House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Stock Cubes Poll - Cooking

Interested to know - I get away with mage cheap stock cubes and accommodate the saltiness by not adding any extra salt of my own

don't really understand the expense of posh stock cubes

but would like to know peoples' views

Interested to know - I get away with mage cheap stock cubes and accommodate the saltiness by not adding any extra salt of my own

don't really understand the expense of posh stock cubes

but would like to know peoples' views

I keep chicken bones,ham bones, etc, in the freezer, then get them out and use them and any veggies I've got hanging around to make stock when the need arises.:)

We use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder. No it's not made from old rubber gloves...

Good stuff and makes a passable instant cup-a-soup for when you really can't be bothered.

I keep chicken bones,ham bones, etc, in the freezer, then get them out and use them and any veggies I've got hanging around to make stock when the need arises.:)

Impressive! OTOH I use Touch of Taste most of the time. The chicken stock goes well with vegetables. Oh, and marmite for some vegetable soups.

I use Knorr cubes but also make my own from chicken carcasses, etc.

Yesterday had a lamb/pearl barley/veggie stew made with stock after simmering the lamb bone (half leg roast) but I added a cube as well. There was hardly any meat left on the bone (added towards the end) but you still get the flavour. I often use homemade + cubes.

You get a lovely stock from simmering a piece of gammon or bacon. Makes a delish pea and ham soup.

I use marigold stock bouillon.......I have found that the best cubes are the ones you can buy in the French supermarkets, I always find some of our branded cubes are laden with high quantities of salt....flavour is what you want, salt can always be added it can't be taken away. ;)

51Ztmv6Y66L._SL160_SL90_.jpg

I use marigold stock bouillon.......I have found that the best cubes are the ones you can buy in the French supermarkets, I always find some of our branded cubes are laden with high quantities of salt....flavour is what you want, salt can always be added it can't be taken away. ;)

51Ztmv6Y66L._SL160_SL90_.jpg

I use the same. Over in Poland, far too much of the stock cube and similar offerings contain E621 or monosodium glutamate. Marigold's the only one I know, apart from one other brand that I don't rate, that's sans E621 here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Strangely ironic that some TV ads have all singing and dancing tributes to "the traditional Polish taste" in some food product (typically a pot noodle or similar) and yet look at the sklad (ingredients) and you'll find E621 and lots of other additives.

If it has a face, I'll eat it.

Presumably you're partial to clock au vin then...

:)

Like the posh liquid ones, got one in the slower cooker now with some cheap beef and veg.

XYY

Cant stand stock cubes.

I once tried one of those supposedly poncy beef stock cubes and found it to be effectively overly-expensive gelatinous bovril in lots of wasteful packaging.

My mum used to save "beef dripping" for stews and stuff! We were "dead posh" at Castle Pin! ;)

Also use Oxo in spag bol as not impressed with the Knorr beef variety.

A really nice sauce for chicken can be cobbled together by adding a chicken stock cube to a white sauce with some dried tarragon.

Oxo. but did used to use Teasco cheapy ones but don't go there any more. Well hardly ever. And costco had a huge bucket of oxo cubes for not very much a while ago.

I'm told the girls in the kitchen use "Oxo".

I'm in my 40s and have never cooked anything ever. I really would like to learn one day.

I'm told the girls in the kitchen use "Oxo".

I'm in my 40s and have never cooked anything ever. I really would like to learn one day.

At your age, I was the same. Nowadays, when we are in France, I do all the cooking of live creatures. Lobsters, mussels etc, no stock cubes but plenty of vin blanc.

This is something that I completely don't understand about British supermarkets. Why don't they sell tinned chicken broth? In America, this is a staple, either Swansons or own-label brands which are in every store. You can buy a tin or tetrapak container for well under a dollar, and while it's not the same as home made broth, it's a least a pretty good substitute. In the UK, any stock in the supermarket is at least 5x the price. It's far, far cheaper to just buy a chicken, use the meat in something, and then simmer the carcass for broth. For the same price, you get the broth, plus all the meat. I generally find that water tastes better than reconstituted stock cubes, so if I don't make my own stock, I go without (or use wine).

Same here. Right next to the jars of goose fat :) I think it's pretty easy to make stock - bones, an onion, stick of celery and a leek, some peppercorns and whatever veg scraps you're using for the dinner(s).

I've got Knorr/Oxo and TOT (liquid) as backups though if I happen to run out (which I don't seem to). I notice that they all have some nasty MSG added (though I've also got a bag of that as well, can't have the Chinese food not tasting 'authentic'!)

interesting conversation - a few observations:

(1) tesco market value cheapie stock cubes have NO MSG in them (I have several flavours in my cupboard), plenty of salt but I can accommodate that, knorr ones also seem not to, and OXO DO have MSG.

(2) I have used thai fish sauce for a handy fish stock - not sure if this is as good as real fresh fish stock, but would like other peoples' opinions (?)