House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trampa501

Hmv Saved?

Well, it worked in Canada, and I wish them all the best, but I just can't see this working out.

HMV sold to Hilco

The Canadian stores have a lot of stuff that isn't CDs or DVDs in them - I get the impression that most of the sales don't come from selling media. I guess they'll be doing the same thing in the UK.

This may be a very ignorant question, but if Hilco bought HMV's debt a while back for a reported £50m, how much will Hilco have paid to buy HMV itself now? A notional sum of £1?

The Canadian stores have a lot of stuff that isn't CDs or DVDs in them

Not around here. I generally take a look at the cheap sale stuff when I pass by the local HMV, but most of the rest is significantly cheaper from Amazon.

Not around here. I generally take a look at the cheap sale stuff when I pass by the local HMV, but most of the rest is significantly cheaper from Amazon.

Interesting - the Toronto stores are probably 50% of stuff that isn't DVDs or CDs. I would assume Amazon is cheaper across the board but I haven't checked since the only thing I buy there is the odd music magazine or two.

Why? Outdated model for a storefront selling near obsolete media.

Who actually owns a CD or DVD player any more?

Pretty much everybody, I think!

Why? Outdated model for a storefront selling near obsolete media.

Who actually owns a CD or DVD player any more?

I own both and I still buy all my media this way for two reasons.

1> music is generally at a higher bit rate than a download.

2> no questions over ownership, I can pass my bad taste in music down to my children as they've got the CDs and not my iTunes account login (which I take to the grave)

I own both and I still buy all my media this way for two reasons.

1> music is generally at a higher bit rate than a download.

2> no questions over ownership, I can pass my bad taste in music down to my children as they've got the CDs and not my iTunes account login (which I take to the grave)

Absolutely agree. And for movies, I don't have to supply vast amounts of storage and bandwidth at my own cost, and worry about backups - having a physical disc that I can lend to friends wins EVERY time and is cheaper. That's without mentioning all the best things about DVDs and Blu-Rays namely the commentaries and behind the scenes stuff.