House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Parking Fees To Rise 17%

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-parking-fees-to-rise-17-1-5551954

PARKING to shop in Sheffield city centre could cost drivers up to £16 - as motorists face ‘ridiculous’ fee hikes in coming weeks.

On-street parking charges are soaring by 17 per cent, from £1.70 to £2 per hour, to help Sheffield Council raise extra income and offset the impact of £50 million Government cuts.

And, although the current one-hour waiting limit is being removed, fees for longer stays in the city centre will be £4 for two hours, £8 for four hours and £16 for eight hours.

Motorists and shopkeepers all today warned the fees will drive visitors away from city centre shops.

Sheffield Council once more offering conclusive proof they aren't total utter fecking morons.... :rolleyes:

And I bet they actually think this will help to make up the shortfall of govt funding. I mean the maths will all add up.

They should levy car parking charges on out-of-town shopping centres. :-)

That should be up to the shops whose land you're parking on.

A good 'nudge' from government could be to charge the same business rates (or land tax) for all concreted land as for the actual shop building itself.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-parking-fees-to-rise-17-1-5551954

Sheffield Council once more offering conclusive proof they aren't total utter fecking morons.... :rolleyes:

And I bet they actually think this will help to make up the shortfall of govt funding. I mean the maths will all add up.

They are using other methods to bring in revenue after not being allowed to put up council tax.

They want their big salaries and pensions and they have to be funded ( by us ) somehow.

It's shameful really.

http://www.thestar.c...se-17-1-5551954

You are slipping IRRO.

BBC Look North reporting that Sheffield Council are charging "hard working home owners" £60 to take away garden refuse.

This is just another example of councils becoming something outside of their remit. We seriously need to reign in these servants who seem to think they are the masters, clip their powers once and for all to the basic functions of running local services FOR the residents and not as organisations with powers to fleece people with outrageous levies and fines, parking charges should never be more than is the minimum required to maintain the service it provides within line of average wage and inflation.

These people should not have the power to make ANY levies or fines or act in any way outside of providing local services without expressed consent of the people who pay their wages, particularly in cases where local economy is at risk. It's clear these people can't be trusted.

Massive wage cuts to average wage only for council management positions are also long over due, lets put these servants back in their place.

You are slipping IRRO.

BBC Look North reporting that Sheffield Council are charging "hard working home owners" £60 to take away garden refuse.

Our council's been charging for this for years.

You are slipping IRRO.

We finally have public service utopia where tax only pays salaries and pensions, services have to be paid for separately ... No reform is going to work.. The only way to sort this out is to join them .. The public sector should guarantee a job and pension to every unemployed person and any who want to take up a role in the public sector...lets all join the gravy train..

I honestly cannot figure out why people in Britain put up with high street shopping.

In Canada and America most shopping parking is free; yes, and I'm aware that they have more land for parking.

But in many centres, the parking fee is waived if you buy X amount of goods in the shops by giving you a validation.

People here are just mugs I guess.

But what the heck is there in Sheffield town centre? They have one of the worst high street occupancy rates in the UK.

I honestly cannot figure out why people in Britain put up with high street shopping.

In Canada and America most shopping parking is free; yes, and I'm aware that they have more land for parking.

But in many centres, the parking fee is waived if you buy X amount of goods in the shops by giving you a validation.

But what the heck is there in Sheffield town centre? They have one of the worst high street occupancy rates in the UK.

IKEA do this, if you spend over £20, you get 2 hours free IIRC.

they should levy an emergency spoon tax on every household in the UK found to be using their ware

If they want to tax parking beyond economic sense they will fail. In Brighton the on road charges have been slashed because we all stayed away. It had been put up to £4 for 2 hours etc and it was not feasible. Now it's back down to £2 for 4 hours.

Spoons? now you're talking - they could add a charge per spoon per household per year with a spoon value tax. Best to tax shopping bags aswell - £5 for a plastic one and £4 for paper. They could have carbon footprint measuring stalls put up and we could have our shoes cleaned at the same time. :lol:

IKEA do this, if you spend over £20, you get 2 hours free IIRC.

Waitrose in Canary Wharf operate something similar too. Just ask the cashier for a car park token after spending £x value of goods.

£x = not sure as its sometime since I shopped in Canary Wharf.

Didn't see that.

Invest in a composter or just burn it.

If we get "per load" or "by weight" charges in my area I'm buying an incinerator.

Has been my intention for ages.

Idiot councils fail to realise that car parks are the commercial lungs of a town centre.

Because the nature of shopping has changed, items purchased tend to be bigger, heavier that in years before, people need cars to take their goods home, that is why buses don't work.

Idiot councils fail to realise that car parks are the commercial lungs of a town centre.

Because the nature of shopping has changed, items purchased tend to be bigger, heavier that in years before, people need cars to take their goods home, that is why buses don't work.

It does if you take a central bus route between 10am and 3pm in most of the UK, especially on giro day.

I've never been to Sheffield but I have driven past it and I'm pretty sure I have seen an enormous out-of-town shopping-centre from the motorway flyover.

In my home town, the parking enforcement has meant that people now drive all the way into the centre to drop someone off before they drive the car out again to find somewhere to park for free; traffic congestion is now worse and there are tonnes of empty shops.

Edited by Diver Dan

They don't care.

They're entitled to an uncompetitive wage and gold plated pension and they're going to get one.

The Council are looting the tills as the shops burns down.

If we get "per load" or "by weight" charges in my area I'm buying an incinerator.

Has been my intention for ages.

Actually, i bought one ages ago. Nothing to do with council charges, just much handier and more effective than a shredder.

That should be up to the shops whose land you're parking on.

A good 'nudge' from government could be to charge the same business rates (or land tax) for all concreted land as for the actual shop building itself.

In a free country that respects property rights, yes.

However, in the UK, Nottingham city council wanted to do just that. Charge companies who allow employees to park on their land.

If there isnt a law against such rampant abuse of property rights by councils, there should be.