Good Luck.

$44 - prices have dropped since you were there https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_36444/crown-lager

• 5 months later...
HOLA4412

So I got to thinking if I was to advise my kids (now 9&11!) where to go where would I tell them??!

As I have relatives in the states they could move there............ cheaper houses, but too many guns and not sure with their pre existing medical conditions that they would ever get medical insurance.

b ) State funded healthcare

For the US that's not necessarily a show-stopper. Assuming they find work with a decent employer or that they have enough money to pay their own premiums for one of the Obamacare related plans, then they'll get coverage for pre-existing conditions. That being said, the US healthcare insurance system is a nightmare to deal with for expensive chronic conditions. US immigration is a whole different problem but they wouldn't be disqualified from getting a Green Card on health grounds unless they had something contagious. Where pre-existing medical conditions will potentially be a show-stopper is for countries that have free healthcare at the point of delivery. E.g Canada will not generally give permanent residence to anyone that will likely cost more than the average Canadian to the healthcare system (there's an exception for spousal sponsorship though).

Indeed. The OP might want to look at which countries have reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK to pay the bills while his children wait for any exclusion period for pre-existing conditions on their health insurance policies to expire.

HOLA4413
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414

I live in Spain. Very English speaking in many parts as said above. Housing is very cheap and there is well paid work (over the border in Gibraltar).

Weather, beaches, access to British supermarkets and shops, employment, and healthcare.

You do have to put up with poor customer service, sharing the roads with truly stunningly bad drivers, and police that you really want to avoid like the plague.

Living in Spain and working in Gibraltar is not the worst lifestyle around and covers a LOT of the bases you lot are looking for.

Lived in Spain for 8 months loved being on the beach loved everything there it apart from most of the English there, a lot people who living there are living a lie they tell you its great and they are living the dream posting pictures of the beach etc.. but there not they just don' want to admit it

One friend i do have out there who lives near Gibraltar border on Costa Del Sol tells me house prices have crashed a lot as we know and you can pick up some nice places and the bars and restaurants are busy so to a tourist all looks good, But there's a lot issues unseen like local police not being paid etc...

I'm putting together an if-all-else-fails back up plan involving working at St Bernard's Hospital in Gibraltar and renting in Sotogrande Costa. I'd be doing something very dull on what amounts to a zero hours contract with only dead man's shoes for promotion, but at least the weather would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415

Im looking to move to Dubai in the future once I have my own place here, tax free, sun and thriving economy. Sure its soulless and an arab country, but many expats are there and after 10-15 years you can probably retire to somewhere nicer in Asia

Plus property is still reasonable e.g. 2 bed 200k in a prime location e.g. Mayfair equivalent.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4416

Having lived in many places Holland (born there), UK, Malta, Australia, Andorra I can't say one is better than the other. What I can say is that each one of them has enriched my family. I am love the fact my kids are fluent in 5 language by the age of 9 and are very flexible. They do struggle a bit with the concept of home country and where do they belong, there is zero patriotism.

I am worried with the move to nationalism and the whole Brexit anti immigrant, anti Polish moves I have seen. It is not only a UK thing, after 2008 crisis people have become more xenophobic around the globe. As a world citizen with no true home it is worrying trend. On the other hand the world is more open than it has ever been.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I am currently a floating expat who migrates with the seasons. Up until a couple of years ago I would spend summer in the UK and then winter in the tropics and Aus/NZ.

In the last couple of years I have only visited the UK for a couple of weeks, preferring to spend my time in Spain, France and Hungary. For the record I'd rate the quality of life much better on the continent than the UK.

I remain a tax resident of the UK as my biz is based there so I am careful not to spend more than six months in any other country.

I have a lot of experience of NZ having lived there before. I honestly think it's 'same s***, different bucket' when comparing to the UK. That said, people in NZ are a lot more laid back than the UK and this makes a big difference to me. 

The climates are not too disimilar, if you want a much superior climate then go to Australia. This summer has been a wash out in many parts of NZ! 

I never made the jump to residency in NZ. Would be too hard for me now as being self employed so long (and age) counts against me. A business visa would be more suited but the $500k investment is too much.

As Brits we get a six month visa for NZ (must be out of NZ for six months after, is possible to extend to nine but then must be away for nine) and that's fine for me. I would never want to spend a whole year in NZ again anyway! The winters can be very depressing and you really feel a sense of the isolation then!

If you have a family then NZ might be a good choice. Very family orientated society which can actually be irksome if you are there as a single. Example is that many events are family friendly. In NZ this means no booze. Some music festivals are now dry!

Talking of booze, NZ is waging a war against alcohol. You can be kicked out of a bar for appearing slughtly drunk. In many cities and towns, booze is banned in all outside areas (including the beaches!). Of course if you only drink at home (as many Kiwis do) then it's not an issue.

NZ is wonderful and will forever be my southern home, but if you are serious about moving there, then don't burn your bridges in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
On 29/01/2017 at 7:49 PM, ExiledMatty said:

Talking of booze, NZ is waging a war against alcohol. You can be kicked out of a bar for appearing slughtly drunk. In many cities and towns, booze is banned in all outside areas (including the beaches!). Of course if you only drink at home (as many Kiwis do) then it's not an issue.

NZ is wonderful and will forever be my southern home, but if you are serious about moving there, then don't burn your bridges in the UK.

I had no idea about the attitude to booze over there. I shall be firing off a couple of teasing emails to world class boozers I met in the Middle East who now live out there.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4420
On 2/8/2017 at 8:51 PM, Jugador said:

I had no idea about the attitude to booze over there. I shall be firing off a couple of teasing emails to world class boozers I met in the Middle East who now live out there.

..can't believe it is that bad...OK attitude for drink/driving ...but some people are tipsy after one pint and to demonise them in a pub seems rediculous (to me).....against the rules of civilisation...:rolleyes:

HOLA4421
Guest TheBlueCat

Canada is nice although house prices in Toronto have gone crazy since I moved here. Vancouver has been in nose bleed territory for years so I wouldn't recommend there either. If you can speak French then Montreal is still affordable and there are plenty of jobs there. The East coast is beautiful and cheap but the employment opportunities are somewhat limited.

HOLA4422
On 3/27/2017 at 1:23 AM, TheBlueCat said:

Canada is nice although house prices in Toronto have gone crazy since I moved here. Vancouver has been in nose bleed territory for years so I wouldn't recommend there either. If you can speak French then Montreal is still affordable and there are plenty of jobs there. The East coast is beautiful and cheap but the employment opportunities are somewhat limited.

...try the EU ..you seem keen enough ....:rolleyes:

HOLA4423
Guest TheBlueCat
3 hours ago, South Lorne said:

...try the EU ..you seem keen enough ....:rolleyes:

Eh? What on earth gives you the idea I'm pro-EU?!!!!!

E.g.

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA4424
HOLA4425