House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowflux

Iain (M) Banks

Having been cut off from the news for a few days, I was really sad to hear about Iain Banks's cancer diagnosis earlier today. I've enjoyed reading just about every one of his novels, both regular fiction and science fiction over the past 20 years or so, and was hoping for many more to come. He's my favourite author, and "Feersum Endjinn" is probably my all-time favourite book.

Also, his political views have resonated very closely with my own. His atheism, love of technology, slightly belated environmentalism and his opposition to repressive regimes (South African apartheid, Saudi Arabian barbarism and Israeli oppression, among others) as well as his opposition to the lunacy of the Iraq war have pretty much mirrored my own feelings. The only point I might possibly disagree on is his Scottish nationalism, but then I'm English.

Why is it always the good that are doomed to die young? :(

Having been cut off from the news for a few days, I was really sad to hear about Iain Banks's cancer diagnosis earlier today. I've enjoyed reading just about every one of his novels, both regular fiction and science fiction over the past 20 years or so, and was hoping for many more to come. He's my favourite author, and "Feersum Endjinn" is probably my all-time favourite book.

Also, his political views have resonated very closely with my own. His atheism, love of technology, slightly belated environmentalism and his opposition to repressive regimes (South African apartheid, Saudi Arabian barbarism and Israeli oppression, among others) as well as his opposition to the lunacy of the Iraq war have pretty much mirrored my own feelings. The only point I might possibly disagree on is his Scottish nationalism, but then I'm English.

Why is it always the good that are doomed to die young? :(

Very sad news. Two of my favourite sf books are "Consider Phlebas" and "The Player of Games".

These things are not always certain so there is hope yet, I wish him luck.

I've spent countless hours lost in the universes he created... an incredible mix of optimisism (the Culture, Espedair Street) and black humor ("It was the day my grandmother exploded").

Sad news indeed. I've only read his sci-fi novels, it takes something of a creative genius to create a universe where everything is so advanced that it can pretty much do whatever it feels like and still be able to have exciting, interesting stories in it.

I've read most of his books. I liked the fact there was a lot of swearing in it. I always like that. I think there were some proper sex in some of them too? Also adds good value. Oh and lots of sci fi coolness. That wins.

I liked "Complicity".

Really draws the reader in to the complex issue of rights/wrongs/crimes/punishments.

He has written some fearful sh1te as well though, "Song of Stone" comes to mind.