House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wonderpup

Thatcher And White Collar Crime

Cameron see's himself as an inheritor of Thatcher's legacy- but would the Iron lady have been as supine as he in the face of the City's criminal enterprise- this small anecdote suggests not:

It is now clear that if you are a friend of the Tory Government, you can organise and run frauds in the City realising multi-billion pound losses; you can manipulate the world's leading interest-rate setting mechanism to your own financial advantage and you can launder billions of dollars worth of drug money, all of which are straight-forward crimes, and no-one will do a damn thing to prosecute you.

Ironically, this would not have been a true state of affairs under Margaret Thatcher's control. The death of the former Prime Minister has just been announced, and I am reminded of the time just before her second election, when she too wanted to take on the welfare benefit issue as part of her election campaign.

She was reminded by Cecil Parkinson that if the Tories wanted to go up against the benefit culture, in order to be seen to be fair and maintain their working-class vote at the same time, they would have to do something about the plethora of City Fraud which was fast becoming a national scandal.

Her response was somehow typical of her;

'Well. we'd better get the handcuffs on, Cecil!

Later that day, Ernest Saunders was arrested coming out of his solicitor's offices, and the Guinness prosecution was set in train!

http://rowans-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/why-we-face-bloody-revolution-on.html

It's a strange thought that the Tories great champion might have been the only leader in modern times who possessed both the will and the guts to take on the monster she herself created when she deregulated in the city of London. Sadly those who followed her lack both.

Cameron see's himself as an inheritor of Thatcher's legacy- but would the Iron lady have been as supine as he in the face of the City's criminal enterprise- this small anecdote suggests not:

http://rowans-blog.b...olution-on.html

It's a strange thought that the Tories great champion might have been the only leader in modern times who possessed both the will and the guts to take on the monster she herself created when she deregulated in the city of London. Sadly those who followed her lack both.

The city wasnt deregulated so it could be run by criminals.

A rather simplistic and partisan approach, isn't it?

All British politicians and ruling class have been at the behest, and indeed the mercy of the banks since 1694.

Maggie just did what she was told:

• Scrapped fixed commission rates, arguable making the exchange more competitive in a global market.

• Paved the way for integrated investment banks by getting rid of the barrier between stockbrokers and stockjobbers (stockjobbers were firms that acted as an intermediary between brokers)

• Abolished rules barring foreign companies from buying City firms – leading to 65 per cent of the City’s workforce having non-British employers in 2011.

• And created a modernised and more efficient market by swapping exchange floor trading for screen-based computer trading.

That's your (naive) opinion.

please explain exactly what the deregulation actually was please.

Then I might take that comment on board.

And lets not forget, bail outs were not part of the equation.

Thatcher wanted to see that people were rewarded for success not for failure.......she gave them an inch and they helped themselves to a mile......more than a fair and square mile. ;)

wiki and the Big Bang:

n the UK, Big Bang became one of the cornerstones of the Thatcher government's reform programme. Prior to these reforms, the once-dominant financial institutions of the City of London were failing to compete with foreign banking. While London was still a global centre of finance, it had been surpassed by New York, and was in danger of falling still further behind. Thatcher's government claimed that the two problems behind the decline of London banking were overregulation and the dominance of elitist old boy networks and that the solution lay in the free market doctrines of unfettered competition and meritocracy.

It didnt mean UNREGULATION....it meant that new firms could compete in the financial markets...

please explain exactly what the deregulation actually was please.

Seriously?! we are in 2013, you should be aware of search engines by now... :rolleyes:

Maggie had been selected at the 1977 Bilderberger meeting to become the next UK PM.

As you all know she then became PM and I'm sure the 'Bilderbergers' where very satisfied with the way she implemented all the changes that they requested her to implement. The liberalisation has been a great success for the 1% (not so much for the 99%)...

She worked for the same masters as (almost) all other politicians.

Bilderberg founder Denis Healy tells a great story about Thatcher’s first appearance at the exclusive group in the mid-1970s before she became a world politician.

Thatcher sat through her first gathering without uttering a word. After complaints about her silence – this was, after all, an elite gathering of talking heads – Healy appealed to the “iron lady” and the next day she addressed the gathering for three minutes in true Thatcher style. “As a result of that speech, David Rockefeller and Henry Kissinger and the other Americans fell in love with her,” says Healy. “They brought her over to America, took her around in limousines and introduced her to everyone.” Four years later Thatcher was elected prime minister of the UK. Obviously Thatcher led a great campaign that won her election, but clearly the Bilderberg connections didn’t hurt her.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2011-05-26-how-really-powerful-are-the-people-with-brains-and-money/

The city wasn't deregulated so it could be run by criminals.

