House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

"long Running Script" Error

Is a "long running script" error related to Flash? My browsers just keep choking, so much so that I have them running in Compatibility Mode mostly. If I don't, they keep crashing. I've updated Flash a few times, and no joy.

What can I do?

I assume this is an IE issue, could be the connection to the remote site. Is it happening with every site you visit or just some? All sorts of potential issues, your ISP, virus or just a slow PC. I'd suggest 1) check your line speed 2) run an anti-virus & malware scan. If these are OK, chances are problem is at the other end rather than you.

Sites with videos running tend to be a problem. JTV, Youtube etc all seize up.

No virus or malware, and this laptop is i7 quad core.

Is a "long running script" error related to Flash? My browsers just keep choking, so much so that I have them running in Compatibility Mode mostly. If I don't, they keep crashing. I've updated Flash a few times, and no joy.

What can I do?

1. tell us more about the circumstances.

2. ctrl+alt+del and check running processes and look for one with a load of CPU or memory use...is it something you recognise...what happens if you stop it.

a Long running script is a program....it could itself be locked in a loop and fails to complete execution...your anti virus may have allowed the script to start and noticed its infected, but possibly couldnt halt it, or DID halt it and failed to signal to the Application running it that it was externally halted.

So, more info please.

I've been getting something similar. I find that some sites seem to be doing something that uses up a huge amount of CPU time. For example, if I go to the Guardian website and open 10 tabs or so then I can end up with the whole machine becoming locked up for several minutes, and sometimes I get these "long running script" errors after a while. I've tried all sorts of things like changing the Flash version, blocking a lot of the Javascript on problematic sites, and so on, but with no success.

This is happening on Firefox on Linux Mint and started maybe a couple of months ago. Similar things happen on Chrome, so I'm suspecting that the Falsh plugin is responsible. I've done a lot of Googling but haven't come up with much that's helpful

What can I do?

That's an excellent question. Let me know if you find out...

Sites with videos running tend to be a problem. JTV, Youtube etc all seize up.

No virus or malware, and this laptop is i7 quad core.

With that spec laptop shouldn't be suffering poor performance. You need to isolate the problem. Is it the laptop or your line speed? Are others sharing your WiFi and killing your bandwidth? Does the laptop still hang if you use another broadband connection? Alternatively if another OK PC is slow sounds like your connection.

If the laptop is the issue, could be flash or silverlight. If you are running IE, try Google Chrome or FireFox - that will isolate IE.

Have you installed any other software or upgrades recently?

If it is not malware, can only be your connection or as Bloo Loo says something is grabbing CPU cycles or slowing down flash. Does it play DVD's OK?

I had a similar issue (Linux mint, Firefox) on the Independent website some months ago; then one day, it just disappeared. Since then I've only seen it happen once or twice on other sites. I had assumed it to be a Javascript problem on the particular site. Never had any problems playing flash.

1. tell us more about the circumstances.

2. ctrl+alt+del and check running processes and look for one with a load of CPU or memory use...is it something you recognise...what happens if you stop it.

a Long running script is a program....it could itself be locked in a loop and fails to complete execution...your anti virus may have allowed the script to start and noticed its infected, but possibly couldnt halt it, or DID halt it and failed to signal to the Application running it that it was externally halted.

I think we may have a winner.

When you mentioned anti-virus it brought back memories of Norton slowing my system down many years ago. I'm now using Avast.

I disabled script protection and sure enough, problem over.

So thanks for bring that issue up, and leading me to the answer. Ironically it's often the programs set up to help you that cause the problems.

I suppose the only question now is, was Avast at fault or the scripts it was monitoring. I think it was Avast because the sites are big enough probably be virus free? JTV and Youtube to name two.

Click start then type "msconfig" in the search box and hit enter.

Worth looking through all that crap in Startup every so often, amazing all the stuff that auto-starts and stuff in Services.

Most of the stuff auto starting from the factory install is crap.

