House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Breaking Bad

I can't stand most US shows. I don't think their culture is very similar to ours at all, so apart from the fact that the language is almost English they seem rather foreign and alien to me.

I can't invest the time needed to wade through 80-odd episodes of something. I give up easily.

These long-running shows often come across to me as follows:

Someone has an idea for a show. They pull together an outline script for a season.

Someone takes that on and they make and air the first season to see how it goes.

If the reaction is good enough, they buy out the story and get someone, anyone, to write another couple of seasons. At which point the tight nature of the plot and narrative falls away because all the producers are interested in is the characters, and it's the characters which hook the viewer.

Soap operas, basically. After a season or two you begin to realise that nothing much ever actually happens, threads are floated then abandoned, and it's a waste of your time. Lost was a good example of this. How could you go wrong with a lush desert island and some good characters? Yawn... about as much fun as Hollyoaks.

There's all the "US dramas are mostly crap" or "people seem to be very easily pleased by extremely light entertainment" criticism.

This one is the first one I've really got into maybe because it's so "edgy" and unusual for these, at least compared to what I have seen.

We're just at the penultimate episode of season 4, season 5 is also on Netflix.

I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but it's certainly engaging, and at times, gripping.

Season 3 was the weakest and most of it was fairly pointless, but Season 4 brings it back on track.

Some of it is genuinely hilarious and the writers have so far dropped references to Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Office Space, good company. Some really nice little touches.

The characters are great even though the credibility of their personalities does wane at times. Jesse (Aaron Paul) is very, very nice to look at, Gus is outstanding (that "smile" is fantastic), the guy in the wheelchair with the bell - some really memorable stuff.

No spoilers about Season 5 please if you have seen it... what's your take?

I can't stand most US shows. I don't think their culture is very similar to ours at all, so apart from the fact that the language is almost English they seem rather foreign and alien to me.

I can't invest the time needed to wade through 80-odd episodes of something. I give up easily.

These long-running shows often come across to me as follows:

Someone has an idea for a show. They pull together an outline script for a season.

Someone takes that on and they make and air the first season to see how it goes.

If the reaction is good enough, they buy out the story and get someone, anyone, to write another couple of seasons. At which point the tight nature of the plot and narrative falls away because all the producers are interested in is the characters, and it's the characters which hook the viewer.

Soap operas, basically. After a season or two you begin to realise that nothing much ever actually happens, threads are floated then abandoned, and it's a waste of your time. Lost was a good example of this. How could you go wrong with a lush desert island and some good characters? Yawn... about as much fun as Hollyoaks.

There's all the "US dramas are mostly crap" or "people seem to be very easily pleased by extremely light entertainment" criticism.

This one is the first one I've really got into maybe because it's so "edgy" and unusual for these, at least compared to what I have seen.

We're just at the penultimate episode of season 4, season 5 is also on Netflix.

I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but it's certainly engaging, and at times, gripping.

Season 3 was the weakest and most of it was fairly pointless, but Season 4 brings it back on track.

Some of it is genuinely hilarious and the writers have so far dropped references to Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Office Space, good company. Some really nice little touches.

The characters are great even though the credibility of their personalities does wane at times. Jesse (Aaron Paul) is very, very nice to look at, Gus is outstanding (that "smile" is fantastic), the guy in the wheelchair with the bell - some really memorable stuff.

No spoilers about Season 5 please if you have seen it... what's your take?

Season 3 was pants like you say, I nearly gave up. Season 4 was brilliant,5 good too. Season 5 stops at episode 8 - the remaining are released in July I believe. Very well written show overall and the characters are brilliant with really good acting I would say.

I wouldn't say Jesse is a good looking lad? (I am male but touch with my feminine side).

I totally agree about Lost, the first episode was brilliant.. but soon dropped off. Same with Heroes. I think they all go the same way, because the producers want to bleed it more and more.

I like Breaking bad, the first episode was very good and got me hooked.

