House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sleepless

Spare A Thought For Poor Old Landlord

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Landlord-left-to-clean-up-mountain-of-rubbish-20130408175750.htm

Landlord left to clean up mountain of rubbish

05/04/13 House left in a mess - St Mark's Road, Horninglow, BurtonLandlords have just managed to evict a tennant from the house and they left it in a mess.

THESE are the conditions in which three children were made to live in a house in Burton – and has left a furious landlord with the bill to clean it up.

Piles of bin bags and rubbish accumulated by the house’s previous tenant have left the property resembling a tip.

There has hardly been a space left untouched, with bags and various items of rubbish spilling out into the garden.

After the tenant decided to leave the premises, landlord Jagjit Singh has been left to clean up the mess.

Mr Singh had been locked in a battle to evict the mother from his property in St Mark’s Road, Horninglow, after she had failed to pay rent for nearly a year, which he says has costs him thousands of pounds.

But Mr Singh only discovered the full scale of the condition the house had been left in after finally regaining access to his house, which the woman and her children had been living in for the past two years.

He told the Mail: “It has been left absolutely ruined. There has been a lot of damage done.

“The lady stopped paying rent last year, and I’ve been trying to get her out ever since. I had to go to court to get an eviction notice. It’s taken nearly a year.”

Despite finally getting rid of his troublesome tenant, Mr Singh has been left with nothing to smile about after being left with the bill for cleaning up the mess left behind by the family, as well as losing out on rent payments which date back to May 2012.

Mr Singh was horrified about what he discovered after getting back into his house and has been left with the headache of sorting out the mess that has been left behind.

He also said he had given up any hope of recouping any of the money lost.

Mr Singh added: “I’ll have to pay to clean it. It will be coming out of my pocket. I won’t be getting any money back. I’ve lost that money.

“I can’t understand how someone could live like that. I’ve never seen a house like it.”

by Taboola

Sod the landlord and his financial concerns, it looks like a case of chronic child neglect.

Looks like a social services failure to me.

So I take it you don't favour any cuts in social services? If you do then this is what you get. Can't have it both ways.

PITY THE DOWNTRODDEN LANDLORD

(Clayton)

Please open your hearts and your purses

To a man who is misunderstood

He gets all the kicks and the curses

Though He wishes you nothing but good

He wistfully begs you to show him

You think he's a friend, not a louse;

So remember the debt that you owe him

The landlord who lends you his house

So pity the downtrodden landlord

And his back that is burdened and bent

Respect his gray hairs, don't ask for repairs

And don't be behind with the rent.

[You are able to work for a living

And rejoice in your strength and your skill;

So try to be kind and forgiving

To a man who a day's work would kill.

You are able to talk with your neighbor

You can look the whole world in its face,

But a landlord that ventured to labor

Would never survive the disgrace.

When thunder clouds gather and darken

You can sleep undisturbed in your bed;

But the landlord must sit up and hearken

And shiver, and wonder, and dread;

If you're killed, then you die in a hurry

And you never will know your bad luck,

But the landlord is shaking with worry ---

"Has one of my houses been struck?"

When a landlord resorts to eviction

Don't think that he does it for spite;

He's acting from deepest conviction,

And what's right, after all, is what's right.

But I see that your hearts are all hardened

And I fear I'm appealing in vain;

Yet I hope my last plea will be pardoned

If I beg on my knees once again:

Pity the downtrodden landlord etc...

So I take it you don't favour any cuts in social services? If you do then this is what you get. Can't have it both ways.

Just throwing money at a problem rarely solves it. Besides, I don't recall ever expressing a view on social services budgets before so I don't believe I am having it both ways.

My comment was merely reflecting on the articles focus on the short term monetary cost to a small business which is seen as the story. The real story should be on the bigger issue of child neglect and how things got to this state and how long it has been this way (that's more than a week or two's rubbish!). I'd speculate that the cause is probably due to a mental health disorder or episode, which is another issue that really needs higher levels of public awareness.

