House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Bad Weather Causes Worst Wheat Harvest In Decades

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-britain-running-out-of-wheat-as-cold-weather-crisis-hits-farmers-8562648.html

Even spuds under threat:

This means the next harvest has already been damaged. Nor is wheat the only crop crop affected. Potato plantings stood at just 4,000 hectares at the end of March, barely a 10th of the 30,000 hectare area that had been planted this time last year, implying a jump in potato imports next crop year. After the coldest March in half a century, Britain is on course to import about 1.5m tonnes more of the grain than it exports this “crop year”,

Farmers do moan a lot. They moan about low prices in good years (when they have lots to sell) and moan about poor harvests in bad years (when they're selling at high prices). I don't know many poor farmers, though.

On a personal level, I was hoping for a better year than last year from my veg patch. However, it's still barren and unplanted so I'm not holding out much hope. And if a drought and hot summer kicks in, I'm expecting very little. OTOH, I'm told that the cold weather recently will be good for the fruit trees.

On a personal level, I was hoping for a better year than last year from my veg patch. However, it's still barren and unplanted so I'm not holding out much hope. And if a drought and hot summer kicks in, I'm expecting very little. OTOH, I'm told that the cold weather recently will be good for the fruit trees.

Last year, most people I know with a patch ended up replanting stuff later in the year after their first efforts rotted away in the rain.

There's still time for home-growers to catch up.

I've taken to planting dwarf/ hardy varieties of as much as I can - dwarf broad beans, french beans and peas, second early spuds instead of main crop, gherkins instead of cucumbers, cherry instead of full sized toms, hardy 'Asian' greens like tatsoi and mizuna.

Nice and sunny today, lets hope it will be the start of better things to come......sowing vegetable seeds but brought them inside to germinate they like quite warm soil for this.....unfortunately unable to grow wheat for bread so might be worth buying a few packets of bread flour and plain flour now to make future loaves of bread with, works out both cheaper and tastier than shop brought stuff, and such good satisfying fun to make.

It is not just the crops we eat it is also the crops for the animals to eat, the grass has not been growing so more expensive food has to be provided.......I am sure it will all balance itself out in the end. ;)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-britain-running-out-of-wheat-as-cold-weather-crisis-hits-farmers-8562648.html

Even spuds under threat:

Farmers do moan a lot. They moan about low prices in good years (when they have lots to sell) and moan about poor harvests in bad years (when they're selling at high prices). I don't know many poor farmers, though.

Farmers always moan whatever the weather. As a farmers son who grew up watching the weather 3 times a day! :lol:

What I will say is have a look at the prices of wheat and milk since the 1970s and compare this with the prices of sprays, fertilisers and fuel and it's pretty scary! Yields may be up slightly over the past 30 years but not by a whole lot. This is going to be a very tough year for the farmers - my anecdotal being that my father did not plant any winter cereals for the first time ever (he's 67 and started on the farm when he was 14) and this is very common across the UK this year and cereal yields will be down considerably nationwide (I'll guess between 20% and 40% in 2013)

There's also going to be huge shortages of straw for bedding animals in the winter and the wet summer last year means huge shortages of silage and hay, meaning more bought in feeds and more costs -this is likely to depress beef and dairy herds much further. With milk still at 25p a litre :o I can see many more dairy farmers packing it in this year as it's simply not possible to make any money unless you have huge huge herds and were lucky enough to invest in large automated dairies years ago. We even packed it in when milking 160 which was by no means a small dairy herd.

Farmers are seen as being "rich" and with prime land now £8k to £10k and acre I guess this is a fair point. But many are tenant farmers with no assets, or have large and long intergenerational mortgages (my parents finish off paying a 90 year mortgage this year) with little cash flow.

I dated a farmer's daughter once and got to listen in on conversations amongst farmers - they were masters of the professional financial hardship whinge and using it to get money/grants/subsidies out of the government.

Yep. Whenever ive had the misfortune to bump into a farmer its always moan moan moan. Last moan was someone left a gate open on a footpath crossing his land one night, so obviously it must have been me. No evidence was provided for this assumption, (id never even used that footpath before) and various threats were made about calling the police on me.