DTmark: you would probably like Sopranos very much too. For some reason not everyone in the UK have watched it (it was on telly in Sweden). As was Lost and 24 of course.

You would like House of Cards too - only available on Netflix though.

Breaking Bad is a great show.

Some other shows to check out are:

- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

- Dexter

- Archer

- Todd Margaret

- A Game of Thrones

- Louis

- The Walking Dead

Good list.

Californication - best viewed with men only or on your own as a male as females should not reach into the male psyche too much. Or maybe it was just me that laughed hysterically on so many...many occassions. I wouldn't want to explain why.

None of the top series are British any more! :blink:

I borrowed the seasons 1-4 box set and sat through it over the Winter Solstice festival. It has a stunning first episode and contains lots of shocks and black humour in the first couple of series, then seemed to get a little bit soap-opera-ish for the remainder. I was amused to find the son's cancer appeal web site actually existed. I'll watch season five when it's cheap and convenient but season 4 ended with a natural conclusion.

Working my way through "Fringe" at the moment - sixty-odd hours of x-files-meets-4400-with-added-gore-and-bondage. I'm a simple soul.

I wouldn't say Jesse is a good looking lad? (I am male but touch with my feminine side).

He's got a really deep voice.

Yo b1tch.

They get into some tense situations and scrapes, but overall there's nothing satisfying about the what they're involved in doing. The rewards may have helped Walt meet his financial commitments, given him a new lease of life, but it also changed him for the the worse.

Favourite bit was the

play by Jesse and Saul, forcing his HPI dreaming parents to accept their lowball offer re the Aunt's house.

Gave up after episode 2. Overrated.

Yeah, I've ploughed on with it but it's really not grabbed and I can kind of take it or leave it. The acting might be great but it doesn't really entertain. Bet it's inspired quite a few cellar or loft cannabis farm operations in this country.

Things I've liked are Californication up to the last couple of seasons, the Tim Minchin ones and the season prior to that. Game of Thrones has been good so far, sort of movie level quality. I also quite liked The Sarah Connor Chronicles even though it would seem a bit cheesy.

Stuff people have raved it's a must watch, I haven't rated would be The Sopranos and The Wire.

He's got a really deep voice.

Yo b1tch.

I thought that. He's only little - or he looks really short anyway.

I wonder how long he had to practice to perfect that "stunned" look he was always giving Walter in the first couple of seasons - priceless. And the fact that since Walt was his teacher, he continues to call him "Mr. White" all the way through the series. And the way he added the word "bitch" as an afterthought at the end of most sentences before he "hardened up" - very funny.

Just seen the season 4 finale - one of the best episodes, more little touches like the way the bomb sticks to the lift door "You brought a bomb into a hospital?", we were laughing out loud at it.

And without spoiling it for anyone, Gus's final appearance in the episode is quite a moment - I love the way he straightens his tie after walking out of the room.

The "cashpoint moment" in season 3 (?) with the two meth-heads was something to see. Hank singing "the eye of the tiger is the king of the fight la la la" not knowing the next line, even Marie is quite funny sometimes. And... "better call Saul" :)

Favourite bit was the

play by Jesse and Saul, forcing his HPI dreaming parents to accept their lowball offer re the Aunt's house.

Yes, what was it they wanted, something like $879,000 for it - looks like a nice neighbourhood and all, but...

The acting in this is outstanding. As one reviewer put it "don't want to use the cliche but the chemistry between Walt and Jesse is what makes it". And Skyler actually looks quite a bit like my brother's ex-girlfriend so that amuses too.

I'm sure we'll start on season 5 later this week, the first 8 episodes are on Netflix.

And thanks for the tips on the others, The Sopranos is so highly recommended I think we might try that next; I did watch the first episode of Dexter and it looked interesting but didn't go back, so I might do so and see how we get on with that.

If anyone is thinking of trying this series - as long as you don't have a problem with the morals of it all (Skyler, to a point in the series, is the only one who behaves with any integrity, yet she's the one who gets castigated all the time, though that changes) - it's really very, very funny in places, well-acted, well scripted, actually, mostly believable and a lesson in how one lie begets another and another.

