House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manuce

Confused Where To Live In / Around London On Low Budget To Buy

Hello,

Please bear with me as I will try to keep my story as short as possible

I work in central London (Picidally circus) and my budget is super low am looking to around properties £150k for 2bed (anything flat mostly), which leaves me with not too many choices and also throughs me out of London easily to look for properties in Zone 5 circle. Also being an immigrant I don't have fair idea about good postcodes and there are always mix /confusing reviews from people on the internet about /almost all areas in London.

My Inclination is towards WEST as East or SE is a big no no so far (from everyone I have discussed with). Although with that kind of budget I am able to find 2 bed properties in even zone 3 like Canning town and Eastham Ilford(zone5) etc etc.

I have lived in Feltham and quite like the fact that I was able to commute to central London with fast trains with in 20 or 25 mins(which is getting expansive day by day though). Schools,Surgery,High street and good hospital were very near.

I have a family now and would like to hear input from similar people about some area suggestions which can fall in my price range.Since I am on low budget so I am very flexable and open to listen to suggestions.

Here is what my outline which may help shorten the criteria for your suggestions.

1 The area should be considerably safer (family/kids point of view)

2 Even if its upcoming /potential area I would like to explore it.

3 Easy / Fast commute to central London

4 Decent schools around

5 Good transport link

Please suggest areas from

West ,NW, SW and N , (may be SE)

In west I am thinking about Hayes,Slough,West Drayton, Hounslow etc etc but again there are always mix reviews.

I totally understand that with that kind of budget I can't expect the world, that's why I mentioned that am open to listen to people who can identify potential upcoming areas as well.

I am just trying to work out something in the middle or reasonable out of this confusing and mind boggling experience.

Will be very very thankful for all the inputs.

Thankyou all !

Hello,

Please bear with me as I will try to keep my story as short as possible

I work in central London (Picidally circus) and my budget is super low am looking to around properties £150k for 2bed (anything flat mostly), which leaves me with not too many choices and also throughs me out of London easily to look for properties in Zone 5 circle. Also being an immigrant I don't have fair idea about good postcodes and there are always mix /confusing reviews from people on the internet about /almost all areas in London.

My Inclination is towards WEST as East or SE is a big no no so far (from everyone I have discussed with). Although with that kind of budget I am able to find 2 bed properties in even zone 3 like Canning town and Eastham Ilford(zone5) etc etc.

I have lived in Feltham and quite like the fact that I was able to commute to central London with fast trains with in 20 or 25 mins(which is getting expansive day by day though). Schools,Surgery,High street and good hospital were very near.

I have a family now and would like to hear input from similar people about some area suggestions which can fall in my price range.Since I am on low budget so I am very flexable and open to listen to suggestions.

Here is what my outline which may help shorten the criteria for your suggestions.

1 The area should be considerably safer (family/kids point of view)

2 Even if its upcoming /potential area I would like to explore it.

3 Easy / Fast commute to central London

4 Decent schools around

5 Good transport link

Please suggest areas from

West ,NW, SW and N , (may be SE)

In west I am thinking about Hayes,Slough,West Drayton, Hounslow etc etc but again there are always mix reviews.

I totally understand that with that kind of budget I can't expect the world, that's why I mentioned that am open to listen to people who can identify potential upcoming areas as well.

I am just trying to work out something in the middle or reasonable out of this confusing and mind boggling experience.

Will be very very thankful for all the inputs.

Thankyou all !

Go with where you know. I lived in a borough for six years before buying there because I knew where was a good deal.

Why exclude East London completely? I can think of worse places to live than Romford, Ilford or Redbridge for example

and in South London, Penge and Sydenham spring to mind as good places to raise a family. I know quite a few colleagues with "middle-class" families who live in those areas.

http://www.moove2london.co.uk/best-places-live-london-cheap-areas/

I'd be interested in Canning Town mostly because of its proximity to Central London which would be far more important to me than anything else. Plus hard to say that with Crossrail opening at Custom House that the area won't see some massive changes in years to come. Plus, I am a big fan of the DLR (as someone who hates public transport in general). However, with a family to take into account, your priorities would understandably be different.

Hello,

This was my earlier discussion about Canning town and this is what I got in reply /input from people.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=186458

Thanks for the current input guys I will try to explore these.

