House Price Crash Forum
Does Commute Abit

Since Easter...lots Gone Sstc

Not a pleasant thing to post, but I have a worrying anecdotal to report on the Surrey/Hants border. Lots of £250-300k houses have gone over Easter and Estate Agents are getting cocky.

A basic lack of supply being sited by the little oik at the EA office. He quoted 5-6 properties coming on a week and 15-17 being sold. Seems to match with my watching of rightmove, so there is some truth at least in what the smarmy EA was saying.

This is really disturbing as next year comes the Help To Inflate programme from the government.

SSTC is not a sale.

when the house is sold, and appears on LR/property price websites then you can consider it sold. but as that data can take a number of months to come through, its a bull and hope until then really.

watch right move with property bee, howm any properties in your search have

"21st february gone SSTC"

"2nd april Gone to Avaliable"

and so on. there is 1000's of things that can stop a house sale, from finance, to survey to mupet vendors etc. and if they are really getting sold, then its the last of the good credit sheeple who know no better, there will only be the uncreditworthy and the people waiting for a crash left

Edited by Monkey

SSTC is not a sale.

when the house is sold, and appears on LR/property price websites then you can consider it sold. but as that data can take a number of months to come through, its a bull and hope until then really.

watch right move with property bee, howm any properties in your search have

"21st february gone SSTC"

"2nd april Gone to Avaliable"

and so on. there is 1000's of things that can stop a house sale, from finance, to survey to mupet vendors etc. and if they are really getting sold, then its the last of the good credit sheeple who know no better, there will only be the uncreditworthy and the people waiting for a crash left

Osborne the buble popper. It will go bang! Southern Euro crisis is steadily becoming the mid Euro crisis......

Not a pleasant thing to post, but I have a worrying anecdotal to report on the Surrey/Hants border. Lots of £250-300k houses have gone over Easter and Estate Agents are getting cocky.

That's not too dissimilar in South Manchester. It's been put to me it's the effect of 2 incomes households bringing in £50K-£70K, hitting the ceiling of their wage prospects, wanting to get 'on the ladder' with a standard little house, and competition amongst others similarly placed.

I'm more interested in what's happening with the houses in the £450k-£750K. Way fewer sales and more downsizers coming to market every day (in South-Manchester at least). Those who've bought at £200K-£300K in haste means there is even smaller market for the older owners with the better homes to sell to. When the upper end falls more, it will drag down the value of those £200K-£300K homes.

A basic lack of supply being sited by the little oik at the EA office. He quoted 5-6 properties coming on a week and 15-17 being sold. Seems to match with my watching of rightmove, so there is some truth at least in what the smarmy EA was saying.

This is really disturbing as next year comes the Help To Inflate programme from the government.

Have I read the above in bold right? as they will be sold out very soon if I have

That's not too dissimilar in South Manchester. It's been put to me it's the effect of 2 incomes households bringing in £50K-£70K, hitting the ceiling of their wage prospects, wanting to get 'on the ladder' with a standard little house, and competition amongst others similarly placed.

I agree completely, only solution would be to build more houses, but that's not a government priority now is it?

Worried now as next year is blatant bubble-blowing by the Chancellor and this year is going up too, from what I can see. Of course, it will all end in tears eventually, but time and life moving forward are making waiting things out for a few years impossible.

I have been sold to FTB's for 5 months & and am desperate to move for personal reasons yet keep constantly getting out bidded by other buyers who are even offering over the asking price. Where I live in Essex, there are NO properties for sale and IF they do come on the market, unless they are on a main road, they are selling before they hit Rightmove. The offers I have had accepted, the vendors are pulling out of sales as they cannot find a property to move to. Due to this shortage of properties in my area, vendors who had no intention of moving are putting them on the market for ridiculous prices (20k - 30k over the normal asking price). I have told my agent that due to no properties for sale, I too will probably have to pull out of my sale and let my buyers down after months of them waiting to move in. Agents tell me they hope when the warmer weather arrives it may encourage people to sell or maybe the lack of properties is due to cash cuts and people just can't afford to move!

I have been sold to FTB's for 5 months & and am desperate to move for personal reasons yet keep constantly getting out bidded by other buyers who are even offering over the asking price. Where I live in Essex, there are NO properties for sale and IF they do come on the market, unless they are on a main road, they are selling before they hit Rightmove. The offers I have had accepted, the vendors are pulling out of sales as they cannot find a property to move to. Due to this shortage of properties in my area, vendors who had no intention of moving are putting them on the market for ridiculous prices (20k - 30k over the normal asking price). I have told my agent that due to no properties for sale, I too will probably have to pull out of my sale and let my buyers down after months of them waiting to move in. Agents tell me they hope when the warmer weather arrives it may encourage people to sell or maybe the lack of properties is due to cash cuts and people just can't afford to move!

1, There is no shortage of properties. there is a shortage of realist sellers.

2, there are properties for sale, what you are experiencing is no properties you want for sale in a price you can afford.

3, i do not beleive the EA bull that houses are selling faster than they can market them, and for a premium as well. if that is so then Essex is more "boyant" than London.

4, Rent, sell your house and move into rented accomodation. you then become a chain free buyer, and you will then have the upper hand, if and when you find the house of your dreams.

Edited by Monkey

have also noticed a lot of 'new to the market' houses being listed where the gardens are bathed in sunshine and in full bloom. Not likely in my neck of the woods where buds are barely appearing on anything.

suggests a recycling of 'old' properties at 'new' prices or very slow photograph developing :)

Edited by olliegog

I posted a couple of weeks ago that this is what I have been seeing too. North east Hampshire here......

Some selling before hitting rightmove. Much of the cheaper stuff going quickly. Even some of the utter rubbish thats been on for years is selling.