I've watched all of Breaking Bad and thought it was superb. It's not often scenes from a TV show leave a lasting imprint on my memory but there are several scenes in BB that are unforgettable. The acting is wonderful and has rightly won awards, and the script is very sharp. Some say it's too slow, but (apart from The Fly episode) I really enjoyed the character developments and this is what makes it stand out. The character changes in Walt and Jessie complement each other and the dark descent into the seedy immoral world of 'ice' making makes compulsive viewing. Loved Tuco, what a nutjob!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbaxVeteRE

I've watched all of Breaking Bad and thought it was superb. It's not often scenes from a TV show leave a lasting imprint on my memory but there are several scenes in BB that are unforgettable. The acting is wonderful and has rightly won awards, and the script is very sharp. Some say it's too slow, but (apart from The Fly episode) I really enjoyed the character developments and this is what makes it stand out. The character changes in Walt and Jessie complement each other and the dark descent into the seedy immoral world of 'ice' making makes compulsive viewing. Loved Tuco, what a nutjob!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbaxVeteRE

SPOILER DON'T READ.

That Fly episode did my head in. Was that showing he is cracking under pressure and/or cancer had spread to his brain (which Jesse was alluding to in his story about his grand mother=? Really annoying either way.

It just felt bizarre. Then again I've never been a meth dealer so I wouldn't know what it's like.

SPOILER DON'T READ.

That Fly episode did my head in. Was that showing he is cracking under pressure and/or cancer had spread to his brain (which Jesse was alluding to in his story about his grand mother=? Really annoying either way.

It just felt bizarre. Then again I've never been a meth dealer so I wouldn't know what it's like.

I thought it was just a filler episode, there were about three episodes (season 3 again?) which were largely pointless.

"I know meth-heads" - here, Jesse and the brilliant Mike are survelling a house and need to get inside. Jesse had just been turned away at the door moments earlier, so he hatches a plan..

It's very darkly funny, so it won't appeal to everyone, but hits the spot with me.

If you have seen it, a YouTube search for "Breaking Bad Gag Reel" is worthwhile.

Leave it at 4.

Just finished the 8 episodes of Season 5 on Netflix.

You're correct.

Actually, there's nothing especially wrong with season 5 but it doesn't really add anything.

I think the (final?) 8 episodes of the series are due for release in June or thereabouts. Some quite high expectations there.

Did Walt poison the child? Where did the ricin go? Who actually shot the other chemist?

Without dropping any more spoilers, the moment where Skyler goes to see Ted in hospital in season 4, says "Hey Ted" and the camera cuts across to the sight of him in the bed is one of the funniest moments of the lot.

I've actually really got quite into this, and surprised myself.

Good list.

Californication - best viewed with men only or on your own as a male as females should not reach into the male psyche too much. Or maybe it was just me that laughed hysterically on so many...many occassions. I wouldn't want to explain why.

I checked it out after reading your post. On to episode 11 now and I really like it. Cheers ;)

I checked it out after reading your post. On to episode 11 now and I really like it. Cheers ;)

It sort of builds up to the Lew Ashby season and one where he gets a job teaching probably being the peak of it after having got into its stride and kinda tails off after that.

Just finished the 8 episodes of Season 5 on Netflix.

You're correct.

Actually, there's nothing especially wrong with season 5 but it doesn't really add anything.

I think the (final?) 8 episodes of the series are due for release in June or thereabouts. Some quite high expectations there.

Did Walt poison the child? Where did the ricin go? Who actually shot the other chemist?

Without dropping any more spoilers, the moment where Skyler goes to see Ted in hospital in season 4, says "Hey Ted" and the camera cuts across to the sight of him in the bed is one of the funniest moments of the lot.

I've actually really got quite into this, and surprised myself.

Think it was a mistake killing Mike off. Got a feeling that if it keeps going the storyline might have Walt using the drug money to buy into the company he was originally involved in that hit the big time after he'd left.