House Price Crash Forum
DoctorFoster

Looking At House Options In West/south-West London

Hi everyone

Sorry for the newbie question but would appreciate the collective wisdom here.

We've been renting in London for a couple of years now and reckon it's time to buy a house instead (as a survivor of the Irish property apocalypse I don't say that lightly). Up to now we've been in Maida Vale but we're looking for something (1000ft + 2 bed + garden/yard-space) around the 550k mark so that area's off the table.

We both work in central London and comfortable enough living in 'gentrifying' areas :)

West or South-West is ideal but also quite comfortable with North/North-East.

So far I've been looking around Streatham Hill/Herne Hill + Collier's Wood + Stoke Newington.

Would you recommend any other areas?

Thanks!

Hi everyone

Sorry for the newbie question but would appreciate the collective wisdom here.

We've been renting in London for a couple of years now and reckon it's time to buy a house instead (as a survivor of the Irish property apocalypse I don't say that lightly). Up to now we've been in Maida Vale but we're looking for something (1000ft + 2 bed + garden/yard-space) around the 550k mark so that area's off the table.

We both work in central London and comfortable enough living in 'gentrifying' areas :)

West or South-West is ideal but also quite comfortable with North/North-East.

So far I've been looking around Streatham Hill/Herne Hill + Collier's Wood + Stoke Newington.

Would you recommend any other areas?

Thanks!

Streatham and herne hill isn't west or south west... :blink:

Herne hill isn't bad though..

Streatham and herne hill isn't west or south west... :blink:

Herne hill isn't bad though..

Well, Streatham has an SW postcode at least!

I think that the OP should further explore the S/SE parts of London that he has been looking at so far, especially if happy living in less salubrious areas.

The W/SW parts of London offer very bad value in comparison - places like Richmond and Wimbledon are significantly more expensive than those mentioned and they are a lot further out as well.

Staines... a touch over half an hour into waterloo. 550 should get you a big 4 bedder with a river view or a large garden...

Staines... a touch over half an hour into waterloo. 550 should get you a big 4 bedder with a river view or a large garden...

This is the other option - moving a fair bit further out. The actual commute isn't always that painful, but it can be a bit difficult if you want to stay up in London later.

I am inbetween (zone 6). The commute is great (15 mins into Waterloo) and the house prices are cheaper than decent parts of central London, but if I want to go to a gig in Hammersmith or Brixton or the O2, or go for drinks somewhere that is not too central, getting home can be a bit of a pain as I am nowhere near a tube.

I usually end up getting a cab and I don't mind too much as it is only a couple of times a month max. Drinks around Soho, City etc are quite easy as the last train is at gone 1am, and I can often be home as quickly as friends/colleagues who live closer in.

It doesn't exactly give you that London feel, though, and the nice parts aren't that much cheaper than some of the areas you are looking at.

Thanks. Any thoughts on Greenwich?

Parts of it are lovely, but I don't think that £550k will stretch to a house in one of those parts. If you are prepared to look at garden flats it could be a nice option.

you say 2 bed but does it have to be a house, rather than a flat?

for 500 you could get some nice 2 bed garden flats in nice areas [e.g. Balham]. maybe some purpose built maisonette types with loft conversion potential.

There are pockets of Earlsfield 2 bed for 550k. Don't be put off by lack of tube. Not bad on the overland. I'm looking here myself having given up chasing Wandsworth Town? Imany ways Earslfield is nicer

I pass Earlsfield on the overland each morning and it looks a bit of a nightmare. Is it always easy to get on the first train that comes through at rush hour? It is certainly a quick journey, but that is not that useful if you have to wait a while to actually get on the train.

I commute in from Surbiton every morning, and even the slightest problem (one train cancelled) turns the service into chaos and Earlsfield looks a bit like that most days!

I do agree that there is an over-reliance on the tube and that a lot of areas get ignored for not being on it, but it is useful to have an alternative if SWT are not running, or if you are coming back from areas that are not directly accessible from Waterloo or Clapham Junction.

you say 2 bed but does it have to be a house, rather than a flat?

for 500 you could get some nice 2 bed garden flats in nice areas [e.g. Balham]. maybe some purpose built maisonette types with loft conversion potential.

Yes, there is a massive difference. In my area I can get a 900sqft flat with 2 beds, garden and garage for less than 70% of the cost of a 2 bed house of a similar size that will come without a garage or OSP. I am sure it is the same in areas further in.