The social services and legal bill this family will incur will dwarf anything this landlord has to pay out, assuming they have any involvement with the family at present. The children may also see this as an acceptable way to live, and a generational problem may now exist. I'd argue the cost to the landlord is just the the very tip of the iceberg in this case and could be considered as an insignificant incidental cost.

All hail the private landlord! The new social landlord of last resort.

Probably only ended up private renting because the local authority had banned her.

The council would just send in a "deep clean" team and have it ready for a new tenant on the list within days.

The private landlord goes whining to the papers, rather than taking it in his stride and getting on with it.

Because this never happened before the cuts (if there have even been any) :lol:

Anyways, dont know what exactly the landlords issue is.

The private landlord goes whining to the papers, rather than taking it in his stride and getting on with it.

What would you do?

Take it in his stride and get on with it?

If it was your grand parents or parents home you had inherited and had to rent to keep up with costs?

or if you bought it on a mortgage and needed rent?

I doubt that somehow

He did enter into an agreement which wasn't met and she damaged his property, whether you like landlords or not, those are the facts.

The landlord is running a business and sometimes you have bad customers ... I am sure that he has appropriate insurance to cover the costs and he must have been fully aware of the risks ... he is after all a canny businessman.

I agree on insurance but that is what pushes up rent costs for everyone.

There are always bad customers but for the legal system to take a year to resolve what is clearly consistently stealing a service and willful damage is unacceptable.

Let's hope it doesn't happen to you,

I don't rent properties by the way

I don't rent out property either so will not have a property trashed by a tenant and every canny BTL landlord knows the issues with the legal system and evicting women with kids, still I guess he was very happy when he was raking in the cash.

Raking in the cash?

You've made it quite clear you aren't a landlord

the fact still remains laws were broken continually for a long time.

Put it another way, if someone borrowed your car and didn't bring it back, you could call the police and I am sure you'd get it back within a week, not a year.

Edited by robo1968

I wonder if there was any connection between the fact that these people were living in somebody else's house with no security of tenure and the manner in which they treated said house.

Quite that's the way it works and with rented property you need to issue a section 21 or there is I believe a different one for non payment of rent and then follow the correct procedures. I am sure that the canny businessman landlord was fully aware of how the rental market works and what is various options are for non payment of rent, damage to the property etc.

I understand but all you are doing is bolstering what I said.

The system isn't working correctly if it takes a year, that's my point

Nice one. I've put your poem in the comments section of the paper

PITY THE DOWNTRODDEN LANDLORD

(Clayton)

Please open your hearts and your purses

To a man who is misunderstood

He gets all the kicks and the curses

Though He wishes you nothing but good

He wistfully begs you to show him

You think he's a friend, not a louse;

So remember the debt that you owe him

The landlord who lends you his house

So pity the downtrodden landlord

And his back that is burdened and bent

Respect his gray hairs, don't ask for repairs

And don't be behind with the rent.

[You are able to work for a living

And rejoice in your strength and your skill;

So try to be kind and forgiving

To a man who a day's work would kill.

You are able to talk with your neighbor

You can look the whole world in its face,

But a landlord that ventured to labor

Would never survive the disgrace.

When thunder clouds gather and darken

You can sleep undisturbed in your bed;

But the landlord must sit up and hearken

And shiver, and wonder, and dread;

If you're killed, then you die in a hurry

And you never will know your bad luck,

But the landlord is shaking with worry ---

"Has one of my houses been struck?"

When a landlord resorts to eviction

Don't think that he does it for spite;

He's acting from deepest conviction,

And what's right, after all, is what's right.

But I see that your hearts are all hardened

And I fear I'm appealing in vain;

Yet I hope my last plea will be pardoned

If I beg on my knees once again:

Pity the downtrodden landlord etc...

The report tells the name of the road.

Story made the DMail as well.

Looking at the perspective of the buildings in the background from the garden photo in the DMail, against the same on streetview, I think it's this house below. Going to assume one side of the fence on the inner garden side has been damaged and replaced since streetview passed.

