House Price Crash Forum
Starla

New Foxtons Branch In Brixton

Always good to see Foxtons getting graffiti sprayed wall to ceiling across their windows with "Yuppies out!"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/class-war-breaking-out-in-brixton-over-opening-of-new-foxtons-estate-agent-8559284.html

"Class warfare" has broken out in Brixton over a new branch of Foxtons opening in the area.

The estate agent opened on Brixton Road last month, causing some residents to complain of “gentrification”.

But now protests have taken a more extreme turn after abusive graffiti started appearing on the shop.

Last week employees were shocked to find the words “yuppies out!” painted in capital letters across the floor-to-ceiling window.

It comes after someone scrawled “yuck” across the glass the week before.

Residents today appeared to be divided on the issue with some saying Foxtons’s arrival is good for the area while others complain that established residents are being priced out.

It comes amid an on-going debate over the gentrification of Brixton, which has seen house prices and rental values soar as Brixton Village and other improvements have led to a new wave of people being attracted to the area"

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I heard this on LBC on the drive home. A couple of long term residents were interviewed. One, a market trader, said it was bringing moere money into the area, the only problem with that was none of the new people arriving were spending money in the market, they shop in Waitrose instead. Another said, on the plus side, that nicer people were arriving and the crime rate was dropping.

So is Brixton making an attempt at gentrifcation? Is this another part of London that is going to become unaffordable for average working Londoners? With Foxtons moving in, and their pricing, I'd expect to see an 100% increase by the end of the year. Please no!

Brixton is fairly posh now compared the when I were a lad! Black people must have been racists back then! :huh:

I don't think article from 2 weeks ago got a mention . (possibly 'cos it's 'ollocks)

Buoyant Foxtons in talks to go public

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ab53b9aa-9177-11e2-b839-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2PR72yghg

BC partners discussed a possible flotation with banks, people with knowledge of the situation said.

Edit:

Then 2 days later we get .. :rolleyes:

Foxtons move suggests recovery in housing

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d55e7906-92fd-11e2-b3be-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2PR72yghg

suggests investors are again prepared to bet on the nation’s obsession with buying and selling homes.
Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Exactly. 'Brixton Village' :lol:

Remember the riots. My Mum almost drove right into it at the time. She had to turn round when she saw a burning barricade of cars.

Wiki has a 'disambiguation' page for 'Brixton riots' ;)

Yes I do! A friend on mine livedin Railton Road, circa 1981! He didn't notice it until he saw TV! :huh:

Brixton is fairly posh now compared the when I were a lad! Black people must have been racists back then! :huh:

I lived in a squat in Brixton during my anarchic teenage phase. I can testify that I was often given racial abuse by black people by simply walking down road/minding my own business, Took it in my stride as I'm sure it wasn't a big deal compared to some of the serious amounts cr*p they'd had to put up with in reverse.

Always good to see Foxtons getting graffiti sprayed wall to ceiling across their windows with "Yuppies out!"

http://www.standard....nt-8559284.html

"Class warfare" has broken out in Brixton over a new branch of Foxtons opening in the area.

The estate agent opened on Brixton Road last month, causing some residents to complain of "gentrification".

But now protests have taken a more extreme turn after abusive graffiti started appearing on the shop.

Last week employees were shocked to find the words "yuppies out!" painted in capital letters across the floor-to-ceiling window.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

I heard this on LBC on the drive home. A couple of long term residents were interviewed. One, a market trader, said it was bringing moere money into the area, the only problem with that was none of the new people arriving were spending money in the market, they shop in Waitrose instead. Another said, on the plus side, that nicer people were arriving and the crime rate was dropping.

So is Brixton making an attempt at gentrifcation? Is this another part of London that is going to become unaffordable for average working Londoners? With Foxtons moving in, and their pricing, I'd expect to see an 100% increase by the end of the year. Please no!

So if the richer they are the nicer they are - why is this country in the state it's in ?

(the poor didn't do it, most dont even vote either)

Morality and decency starts at the top - Stop Foxing the cattle classes

Brixton's improved a lot from even 5 years ago. I was going to the bug bar 10 years ago, and it was clearly gangster-run back then. A friend lived there and she got mugged a few times.

Bear in mind the 1981 Brixton riots were 32 years ago!

There are very "Hugo and Jemima" trustafarian type cafes on Railton road now, with retro decor and shit. Could be a new Notting Hill.

Still, I'd hardly say it was posh - yet. We plan to buy there once the kids are in secondary school.

We plan to buy there once the kids are in secondary school.

Not sure i'd want to move there at precisely that point in my life.

I go there only occasionally for gigs at the Academy. Like the place but a little too many people hanging around openly selling drugs for me to want to move there with teenage children.

Though hopefully by the time i have teenage children the drug war will be over and you can get dope in Boots.

Exactly. 'Brixton Village' :lol:

Remember the riots. My Mum almost drove right into it at the time. She had to turn round when she saw a burning barricade of cars.

Ha, I _did_ drive right into the middle of it! I was driving back from a gig (I lived in Surrey at the time) and wasn't really looking where I was going (I was also half deaf from the noise of the band) and suddenly realised there were people throwing bricks and stuff all around me. Luckily they ignored me and I managed to turn off down a side road and escape the mayhem. It was a nasty shock though.

edit: sorry, wrong Brixton riots! It was the poll tax ones I drove into.

Edited by TheBlueCat

Brixton is changing and going up. I'd say the 'new' Brixton areas are like Morden and Merton who are receiving the people displaced who can no longer afford 'Brixton Village'

A SPECULATORS MOMENT; U COULD BUY HOUSES VERY CHEAPLY AFTER THAT RIOT.

That was before we had the stability of an independent Bank of England, ready to inject unlimited cash at the first sign of assets becoming distressed.

Brixton has been fairly fashionable unaffordable for some time - the objectors to foxtons are just as likely to be a load of bottom-end trustifarians who think it makes them look less edgy...

Brixton is changing and going up. I'd say the 'new' Brixton areas are like Morden and Merton who are receiving the people displaced who can no longer afford 'Brixton Village'

Brixton Village refers to an old bit of the market which has been 'regenerated' with new restaurants and cafes, not Brixton itself.

Brixton Village refers to an old bit of the market which has been 'regenerated' with new restaurants and cafes, not Brixton itself.

Don't you mean Granville Arcade? 'Brixton Village' term has long expanded to the outreaching area around the market

Edited by mk1mini

Don't you mean Granville Arcade?

Yes it used to be Granville Arcade, but I think the owners officially renamed it Brixton Village when they rebooted it as a restaurant area in the last couple of years. Streetview

Edited by Dorkins