House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

All U K Supermarkets Rationing Formula Baby Milk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22066243

Currency wars, protectionism and now the global baby milk suppliers are rationing sales to UK in favour of Chinese demand - ominous in the light of the coming global food shortages

Retailers in the UK are rationing sales of powdered baby milk, because of a surge in demand for foreign-made baby milk in China.

Danone, the manufacturer of Aptamil and Cow and Gate baby milk powder, said most supermarkets were introducing a restriction of two cans per customer.

It said the limit was to prevent some individuals from bulk-buying baby milk for "unofficial exports".

Retailers said they were also capping sales of Nestle's SMA formula milks.

"We understand that the increased demand is being fuelled by unofficial exports to China to satisfy the needs of parents who want Western brands for their babies," said Danone in a statement.

Chinese thirst "We would like to apologise to parents for any inconvenience caused by this limit. We know that most parents only buy one pack at a time, so we hope that the impact of this limit on UK parents will be minimal," it added.

Supermarkets Asda, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons said they have limited purchases to two units per customer per day of powdered baby milk brands, including Aptamil, Cow and Gate, SMA and HiPP organic milk formula.

Foreign-made baby formula are popular in China, especially since a locally manufactured formula laced with the industrial chemical melamine killed six infants in 2008 and caused another 300,000 to fall ill.

Earlier this year, shops in Australia were forced to restrict sales of infant formula, as Chinese customers and tourists bought them in bulk to send them home or to sell them online.

Authorities in Hong Kong also introduced restrictions in February to prevent shortages, banning travellers from leaving the territory with more than 1.8 kg (4lb) of formula. Last month, 10 people were arrested there for trying to smuggle more than the allowed amount into mainland China.

Danone said it was taking action to respond to the shortfall in the UK, including increasing production of milk, which means extra supplies of all its brands are arriving every week, according to BBC business correspondent Emma Simpson.

I thought we had 'free markets' and 'competition' in the UK. If so, why have all the UK supermarkets spontanteously decided to ration baby food all at the same time?

Perhaps you could do something about feeding our newborns Dave rather than whatever else you're busying yourself with today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22066243

Currency wars, protectionism and now the global baby milk suppliers are rationing sales to UK in favour of Chinese demand - ominous in the light of the coming global food shortages

I thought we had 'free markets' and 'competition' in the UK. If so, why have all the UK supermarkets spontanteously decided to ration baby food all at the same time?

Perhaps you could do something about feeding our newborns Dave rather than whatever else you're busying yourself with today.

Breast is best.

Only two per day? How would one survive? :PMust be some sort of organised mass buying and shipping off or something causing this?

I mean, one formula thingy lasts a helluva long time (if we're talking the big tubs).

Isn't this because of the scares about what goes into Chinese produced baby milk and hence the Chinese not wishing to buy their own brands.

However, RK is right about the potential for future food shortages in the UK as China gets more economic muscle and more taste for Western foods.

The Chinese have a growing middle class who demand assured quality no matter what the price - anyone who wants to start a business can't do much wrong by opening a chain of quality retailers such as John Lewis or M&S over there. You will be a multi-billionaire in no time.

Supermarkets haven't run short of cheap gin, and generally that keeps kids quiet! :angry:

Supermarkets haven't run short of cheap gin, and generally that keeps kids quiet! :angry:

Finally on this thread we hear from the voice of reason :)

Tempting.

My 15 month old is climbing everything at the moment and cannot be stopped/reasoned with.

Surely I don't have to draw you a picture, DB?

Just ask your avatar to turn around :D

Tempting.

My 15 month old is climbing everything at the moment and cannot be stopped/reasoned with.

Bit of a Terminator? :blink:

I don't have children Mr Tuesday, but I have friends who have! It's just that age where everything has to be on a high shelf! ;)

Can't you people see whats happening!!

Deep in an underground bunker our Lizard overlords are busy replicating a thousand baby Thatchers...

...and they need feeding...

alienemerging_0.jpg

Am I seriously expected to believe that buying tins of baby milk in a UK supermarket and shipping it to China could be profitable even after all the manufacturer's profit, supermarket profit, tax etc and whatever the costs of the shipping method and the bribes for all concerned at the Chinese end...?

Is this seriously a way of making some cash...?

Like REALLY...???

I'm not getting all closed-mind about it, just finding this a little hard to swallow...

XYY