To be fair, i dont think its all an act. Their suicide rate is one of the highest of any profession. They are genuinely miserable gits.

To be fair, i dont think its all an act. Their suicide rate is one of the highest of any profession. They are genuinely miserable gits.

Yes, it is a very lonely profession and very high suicide rates as a result.

There is also a huge difference between some farmer Giles in Suffolk worth millions and a tenant sheep farmer on the side of a Welsh or Scottish mountain.

Yep. Whenever ive had the misfortune to bump into a farmer its always moan moan moan. Last moan was someone left a gate open on a footpath crossing his land one night, so obviously it must have been me. No evidence was provided for this assumption, (id never even used that footpath before) and various threats were made about calling the police on me.

they are right to be miserable.

they are the true wealth creators....yet they arent all millyonaires.

they are right to be miserable.

they are the true wealth creators....yet they arent all millyonaires.

Couldnt do much without the engineering involved in producing tractors, harvesters. Or produce much without the chemists input in herbicides, pesticides.

They create something, they arent unique though.

You have to understand that all small things that happen can make big differences.....imagine trying to work around nature and the uncertainty it brings........all all right for people that only need to think about what clothes to wear and whether to take an umbrella out with them that day, knowing that whatever they do, they will get paid the same at the end of the month sickness or not. ;)

You have to understand that all small things that happen can make big differences.....imagine trying to work around nature and the uncertainty it brings........all all right for people that only need to think about what clothes to wear and whether to take an umbrella out with them that day, knowing that whatever they do, they will get paid the same at the end of the month sickness or not. ;)

Isnt that why they had things like MF global - so they can hedge and ensure income is fairly constant, regardless of conditions. (well, not in the case of MF global!)

Isnt that why they had things like MF global - so they can hedge and ensure income is fairly constant, regardless of conditions. (well, not in the case of MF global!)

Sure you can hedge some of the risk......but not all the risks, risk costs. ;)

When are these newspapers going to go bust, who is buying them lol.

Wheat scarcity lol, as soon as this scares the public mind they've probably got the GMO solution story ready to go. Its like a broken record the way these scumbags are trying to control us.

Let's all "panic buy" bread then? ;)

You should see the sacks of flour in my cellar.

I dated a farmer's daughter once and got to listen in on conversations amongst farmers - they were masters of the professional financial hardship whinge and using it to get money/grants/subsidies out of the government.

Yup. I went out with a farmers daughter for a while. As well as the obligatory LR Discovery every member of the family seemed to be able to afford a mid / top of the range VW or Audi. What was most amusing was the fact that these exclusively German cars were adorned with Buy British lamb, beef or pork stickers. An irony I pointed out on at least one occasion :D

Yup. I went out with a farmers daughter for a while. As well as the obligatory LR Discovery every member of the family seemed to be able to afford a mid / top of the range VW or Audi. What was most amusing was the fact that these exclusively German cars were adorned with Buy British lamb, beef or pork stickers. An irony I pointed out on at least one occasion :D

The ones that sell land or rent it out to tenant farmers can be very wealthy. SEW247 rightly points out that there are many that have to eke out a living on a very low income.

Of course those that rely on selling land can't do that forever. Can anyone give a concise explanation of EU farming subsidies? I googled this web site but it still isn't very clear. Looks as if there have been lots of ad hoc subsidies over the years. Intriguingly there is a payment of €4 (yes four Euros) for supplementary aid for Durum wheat.

Not to mention said farmers daughter is likely to be signing on by post because the nearest job centre is 50 miles away (or is that just a Scotland thing).

The ones that sell land or rent it out to tenant farmers can be very wealthy. SEW247 rightly points out that there are many that have to eke out a living on a very low income.

You are right there! If you are a tenant farmer you have to pay for the land too! There is still a farm near Huntingdon with "my name" on it! I looked it up on the Internet! Unfortunately Grandfather Pin was born to the wrong brother! Otherwise I would have a RangeRover, and be "considerably richer than yow"! :huh: