House Price Crash Forum
Ealing53

Bromley - What's It Like?

I'm looking at a new development (Trinity Village) in Bromley, but know absolutely FA about the area. From what I can google, the schools aren't bad at all and it's got good shopping in the centre, but would be interested in everyone's views on the area if they know it. I'm having a hard time persuading my missus that anywhere outside Ealing (which we can't afford) is worth living in, and she will inevitably ask me what the catch is. I though it might be transport, but my view has always been that I'll live where I want to rather than in somewhere I don't want to for a better commute. Besides which you never know what's going to happen with work (redundancy, relocation etc).

I'm looking at a new development (Trinity Village) in Bromley, but know absolutely FA about the area. From what I can google, the schools aren't bad at all and it's got good shopping in the centre, but would be interested in everyone's views on the area if they know it. I'm having a hard time persuading my missus that anywhere outside Ealing (which we can't afford) is worth living in, and she will inevitably ask me what the catch is. I though it might be transport, but my view has always been that I'll live where I want to rather than in somewhere I don't want to for a better commute. Besides which you never know what's going to happen with work (redundancy, relocation etc).

We moved to Bromley more than a year ago. We even had a look at the properties in Trinity Village - shoe boxes. It depends which part of Bromley you choose to live. Chislhurst, is a very nice area but expensive. But Petts Wood, parts of Orpington, Green st Green, and Chelsfield are very nice too. The schools are exceptionally good, most are rated Good and Outstanding by OFSTED. Transport link to central London is excellent - only 15 minutes from Orpington to London Bridge on Fast trains. But, the prices (as well as rents) are generally 10-20% cheaper than comparible properties/area in the other outer boroughs of London. I genuinely do not know why.

We moved to Bromley more than a year ago. We even had a look at the properties in Trinity Village - shoe boxes. It depends which part of Bromley you choose to live. Chislhurst, is a very nice area but expensive. But Petts Wood, parts of Orpington, Green st Green, and Chelsfield are very nice too. The schools are exceptionally good, most are rated Good and Outstanding by OFSTED. Transport link to central London is excellent - only 15 minutes from Orpington to London Bridge on Fast trains. But, the prices (as well as rents) are generally 10-20% cheaper than comparible properties/area in the other outer boroughs of London. I genuinely do not know why.

Thanks for the info on Trinity Village will bear that in mind when we go to take a look. TBH what attracted me was the part-ex offer but that only goes as far as £250k and our flat is a bit over (not much though) - probably not designed to actually be an offer anyone takes up.

Will take a look at Orpington.

Thanks for the info on Trinity Village will bear that in mind when we go to take a look. TBH what attracted me was the part-ex offer but that only goes as far as £250k and our flat is a bit over (not much though) - probably not designed to actually be an offer anyone takes up.

Will take a look at Orpington.

Personally I wouldn'd choose Bromley. I was renting in Kew but couldn't afford to buy there, so we looked elsewhere. First place was bromley, which didn't seem so bad. But then we found Dulwich, which was an acceptable 2nd best to Kew.

Point being that if you like or love Ealing, you'll almost certainly contually regret settling down in Bromley.

Orpington could be different though..

Edited by SHERWICK

Bromley always seems ok to me. Ok, the town centre is a bit rough but I can't think of any centres of a decent size that aren't these days. There seems to be quite a few good residential areas and transport links are fine.

Have you thought of trying Kingston? It is a bit of a half-way house between Ealing and Bromley both in terms of price and type of place. The shopping centre is leagues ahead of Bromley and it has a much nicer position being on the river and close to the big parks. The centre still has it's chav problems in line with my earlier comment. Not cheap for the nicer parts, but still a fair bit cheaper than the nicer parts of Ealing.

Bromley always seems ok to me. Ok, the town centre is a bit rough but I can't think of any centres of a decent size that aren't these days. There seems to be quite a few good residential areas and transport links are fine.

Have you thought of trying Kingston? It is a bit of a half-way house between Ealing and Bromley both in terms of price and type of place. The shopping centre is leagues ahead of Bromley and it has a much nicer position being on the river and close to the big parks. The centre still has it's chav problems in line with my earlier comment. Not cheap for the nicer parts, but still a fair bit cheaper than the nicer parts of Ealing.

Kingston is definitely nicer than Bromley.

Kingston is definitely nicer than Bromley.

I've looked into Kingston and it's not that much cheaper than Ealing TBH. Hence Bromley. In fact, most of west/sw London is incredibly expensive for what you get. Dulwich is also very expensive so that's not really an option.

I've looked into Kingston and it's not that much cheaper than Ealing TBH. Hence Bromley. In fact, most of west/sw London is incredibly expensive for what you get. Dulwich is also very expensive so that's not really an option.

Prices have shot up in Kingston over the past few years, but I had always seen Ealing as being significantly more expensive.

What type of property are you looking for?

Prices have shot up in Kingston over the past few years, but I had always seen Ealing as being significantly more expensive.

What type of property are you looking for?

We're looking for a 3 bed house around the £450k mark. Where I am in Ealing has now climbed to £550k+ for that sort of house, Kingston is a very hard place to look for a house I find - it's very hard to pinpoint decent parts of Kingston. For instance, I like the look of the area just south of the station, but a) it's not cheap and B) the schools don't seem that good.

We're looking for a 3 bed house around the £450k mark. Where I am in Ealing has now climbed to £550k+ for that sort of house, Kingston is a very hard place to look for a house I find - it's very hard to pinpoint decent parts of Kingston. For instance, I like the look of the area just south of the station, but a) it's not cheap and B) the schools don't seem that good.

Kingston is very varied, and different parts will be best for different people. There are a few super-rich areas but for 'normal' people a lot consider the area just north of the station to be the best because it is convenient for both the town centre and Richmond Park and it is quite a well preserved Victorian area. The central part of Surbiton (under a mile away from Kingston) is also sought after because of it's faster train service and nice riverside location.

Unfortunately, there are no houses under £500k in either of those parts and the ones that are there for that type of money are likely to be 2 bed Victorian places that would need a loft conversion to get a third bedroom.

The only area I can think of that you can get decent houses under £500k is Berrylands, and that is a very quiet, suburban area that is quite a long walk from either Kingston or Surbiton centre and does not have many facilities of it's own. I think I'd rather live in a nice part of Bromley than Berrylands, so I'll stop disrupting your thread now!