This is usually a javascript program thats running and choking performance, the biggest offender is google analytics which a lot of websites (including HPC) use to track which pages each visitor is looking at. (If you view the page source and search for "analytics" you will see the references.)

Given that the Google tracking servers are logging practically every page view from every computer on the planet its amazing they aren't even slower than they are.

The easiest way to turn it off is to edit your hosts file and block the urls that host the tracking code completely - adding the following will get rid of the most popular tracking services and speed up your browsing immensely

# [Google Inc]

127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com #[Google Analytics]

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com

127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

127.0.0.1 service.urchin.com #[urchin Tracking Module]

# [Microsoft]

127.0.0.1 analytics.live.com

127.0.0.1 digg.analytics.live.com #[WebBug]

127.0.0.1 analytics.msn.com

127.0.0.1 bidclix.net

127.0.0.1 www.bidclix.net

127.0.0.1 collector.deepmetrix.com

127.0.0.1 www.deepmetrix.com

127.0.0.1 adsyndication.msn.com

127.0.0.1 log.newsvine.com #[WebBug]

127.0.0.1 atlasdmt.com #[Tracking.Cookie]

The stupid EU cookie law should have put some sensible controls on this nonesense, but it was so badly drafted that it's useless. Is there a button somewhere in HPC that lets you turn this crap off? No, so we have to resort to complicated hacks like the above.

This is usually a javascript program thats running and choking performance, the biggest offender is google analytics which a lot of websites (including HPC) use to track which pages each visitor is looking at. (If you view the page source and search for "analytics" you will see the references.)

Given that the Google tracking servers are logging practically every page view from every computer on the planet its amazing they aren't even slower than they are.

The easiest way to turn it off is to edit your hosts file and block the urls that host the tracking code completely - adding the following will get rid of the most popular tracking services and speed up your browsing immensely

# [Google Inc]

127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com #[Google Analytics]

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com

127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

127.0.0.1 service.urchin.com #[urchin Tracking Module]

# [Microsoft]

127.0.0.1 analytics.live.com

127.0.0.1 digg.analytics.live.com #[WebBug]

127.0.0.1 analytics.msn.com

127.0.0.1 bidclix.net

127.0.0.1 www.bidclix.net

127.0.0.1 collector.deepmetrix.com

127.0.0.1 www.deepmetrix.com

127.0.0.1 adsyndication.msn.com

127.0.0.1 log.newsvine.com #[WebBug]

127.0.0.1 atlasdmt.com #[Tracking.Cookie]

The stupid EU cookie law should have put some sensible controls on this nonesense, but it was so badly drafted that it's useless. Is there a button somewhere in HPC that lets you turn this crap off? No, so we have to resort to complicated hacks like the above.

adblock plus seems to block a lot of delaying type links.

dont know if it blocks these trackers though.

It's something in Flash that doesn't like browsers. I've got the same problem, the browsers crash about once a day. happens in Firefoc, IE and even Chrome at times. Adobe need to pull their finger out.

It's something in Flash that doesn't like browsers. I've got the same problem, the browsers crash about once a day. happens in Firefoc, IE and even Chrome at times. Adobe need to pull their finger out.

I thought flash was designed to work in a browser???

Id suspect the Antivirus halting a suspect script and not signalling the application....Ive not seen this error, but there is often a clue in the error message...for example...a warning from flash would most likely identify itself as such....

Maybe a check in the event log would reveal the source of the error.

Id suspect the Antivirus halting a suspect script and not signalling the application....Ive not seen this error, but there is often a clue in the error message...for example...a warning from flash would most likely identify itself as such....

Maybe a check in the event log would reveal the source of the error.

Good call - that would be my guess too as evidenced by the fact that shutting down the AV/malware program fixes it.

My next guess would have been that the machine has Java installed (as in the full version, e.g. one day you tried to access a site and it told you you needed Java installed) and there is some problem with that.

Java recently exposed its users to a massive security vulnerability [again] - I think that it is fixed now, if you do have that on your machine it's worth downloading the latest updated version and installing that regardless of this issue.