Bought in November 2010. And if he bought it in 2010, pretty quickly let it out to a bad tenant (with 3 or 4 kids).

http://www.rightmove...country=england

Zoopla's page describes it as ex-council house, when someone in 2005 was trying to sell it for £105K.

robo there are risks involved. If you inherited it and can't run it, sell it. Or rent it out, but accept the risks. Doing due diligence with references and not perhaps, taking the risk of letting to a woman with 3 or 4 kids for the nice easy DLA. I wouldn't be happy with myself for buying any house that I later 'needed to rent out' tbh, as that would mean my planning had failed, and I've got fear of being a landlord with the responsibilities and risks involved. However some love it, thinking it easy money with little risk, but sometimes you can expect things to go badly wrong, including voids, bad tenants, non-payment. A commercial risk.

Doesn't matter, if landlords don't like the fact it takes a year then don't start a business renting out property. The legal system is what it is ... look at how long it takes to evict a cleric who is also an illegal immigrant. I don't know how long it takes to get paid if you rent out a car and the customer rights it off, but if I was starting that type of business I would find out and plan accordingly.

Again I get it but that doesn't mean it's right.

I am sure Landlord bashing is very fashionable here but can't you see the injustice in not being able to protect what is yours without massive cost and delay?

Guest eight

Again I get it but that doesn't mean it's right.

I am sure Landlord bashing is very fashionable here but can't you see the injustice in not being able to protect what is yours without massive cost and delay?

If he just wanted the house to remain pristine he could always have left it empty.

robo there are risks involved. If you inherited it and can't run it, sell it. Or rent it out, but accept the risks. Doing due diligence with references and not perhaps, taking the risk of letting to a woman with 3 or 4 kids for the nice easy DLA. I wouldn't be happy with myself for buying any house that I later 'needed to rent out' tbh, as that would mean my planning had failed, and I've got fear of being a landlord with the responsibilities and risks involved. However some love it, thinking it easy money with little risk, but sometimes you can expect things to go badly wrong, including voids, bad tenants, non-payment. A commercial risk.

Yep, I get it and like I said I don't rent property and feel that it is fundamentally wrong BUT a year for something so obvious and easily proved is wrong in my opinion

I was speaking to a teacher who rents about 5 properties the other day and for what it's worth I spend much of my time accusing her of doing wrong but she did explain that references mean very little and what can start as a respectful church going couple on paper can become a woman with 3 or 4 kids for the nice easy DLA and there is nothing you can do to protect yourself.

Guest eight

I was speaking to a teacher who rents about 5 properties the other day and for what it's worth I spend much of my time accusing her of doing wrong but she did explain that references mean very little and what can start as a respectful church going couple on paper can become a woman with 3 or 4 kids for the nice easy DLA and there is nothing you can do to protect yourself.

Well, there is something you can do....

What is it with teachers and BTL? I thought the best perk of being a teacher in the first place was the pension?

Well, there is something you can do....

What is it with teachers and BTL? I thought the best perk of being a teacher in the first place was the pension?

Nail on head, it drives me nuts especially when they are left wing but hey, it is their money and they can do what they like I guess.

All their friends do the same, it makes me a lot less sympathetic to their gripes

Yep, I get it and like I said I don't rent property and feel that it is fundamentally wrong BUT a year for something so obvious and easily proved is wrong in my opinion

My mistake, it's not DLA but something else.. I'll just call it Housing Benefit.

Yes; I know. Even due-diligence and references can't be relied upon. Read loads of scams, when immediately the tenant sub-lets it, or immediately refuses to pay their rent. Panorama followed around some tenants who'd been doing such for years; and when the bailiff arrived, having reached that stage after a lot of costs incurred by the landlord, the tenant still had a week or so to go. In that instance the old con guy towered over the bailiff and gave him a little scare by feigning the beginning of an attack.

I agree on insurance but that is what pushes up rent costs for everyone.

There are always bad customers but for the legal system to take a year to resolve what is clearly consistently stealing a service and willful damage is unacceptable.

Let's hope it doesn't happen to you,

I don't rent properties by the way

That is the risk that is taken if in the business of renting out property......take up references if you want that risk to be less and offer better prices for better tenants with a past verified history.......or sell it and not worry about any of it.......choices. ;)