House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

Southwark Seizes 300 Council Homes

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/southwark-seizes-300-council-homes-from-cheating-tenants-8558101.html

More than 300 council homes that were illegally sublet or occupied by fraudsters have been seized back in a new campaign against cheating tenants in a London borough.

Southwark council says it has discovered widespread abuse by tenants who are breaking the law by secretly moving elsewhere so they can make money from renting out their local authority home.

Nationalities are not mentioned so I do hope its not another example of our "multicultural success story."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/southwark-seizes-300-council-homes-from-cheating-tenants-8558101.html

Nationalities are not mentioned so I do hope its not another example of our "multicultural success story."

About time too - every council should be cracking down really hard on council house fraud.

Can't help wondering about that bloke on TV not so long ago - letting his central London council flat for a whopping amount - and yet he owned another just across the landing. He was a policeman, too - it was utterly blatant.

But he was just one of several on that programme who were up to every dodge in the book.

Edited by Mrs Bear

About time too - every council should be cracking down really hard on council house fraud.

Can't help wondering about that bloke on TV not so long ago - letting his central London council flat for a whopping amount - and yet he owned another just across the landing. He was a policeman, too - it was utterly blatant.

But he was just one of several on that programme who were up to every dodge in the book.

100% agreed. This has been going on for years.

The only person I ever knew doing this con was totally indigenous, sorry to disappoint your reactionary fantasies.

Interesting that Southwark Council has just "discovered" that this is going on. I wonder if lots of other councils will also "discover" it now that they are having their central funding cut.

Y

The only person I ever knew doing this con was totally indigenous, sorry to disappoint your reactionary fantasies.

As it Southwark and there are 300 I would think that it is very possible that some are immigrants.

Whether there will be more than there should be we will probably never be told.

It isn't so recent to be fair to them:

"The latest purge on fraudulent tenancies follows a campaign that led to 191 properties being recovered in 2011/12 from people who were either subletting or had obtained their homes through deceit."

Quite a few have been taken back not because of sub-letting, but because they were fraudulently obtained.

"...the investigation of documents to check their validity, and data-matching with other private and public sector organisations."

Shouldn't they do this at the time of application? Why wait months / years?

"Those prosecuted include a woman who used a fake birth certificate and other forged documents to pose as a homeless mother and gain a council home. She was jailed for six months after pleading guilty to four counts of fraud."

I expect it's widespread in big cities where the council depts get over-whelmed.

This has been going on for years. I think you will find some of the sub-letters are working for the council.

There is a market in sub-let social housing in Peterborugh, so I'm pretty sure you will find this in every city.

The people doing it don't see they are doing anything wrong since they see their lords and masters doing dodgy housing deals all the time. MPs renting houses to each other so they can claim expenses - the animals looked from man to pig and from pig to man and they could see no difference.

I'm sure this is widespread not just renting rooms but whole places, seen it many times.

Oh yeah but all these people have suddenly changed now, all out looking for work, only temporary living off state.

Its interesting living through a labour dictatorship then a torylibdem, you can see how the msm works to get the people riled up and not look at the real issues.

Edited by scrappycocco

Southwark Council has long been corrupt and undertaking exploitative, perverted policies.

In the 1990s Southwark Housing Department was highly corrupt, being staffed by a clique of Nigerians who were giving flats to their mates. However, this is nothing new in the rotten borough of Southwark back in the 1970s councilors and officials got first pickings of the new GLC council estate in Southwark on the Bankisde of the Thames.

I take it from that, the fact you have never set foot in the London Borough of Southwark?

There is another known scam going on around NW London boroughs where families (usually of sub content extraction) pretend or (actually do) to rent each others homes out. Proper tenant agreements are drawn up and housing benefit claimed on them. Difficult for the councils fraud dept to check up on it given the confusion over the names on the LR and the fact they mostly clam up and or feign communication problems.

Often the councils cannot prove anything and leave them to get on with it in fear of the race card being played.

The fraud here gets larger every year as more people cotton on how easy it is to get away with it. I suspect at some point it will become so big the council will have to act.

Nice little earner which gets your mortgage paid by the taxpayer.

Link

THREE brothers who scammed benefits from a trio of London boroughs were handed suspended jail sentences last week and ordered to fork out £55,000 in costs.

Between them Reggie, Olga and Jessie Gnanaratnam were charged with 10 counts of obtaining property by deception after illegally claiming £53,604 in benefits for seven years.

The siblings were colluding together to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit from Harrow, Brent and Ealing councils despite owning a number of properties between them.

