House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Welsh Manor House In 6.6 Acres £650K

Very nice indeed. I was assuming it was Grade II or (horror) even Grade I listed making repairs prohibitively expensive hence the cheap price but the article doesn't mention that.

The picture was taken on the one sunny day of that year?

More seriously I have to be honest, it's rare that I say anything nice about something in Wales, but that place looks lovely to me, and it's not that far from the Pembrokeshire coast which is very pretty. Climate and isolation would be the main problems I suppose.

Wonder what state the rest of the place is in?

I daresay they wouldn't allow a big wind turbine in the grounds, that's only if you're mates with the Bullingdon boys.

30959_THP00278_IMG_06_0000_max_620x414.JPG

Looking at the map on the RM link, it looks like most of the land was sold off previously.

The map makes it look like you own the laneway and the adjacent farm has access rights to the land on either side; you are probably responsible for its upkeep though.

IMPO it is not worth a quid.

Such a building is so remote that there are few reasons to actually go there - especially as the Pembs economy is in a death spiral.

If you want it to knock down then you probably would not be given permission and, anyhow, there is cheaper land in the area to build upon, also with the hassle and costs of knocking it down.

If you are a firm or business then why would you want such an old building that is expensive to modernise and expensive to upkeep. You would choose a new, modern building - probably one newly built by the Welsh Assembly or where the WAG offers some kind of grant.

But the location is still cr*p for business as anywhere West of Swansea is dead and increasingly Wales is looking like anywhere West of Cardiff to be dying economically.

It is the sort of building that, in days gone by, a local authority or NHS board would use as a HQ or an outwards bounds centre or some kind of hospital. These days they do not have the resources and, if they do, they just opt for a nice cheaper to build and maintain new build.

As far as I can see that property has no value at all. At best, the land it is on is probably worth something to local farmers - as long as they are not held responsible for knocking down the building.

Asbestos? Wonder if it has any? Copper pipes? Any left?

But the location is still cr*p for business as anywhere West of Swansea is dead and increasingly Wales is looking like anywhere West of Cardiff to be dying economically.

We stayed at Penarth for a wedding over Easter. Went to Barry Island on Good Friday night = closed.

Hotel was so cold I went out to buy an electric heater and another duvet at midnight.

Tried to fill up at big Asda in Cardiff on Saturday night = closed.

Hotel owner was complaining about West Glam council, just like I do about Bath and NE Somerset.

Walked out along Cardiff Bay development and only place with any people was Dr Who Experience. I was shocked that a souvenir mug was £10!

We used their loos and came away.

Penarth was quiet on Sunday morning despite sunny weather and building work on Pier and apartment block underway.

Here in Bath too very quiet. Just a few families for Easter holidays. Todays coming from Canada.

IMPO it is not worth a quid.

Such a building is so remote that there are few reasons to actually go there - especially as the Pembs economy is in a death spiral.

If you want it to knock down then you probably would not be given permission and, anyhow, there is cheaper land in the area to build upon, also with the hassle and costs of knocking it down.

If you are a firm or business then why would you want such an old building that is expensive to modernise and expensive to upkeep. You would choose a new, modern building - probably one newly built by the Welsh Assembly or where the WAG offers some kind of grant.

It is the sort of building that, in days gone by, a local authority or NHS board would use as a HQ or an outwards bounds centre or some kind of hospital. These days they do not have the resources and, if they do, they just opt for a nice cheaper to build and maintain new build.

As far as I can see that property has no value at all. At best, the land it is on is probably worth something to local farmers - as long as they are not held responsible for knocking down the building.

Asbestos? Wonder if it has any? Copper pipes? Any left?

I see these places and always wonder about an enchanced version of timeshare (but without the scams and actually owning the place, having votes on what to do with it, all set within guidelines)

eg buy the place for £650k, £350k to do it up, install massive GSHP, few concealed solar panels (for when the sun does shine) possible small windturbines if can be concealed a bit. look at buying more woodland closeby for fuel and leisure.

21 bedrooms on a 2week a year bases, each buy a 2week share. so works out to be around 2 grand for each share.

Council happy (perhaps) as could bring in an extra 500 lots of people every year to spend some dosh in wales.

Above is an example can be tweaked around.

I see these places and always wonder about an enchanced version of timeshare (but without the scams and actually owning the place, having votes on what to do with it, all set within guidelines)

eg buy the place for £650k, £350k to do it up, install massive GSHP, few concealed solar panels (for when the sun does shine) possible small windturbines if can be concealed a bit. look at buying more woodland closeby for fuel and leisure.

21 bedrooms on a 2week a year bases, each buy a 2week share. so works out to be around 2 grand for each share.

Council happy (perhaps) as could bring in an extra 500 lots of people every year to spend some dosh in wales.

Above is an example can be tweaked around.

Seems an awful lot of work for that kind of thing - especially in rain-soaked, cold West Wales. :D

Seems an awful lot of work for that kind of thing - especially in rain-soaked, cold West Wales. :D

true :D should stick to my plan b which is to have cheaper Narrowboat holidays, my above but with 10 like minded friends.

Edited by motch