Thanks,

Manuce

Yes - sorry for my quotes about Canning town but it honestly doesn't fit your criteria. But dont rule out 'outer east London'

Why not try Redbridge or Havering as have been suggested - good schools (Redbridge still has 2 state grammars), fast commutes to town and soon to be on Crossrail and Tory run councils (which is usually a good sign of a nice area). You can get 2 bed houses close to Romford station for £200-£220k and the fastest trains can get you to the City in 15 mins.

Redbridge is a little more expensive but on the central line and overground (Crossrail come 2017) and has some of the best schools in London. Obviously the best bits - Wanstead, South Woodford - are more expensive but places like Barkingside and Newbury Park (ideally north of the A12) are decent enough.

In the end - why buy a flat in a crime ridden dump when you can get a house in a low crime area with some of the best schools in London!

With east London I'd say it depends on your attitudes to growing up in a diverse and often poor neighbourhood. Barking - certainly there used to be a bit of racial tension about the place, but that could have changed.

Canning town, I'd definitely give a miss.

East Ham I liked and felt safe enough. But there's no getting away from the fact that if you are white, you are in the minority. That said, we knew both of our neighbours and got on well with them.

Wansted might also be worth looking at - but I don't know if it's within your budget.

Recognise also that in east London there's a high turnover of communities. When I left, there was already a considerable influx of eastern Europeans. In 20 years time, it might look different again.

Whichever area you live, do consider renting for a while though. In parts of east London, prices have hardly moved in the last five years, some years they've even dipped, so you can't guarantee you'll get out without a loss if it doesn't go to plan.

With east London I'd say it depends on your attitudes to growing up in a diverse and often poor neighbourhood. Barking - certainly there used to be a bit of racial tension about the place, but that could have changed.

Canning town, I'd definitely give a miss.

East Ham I liked and felt safe enough. But there's no getting away from the fact that if you are white, you are in the minority. That said, we knew both of our neighbours and got on well with them.

Wansted might also be worth looking at - but I don't know if it's within your budget.

Recognise also that in east London there's a high turnover of communities. When I left, there was already a considerable influx of eastern Europeans. In 20 years time, it might look different again.

Whichever area you live, do consider renting for a while though. In parts of east London, prices have hardly moved in the last five years, some years they've even dipped, so you can't guarantee you'll get out without a loss if it doesn't go to plan.

Realistically there are a limited number of decent areas in east London where you can get 2 bed flats for only £150,000 - there are plenty on offer in Barking, Dagenham and the less attractive bits of Newham. Crossrail is coming to east London soon - so possibly somewhere on the route (at least in terms of keeping prices up) - might be an option. You have this development for example right next to Manor Park station (on Crossrail) - 2 bed flat with parking and concierge/lifts for £160k but also close to Wanstead flats with its green open spaces.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25742826.html

Sadly - no way could you get a 2 bed flat in Wanstead for £150k - £250k is more realistic!

In terms of diversity - well if you want all white British neighbours then I suggest London isn't somewhere you would want to live unless you can afford Richmond or Putney!

But whatever you do - avoid Canning Town!

Hey guys thanks for the valuable tips. As mentioned in my post I am immigrant (indian) and I think these areas in east suits me as suggested ,although this is good suggestion to stick to cross rail route so that it may save be ending up with negative equity.

MRMX9 thanks for sharing this link will give them call I quite like the position of this flat very well placed.

Canning town is a real ghetto, however there are signs that it is trying to better itself. I have seen big changes there since the olympics but it still has a terrible reputation for crime that has been in existence there for decades. There is however a building near the tube called 'The Sphere' which although on a main road with limited parking is relatively cheap, modern and is literally across the road from the station so you can avoid the gangsters by running to the tube haha! Canary wharf shopping centre is just down the road and good tube loinks in to town. Have a look.

Interestingly as an aside, it has some rather high rental yields if you do your research you will see what I mean...

Canning town is a real ghetto, however there are signs that it is trying to better itself. I have seen big changes there since the olympics but it still has a terrible reputation for crime that has been in existence there for decades. There is however a building near the tube called 'The Sphere' which although on a main road with limited parking is relatively cheap, modern and is literally across the road from the station so you can avoid the gangsters by running to the tube haha! Canary wharf shopping centre is just down the road and good tube loinks in to town. Have a look.