Edited by geezer466

Southwark Council has long been corrupt and undertaking exploitative, perverted policies.

In the 1990s Southwark Housing Department was highly corrupt, being staffed by a clique of Nigerians who were giving flats to their mates. However, this is nothing new in the rotten borough of Southwark back in the 1970s councilors and officials got first pickings of the new GLC council estate in Southwark on the Bankisde of the Thames.

During the 1990's I was told that council housing staff in Lambeth were deleting flats off the database and renting the "invisible" flat out as landlords, don't know how true this is but Lambeth had an appalling reputation at the time. Rumours of an African mafia within the council were rife.

During the 1990's I was told that council housing staff in Lambeth were deleting flats off the database and renting the "invisible" flat out as landlords, don't know how true this is but Lambeth had an appalling reputation at the time. Rumours of an African mafia within the council were rife.

My friend works as a benefit liason officer in SE London. He has told me often about the dodgy and fraudulent behaviour by Nigerians working in council housing departments. Given that areas where Nigerian immigration has been highest now have the highest levels of fraud not only in London and the UK but the whole of western Europe, according to BBC panorama and Radio 4 investigations, and fraud detection groups (so pretty creditable sources) it is not a surprise.

Dear HPC forum member,

I write with great regret that Mr Harold Jones has sadly passed away in Pretoria. Through our extensive research, we have discovered that you are the last surviving relative.

As legal managers of Mr Harold's estate, we have been seeking the suitable individual to transfer the sum of GBP18000000 to his last surviving relative.

Please transfer the initial administration sum of GBP839 to A/C number....Also please attach details of your bank such that we can facilitate immediate transfer to your account.

Mr Friday Pepple

Attorney

Pepple, Sunday and Honour Solicitors

Pretoria

Dear HPC forum member,

I write with great regret that Mr Harold Jones has sadly passed away in Pretoria. Through our extensive research, we have discovered that you are the last surviving relative.

As legal managers of Mr Harold's estate, we have been seeking the suitable individual to transfer the sum of GBP18000000 to his last surviving relative.

Please transfer the initial administration sum of GBP839 to A/C number....Also please attach details of your bank such that we can facilitate immediate transfer to your account.

Mr Friday Pepple

Attorney

Pepple, Sunday and Honour Solicitors

Pretoria

Dear Friday

I don't trust banks much these days. Meet me in my local with the cash in a suitcase on Friday night. There'll be a pint in for you for your trouble.

HPC member.

Last year I shared with a flatmate who'd been sub-letting a house in Fulham up until 2011. He'd gone undetected by the council for 18 years. Imagine a landlord who checked on a property once every couple of decades.

My friend works as a benefit liason officer in SE London. He has told me often about the dodgy and fraudulent behaviour by Nigerians working in council housing departments. Given that areas where Nigerian immigration has been highest now have the highest levels of fraud not only in London and the UK but the whole of western Europe, according to BBC panorama and Radio 4 investigations, and fraud detection groups (so pretty creditable sources) it is not a surprise.

Company I work for (high street banking) has had 4 incidents of internal fraud over the past decade, 2 involved Nigerians, one Polish, one British. The workforce is at least 90% British, draw your own conclusions!

Company I work for (high street banking) has had 4 incidents of internal fraud over the past decade, 2 involved Nigerians, one Polish, one British. The workforce is at least 90% British, draw your own conclusions!

I think the problem is people here have a normalcy bias towards peoples behaviour. They seem to think because the UK is generally safe, people generally follow the rules and behave in a legal manner, its the same elsewhere. The unfortunate reality is 90% of the world is very much lawless dog-eat-dog. Inevitably when proper border controls were dumped in 1997, a lot of bad people got in.

I think the problem is people here have a normalcy bias towards peoples behaviour. They seem to think because the UK is generally safe, people generally follow the rules and behave in a legal manner, its the same elsewhere. The unfortunate reality is 90% of the world is very much lawless dog-eat-dog. Inevitably when proper border controls were dumped in 1997, a lot of bad people got in.

Unfortunately you are correct.

We have allowed people in from failed countries and third world corruption is now becoming ingrained here.

Hmm, maybe a corrupt system was opened up to new entrants. Still the same quality of corruption.

Can't really argue with that. Unfortunately Nigeria is ridden with corruption and fraud - possibly the worst in the world. To think many that have arrived from there would not engage in such practices was very optimistic. It is now one of the top regions for immigration to the UK outside the EU, and with it has come very high levels of fraud. In some areas of London with a substantial Nigerian population 1 in 3 credit card transactions were fraudulent, to give one example. The BBC have covered it in the past -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8193884.stm