I am not sure why the difference is so great given that the smaller houses are generally terraced so have two attached neigbours anyway. I could understand paying a premium for a detached house, but the only advantage that a terraced house has over some flats is a staircase.

Yes, there is a massive difference. In my area I can get a 900sqft flat with 2 beds, garden and garage for less than 70% of the cost of a 2 bed house of a similar size that will come without a garage or OSP. I am sure it is the same in areas further in.

I am not sure why the difference is so great given that the smaller houses are generally terraced so have two attached neigbours anyway. I could understand paying a premium for a detached house, but the only advantage that a terraced house has over some flats is a staircase.

And your own front door (not important to me as I have a flat!).

This is the other option - moving a fair bit further out. The actual commute isn't always that painful, but it can be a bit difficult if you want to stay up in London later.

I am inbetween (zone 6). The commute is great (15 mins into Waterloo) and the house prices are cheaper than decent parts of central London, but if I want to go to a gig in Hammersmith or Brixton or the O2, or go for drinks somewhere that is not too central, getting home can be a bit of a pain as I am nowhere near a tube.

I usually end up getting a cab and I don't mind too much as it is only a couple of times a month max. Drinks around Soho, City etc are quite easy as the last train is at gone 1am, and I can often be home as quickly as friends/colleagues who live closer in.

It doesn't exactly give you that London feel, though, and the nice parts aren't that much cheaper than some of the areas you are looking at.

Aye, I spent best part of a decade in Surbiton... much happier out in Staines. Life is so much more peaceful, for a couple of extra quid and 10 minutes on the train.

And your own front door (not important to me as I have a flat!).

It depends.

The flat that I was using as an example earlier is actually a maisonette which has it's own front door and a secluded area to store bins and leave deliveries that the vastly more expensive terraced houses of the same size also don't have.

Aye, I spent best part of a decade in Surbiton... much happier out in Staines. Life is so much more peaceful, for a couple of extra quid and 10 minutes on the train.

Different things suit different people. I rather think that even Surbiton is going to be too far out for the OP in this thread.

It depends.

The flat that I was using as an example earlier is actually a maisonette which has it's own front door and a secluded area to store bins and leave deliveries that the vastly more expensive terraced houses of the same size also don't have.

yeah, that type of thing is quite common in SW London - e.g. like this - you get two doors side by side, one for the 1st floor and one for the ground... each has a private garden at the back [the 1st floor one accessible by a staircase]

IMO first floor purpose built maisonettes are every bit as good as houses if not better.

• being on the first floor offers security, because you can leave any window open at any time [unlike the ground floor of a house or flat].

• unlike a GF flat you don't get noise coming through the floorboards [the only type of noise that's really a problem in flats is noise from the floor above - and it can be infuriating]

• unlike a GF chance you've often got a chance to easily make more room by extending into the loft.

• you've got your own private door & garden.

i suppose that you need to tackle stairs every time you go out of your front door [or back into the garden], so not *ideal* for the very elderly, but that's about it. maisonettes with their own doors typically have enough space at teh bottom of hte stairs to leave a puschair if needed.

Edited by the flying pig

Different things suit different people. I rather think that even Surbiton is going to be too far out for the OP in this thread.

Yeah, I did knightsbridge/south ken, earls court, camden and shepherds bush when I was younger. Surbiton I just got bogged down in for no especially good reason, but definitely appreciating how much more I get for the money in Staines, better QOL all round.

Have you considered Balham. It has national rail and the Northern Line. You should be able to get a 2 / 3 bed ex council or mews house for around £500k.

IMO first floor purpose built maisonettes are every bit as good as houses if not better.

• being on the first floor offers security, because you can leave any window open at any time [unlike the ground floor of a house or flat].

• unlike a GF flat you don't get noise coming through the floorboards [the only type of noise that's really a problem in flats is noise from the floor above - and it can be infuriating]

• unlike a GF chance you've often got a chance to easily make more room by extending into the loft.

• you've got your own private door & garden.

Definitely agree with those factors, although the one thing I do prefer about GF maisonettes is the direct garden access. With some of the first floor ones you have to come down the stairs, out of your front door and around a passageway to get into the back garden which is nowhere near as nice as being able to just throw the living room door open in the summer.

Yeah, I did knightsbridge/south ken, earls court, camden and shepherds bush when I was younger. Surbiton I just got bogged down in for no especially good reason, but definitely appreciating how much more I get for the money in Staines, better QOL all round.

Rich, I seriously think you need to get a role with Staines-upon-Thames Tourist Board! Your enthusiasm for the place is second to none.