Interestingly as an aside, it has some rather high rental yields if you do your research you will see what I mean...

The trouble is that there's very often confusion between actual districts/wards/boroughs and tube stations, especially among newcomers in London i.e. tell a Shoreditch hipster that they live in Hackney and they'll throw a look at disgust at you as if you'd insulted them. In the same way, a lot of people living near Aldgate East station think that they don't live in Whitechapel because to them, that would mean living near Whitechapel station, yet Aldgate East is not at all in the ward of Aldgate (i.e. the City) and is very much in Whitechapel.

Canning Town station is to the West of Canning Town and is not representative of the whole area especially as you go towards Victoria Dock and Silvertown. It's definitely risky to go for Canning Town (unless you're going for the new developments) but with the huge regeneration project, it's hard not to see the potential there. However I know that if I were the original poster, I'd be wary of going for this area especially if I didn't really need/want to be central and had a family.

Just found this website looks like 90% of London is having such pockets so I don't really know where that heaven is really :)

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/

Well as they say the only people who can afford to live in London now are the incredibly rich and desperately poor!

Joking aside - lots of people in London are on benefits/unemployed and thats a particular curse for today's young people. And that can mean kids hanging around - most fine but a few up to no good. Will you escape it in a million pound property in SW1 - no look at the gang problems now in Pimlico.

You just need to find somewhere right for you. If you want somewhere suburban - but near the tube - where flats are in your price range why not try somewhere like Newbury Park/Barkingside. Its in Redbridge, has good schools, a large middle class Indian community and on the central line (25 mins to the City and early enough on the line to get a seat).

The area this 2 bed flat is in (Aldborough Hatch part of Newbury Park) is very nice/peaceful - close to farms/Fairlop waters but only a short walk from Newbury Park tube. £140k - and open for offers. A nice Miller and Carter pub/restaurant - good for family Sunday lunches - just a short walk away too.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24201510.html?premiumA=true

I can only advise on east London - but others may assist with west/south west. Do you want peace/quiet suburbia with good schools - or somewhere maybe a bit more edgier but with faster commuting links.

Good luck anyway.

Edited by MRMX9

Just found this website looks like 90% of London is having such pockets so I don't really know where that heaven is really :)

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/

Everywhere has those pockets, not just London. The rich commuter suburbs like Esher and Weybridge have their rough bits as do otherwise idyllic places in Devon & Cornwall.

Wherever you live, I doubt you will ever be more than a mile from someone undesirable, but it doesn't have to affect your life too much.

The key is to buy in an area where you are happy with the direct surroundings rather than looking at the area as a whole. I like where I live in Surbiton, but although my own area has a very nice feel about it, I know for a fact that there are some unpleasant estates less than a mile away from me, and that occasionally people from there will cause a bit of trouble in parts of the area I want to go to.

You will never get away from this, unless you can find some way of going back to the 1950s!

West is best

Lots of greenery, little traffic depending on area (Lower fuel costs)

Depending on where you live you can have easy access towards Heathrow / Gatwick / M25 / M1 / M40

central London. Little drama / crime robbery. M25 corridor so lots of central London (Banker ?) wealth

spreading its way throught out the M4 all the way down to reading & beyond

West is best

Lots of greenery, little traffic depending on area (Lower fuel costs)

Depending on where you live you can have easy access towards Heathrow / Gatwick / M25 / M1 / M40

central London. Little drama / crime robbery. M25 corridor so lots of central London (Banker ?) wealth

spreading its way throught out the M4 all the way down to reading & beyond

Please bear in mind the OP is looking for a 2 bed property for about £140,000.

Tried a search on rightmove for 2 bed properties within 3 miles of Hounslow for £140k or less - only 20.

Tried a similar search for 2 beds for £140k or less within 3 miles of Ilford - nearly 200!

I was born in London - yes west London is nice in parts (i.e. the very expensive ones) but the cheaper areas are just as good/bad as you will find in east London! And on the OPs budget there is just more option! Also given the OP is Indian he might want somewhere with a reasonably sized Indian community for social reasons.