As said (typed) previously really feel like giving up. It might all end in tears, but if that takes 5-10 years then for me it would be better just to give in and buy (plus points, no more lettings agents, permanent familiy home, getting screwd on savings anyway why not take some cheap money)

Personally the budget showed me the true colours of our new leaders!

I posted a couple of weeks ago that this is what I have been seeing too. North east Hampshire here......

Some selling before hitting rightmove. Much of the cheaper stuff going quickly. Even some of the utter rubbish thats been on for years is selling.

As said (typed) previously really feel like giving up. It might all end in tears, but if that takes 5-10 years then for me it would be better just to give in and buy (plus points, no more lettings agents, permanent familiy home, getting screwd on savings anyway why not take some cheap money)

Agree - all v depressing to longtime HPC members (and lurkers).

Seen this a lot .... but they are re-cycled sales from last year with the details on the Land Registry in Nov last year ... a pretend sale ... look how fast things are selling. Lies.

Yes, lots of pretend sales in my area but still it depressing seeing houses going off the market far faster than new ones come on.

I've been foolish - the key to the UK housing market isn't the economy, demographics or the availability of credit, it is restricted supply. Like De Beers and Diamonds, the price is high as the supply is very restricted rather than natural crystalised carbon that is cut and polished being particularly rare.

Edited by Does Commute Alot

Seen this a lot .... but they are re-cycled sales from last year with the details on the Land Registry in Nov last year ... a pretend sale ... look how fast things are selling. Lies.

I have seen some of this sharp practice, but not that much for my local villages. I was referring to genuine stuff. I keep a very close eye on the local market. Being saving details on the PC since 2003, in an organised way since about 2006 and been keeping a very detailed spreadsheet since 2010. So at least I 'think' I know the value of things. But then the odd house price surprises me, sometimes more, and in a few cases significantly less. However any potential good deals haven't come off, and the circumstances have been a bit suspicious. Like saying things are sold when showing available. Like people accepting an offer, then changing their mind (maybe EA passes info to a mate perhaps).....etc etc

Throw caution to the wind and buy. We just have. A little more than we intended to spend but with a 2.89% 4 year fix its very affordable. We have over a third of the mortgage in savings and intend (all being well) to pay off a third during the 4 year fix out of income whilst still adding to our savings. If we are sensible we should be able to clear the mortgage in about 8 years. This assumes rates stay low. If they don't well we'll still be able to pay down about 2/3rds of it without too much worry.

As you said you are being screwed on savings and renting is not a cheap option in your area (I'm in NE Hampshire too). Houses in certain areas with good schools sell like hot cakes. We went straight in at full asking price for ours. Don't like doing that but after months of putting in lower offers and missing out we've had to face facts and realise that it's only the less desirable locations or houses in dilapidated condition that are going for less. We've followed up all the houses we viewed and didn't buy and every one coming onto Land Registry figures went for either asking price or extremely close to it. In any case they all went for more than we offered.

I wish it were different but it isn't. If we didn't go full asking on ours then it would have gone within days to another buyer for the same. We know of a few families in our children's school all looking to buy locally and we've missed out on a few which didn't even make it to the scheduled open day viewings, being snapped up with asking price offers (or more) in advance, mostly likely by people knocking on doors directly. It's a crazy market in our area at the moment.

Throw caution to the wind and buy. We just have. A little more than we intended to spend but with a 2.89% 4 year fix its very affordable. We have over a third of the mortgage in savings and intend (all being well) to pay off a third during the 4 year fix out of income whilst still adding to our savings. If we are sensible we should be able to clear the mortgage in about 8 years. This assumes rates stay low. If they don't well we'll still be able to pay down about 2/3rds of it without too much worry.

As you said you are being screwed on savings and renting is not a cheap option in your area (I'm in NE Hampshire too). Houses in certain areas with good schools sell like hot cakes. We went straight in at full asking price for ours. Don't like doing that but after months of putting in lower offers and missing out we've had to face facts and realise that it's only the less desirable locations or houses in dilapidated condition that are going for less. We've followed up all the houses we viewed and didn't buy and every one coming onto Land Registry figures went for either asking price or extremely close to it. In any case they all went for more than we offered.

I wish it were different but it isn't. If we didn't go full asking on ours then it would have gone within days to another buyer for the same. We know of a few families in our children's school all looking to buy locally and we've missed out on a few which didn't even make it to the scheduled open day viewings, being snapped up with asking price offers (or more) in advance, mostly likely by people knocking on doors directly. It's a crazy market in our area at the moment.

Looking at your posts, Mr Gardener, I think you might be just over the A331 from where I live now (moved a few months ago). Market is indeed crazy and very demoralizing.

Looking at your posts, Mr Gardener, I think you might be just over the A331 from where I live now (moved a few months ago). Market is indeed crazy and very demoralizing.

Yep. I'm about a mile or so from the A331. It's a mad market but we just couldn't put off buying any longer. Can't do another year on the sofa bed.

Now we've bought (trading up) it must mark the peak of the market. Crash must be imminent.

Edited by the gardener

I'm forever surpirsed as suposed "new" properties coming on which have many months or even years of listings from Property Bee (shock horror, EAs not being totally open!).

What surprises me more is that quite often the prices have gone UP. Is this poeple expecting to get knocked down, so being cheeky, or do people still believe that their propoerty is going up 10% a year?

Latest example listed in Aug 2010 at £495k, down to £440k by March 2012 (seriously, reduce it, get it sold and get on with you lives!). Its recently been re-listed as "new" but for £470k......how does that work? It didnt sell for £440k, so try adding £30k to the asking price?

FYI, this is kind of SE.

There are far to many support mechanisms in place for realistic prices. The above, by my reckoning, it a £300-£325k home but with IRs at 0.5%, no urgency, its going nowhere.