House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

You Now Pay 71P To Send A Message On Facebook

The story is about paying £10 to send a message to a celeb, that's fair enough in my book as all celeb-obsessed muppets deserve to be fleeced, but I didn't know it cost 71p anyway, unless:

Users who are Facebook friends or who share mutual friends are still able to keep in contact with no charge.

Surely this means Facebook will now go the way of friends reunited, bebo etc. as a replacement that doesn't make this charge pops up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305396/How-people-going-like-Facebook-starts-charging-UK-users-10-send-messages-celebrities.html

How many people are going to 'like' this? Facebook starts charging UK users up to £10 to send messages to celebrities

Sliding scale of up to £10.68 to message those outside friendship circle

Fans pay full price to contact diver Tom Daly, but just 71p for Miranda Hart

Facebook says 'priority messages' stop users being bombarded with spam

Edit: I'm not on Facebook but know many people who are.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Does the zeleb get a cut of the fee? If not then I'd expect a lot of them to withdraw from facebook. I'd like to think some would withdraw on principle that their fans shouldn't be ripped off like this.

Anyway isn't Twatter the cool way to massage zelebs egos these days?

Why would you send messages anyway to people who aren't friends/ who you don't know?

Is Gordon Brown on Facebook?

It'd be worth a tenner to call him a ****.

Is Gordon Brown on Facebook?

It'd be worth a tenner to call him a ****.

:lol:

He'd make millions in a day!!!

The spam ads in the news feeds have got much worse. The unintended consequences has been that people have been reducing their friend number to core friends as i think the ads spam accross and turning off news feeds.

Read about that company that developed apps only for Facebook.......

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Does the zeleb get a cut of the fee? If not then I'd expect a lot of them to withdraw from facebook. I'd like to think some would withdraw on principle that their fans shouldn't be ripped off like this.

I'd also like to know who is classed as a celeb in that case? Is celebrity status now defined by whether it costs 71p or £10 to send someone a message? If they get a cut then I'm quite happy to create my own celebrity status. It also might encourage my mates to ring me (how old fashioned) when they need to invite me to something, instead of me finding out a month later when I bother to log in.

Guest eight

I hear Natalie Cassidy is willing to pay for messages to be sent to her.

Just this last weekend I fleetingly considered joining Facebook, after years of indifference. That probably means it really is on its last legs.