If you're competing with other nations to see who can run the most criminal-friendly banking sector, then that's a bit moot... I didn't leave my car unlocked so that criminals could steal my stereo, but guess what?

wiki and the Big Bang:

n the UK, Big Bang became one of the cornerstones of the Thatcher government's reform programme. Prior to these reforms, the once-dominant financial institutions of the City of London were failing to compete with foreign banking. While London was still a global centre of finance, it had been surpassed by New York, and was in danger of falling still further behind. Thatcher's government claimed that the two problems behind the decline of London banking were overregulation and the dominance of elitist old boy networks and that the solution lay in the free market doctrines of unfettered competition and meritocracy.

It didnt mean UNREGULATION....it meant that new firms could compete in the financial markets...

Yes i remember well the day she revoked regulated limited liability and tax advantage on debt, wondrous days indeed, even though i was just 7 i realised what a free marketeer meritocratically momentous move it was

and to be fair the introduction of the FSA didnt mean unregulation, it meant these firms could also compete in the financial markets, free market like

It amazes me that some people still don't see this obvious truism.... :ph34r:

(not talking about anyone on here, just in general)

Under Thatcher and all proceeding prime ministers the bank of England did a very good job regulating the banks.

Sadly Gordon Brown thought that the FSA could do better.

Under Thatcher and all proceeding prime ministers the bank of England did a very good job regulating the banks.

Sadly Gordon Brown thought that the FSA could do better.

Yes, i still remember now Mervyn King belittling the Labour minister who happened to question mortgage debt and bank lending a few years ago, BOE answer, you dont understand banking me dear, clearly they are completely different now, its not like they are driving down interest rates and thus up debt as has been done for the last 30 years through various mechanisms be they private or state driven.

They were all going on about the free market legacy yesterday and especially Cameron so soon after introducing stuff like "Help to Buy".

Joke really.....if the markets were free the houses would be cheap enough to buy without help.....or that expensive most would not and could not buy, except only the privileged few that had access to the purse strings......and they wouldn't secure huge rents from them courtesy of state subsidies. ;)

Yes, i still remember now Mervyn King belittling the Labour minister who happened to question mortgage debt and bank lending a few years ago, BOE answer, you dont understand banking me dear, clearly they are completely different now, its not like they are driving down interest rates and thus up debt as has been done for the last 30 years through various mechanisms be they private or state driven.

King likes to belittle people, it seems. Especially the "little" people. On test match special a year or two ago he belittled Geoff Boycott for having the cheek to ask why the banksters get a share the profits but make the taxpayer pick up the losses. King said something to the effect of Boycott knows nothing about economics. His policies rob us of savings and we have the gall to ask about that ?!

Let them eat cake !

Seriously?! we are in 2013, you should be aware of search engines by now... :rolleyes:

Maggie had been selected at the 1977 Bilderberger meeting to become the next UK PM.

As you all know she then became PM and I'm sure the 'Bilderbergers' where very satisfied with the way she implemented all the changes that they requested her to implement. The liberalisation has been a great success for the 1% (not so much for the 99%)...

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2011-05-26-how-really-powerful-are-the-people-with-brains-and-money/

John Redwood in his blog yesterday said something extremely revealing IMO

"I first took the idea of equity for everyone to her in opposition. I told how how she could offer shares and property for the many, from a large privatisaiton programme. It could include employee ownership and employee buy outs, as well as the big show privatisations. After a lively argument at one of her issue lunches she told me “They won’t let me do that”. It was a very revealing answer. She was all too conscious of the power of the state establishment "

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2013/04/08/why-we-remember-margaret-thatcher/

Rather than focus on Thatcher the most useful thing is to compare parallel developments in the US.

Fairly robust prosecution until Enron. And then ... it's gone.

http://www.dailymave...ains-and-money/

Zionist-Marxist Bilderbergers > Criminals

(fulfilling Biblical One Global Power?)

Rather than focus on Thatcher the most useful thing is to compare parallel developments in the US.

Fairly robust prosecution until Enron. And then ... it's gone.

The Zionist New York bankers burnt all the FBi evidence stacked up against them in their zionist owned WTC7 tower building

(which they blew up to make sure after letting the fires burn exactly 7 hours!)

Note all the Masonic 'GG's' appearing

WTC7

Thatcher 1977

letting the fires burn exactly 7 hours

That is off topic. She did lots of things. Please start a thread on the Gini index and thatcher and I am sure lots of people will be happy to

discuss it. This thread is about white collar crime.

Is it? By deregulating so much of Britain and selling off so much of what should have remained nationalised corporations she opened the door for white collar criminals.

The only other British 'criminals' in her time were the unions.

Examples:

1981 - British Telecom

1982 - Britoil

1984 - Jaguar

1986 - British Gas

1987 - British Airways

1987 - British Petroleum

1987 - BAA

1988 - British Steel

1989 - Plenty of water companies

1986 - 1992 - Lots of mines

And how did the public at large benefit from any of this?