House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pod

$5000 Cannondale Mountain Bike For £190 On Ebay

Does this look genuine? BTW, I didn't win it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

A $5000 Cannondale mountain bike for £190. It was only on a one day listing...

What do you think?

That has all the trade marks of a hijacked account. Stay Well away, if you have placed a bid on it first let me call you a fool ( in a nice way) , secondly you may recieve an email from the seller saying that the sale fell through and he will sell it to you for £XXX, should you recieve an email like it dont even reply.

Most people bypass the ebay email system and just a send a message from thier usual email account, the hijacker then uses this as the sign in to your ebay account and sets about guessing the password (after all most planks use thier name and date of birth i.e john65/john1965/john_65, if your email address is johnBlighthy65@blah.com it kind of gives it away).

How do i know this ... cause i is smart.

A BIG give away is this

You can get one unit for 900GBP (shipping fees included) if you mail me right now!

Please mail me in the folowing e-mail: jeanpaul_65@yahoo.com

I will not be online in my eBay registered e-mail at this time. Please mail me with any question

He has stated you can buy it now for £900, then why is there no BIN option, he knows that he can conduct the fake sale by email outside of ebay, therefore ebay wont try and track him down.

"I will not be online in my eBay registered e-mail at this time" - Just doesnt make sense, he must be online to answer your questions - emails that go through ebay can be picked up by logging into ebay.

It is a one day sale so the real owner of the account does not realise whats happening. Is he really in such a hurry that he must sell a £900 (his BIN price) for £190 (no reserve) in one day AND whilst not being able to access emails/ be online ect.

Payment method of 'other' i.e no paypal payment protection, probably a wire transfer.

If you pay up for this item (if he offers you a 'second chance' to buy) then you will lose your money.

Ive emailed the account owner just to see what he says about it - depends though if the hijacker is intercepting his emails.

Basically just forget about it :)

EDITED:

As a side note i would suggest that the legitimate seller is a mother aged 36 with a daughter under the age of 5, the ad suggests that the bike belongs to the seller (its a male frame bike) , which doesnt seem to fit the profile of a 36 year old mother. The email address supplied suggests that the name is JeanPaul, which is a male name.

Her ebay name is 1969cooper-s so the first thing i would assume - because im stereotypical is that her name is shelia (shes from Aus) Cooper age 36 with a young daughter.

Bit anecdotal but that would raise a caution alarm even if all the other stuff wasnt there.

Thanks Chuz.

Yep, I checked a lot of that myself and noticed that the supposed seller seemed to be female. So it seemed very strange that she would be selling such an expensive mans mountain bike.

And why would the seller sell such an expensive mountain bike on a one day sale. It didn't make any sense.

I'm fairly new to buying on eBay, but it didn't even look right to me. I didn't bid on it at all, as it just seemed sus.

I did send a message to the email address on the listing to ask about it and this is what he said

Hello and thank you for your promt reply.I must tell you that you have the opportunity to purchase this item for a lower price. I must let you know that we will close this transaction only trought eBay SafeHarbor Team and inside of it also, and like that bought will be secure , we will proceed trought ebay and i will arrange a delivery of the item to your home address( i will cover and pay all the shipping taxes - you will pay only the price of the item).

The deal will go strictly according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to this offer- to start the official transaction, I need to email me your shipping details like your full name and address where the item can be shipped and your ebay id so i can check your feedback .

As soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure and i will provide them to eBay so they can arrange all our transaction details(shipping and payment), and eBay SafeHarbor Team will noti fy you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly).

Like i told you before I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you + I am willing to deduct you with the fee for handling the payment procedure.I will pay all the shipping taxes, so you will have to pay only for the price of the item. Also, a refund policy will be included.You will have 30 working days to ask for a refund if you will not be 100% satisfy of the item.Should you need a refund for this transaction, the insured amount will be taken from my purchase protection account and sent to you. The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order.The way you are refunded is at your choice.Refund requests are processed within 3 days.

Looking forward to hear from you!

I'm not too sure what that was all about, or what he would have attempted to do.

Thanks Chuz.

Yep, I checked a lot of that myself and noticed that the supposed seller seemed to be female. So it seemed very strange that she would be selling such an expensive mans mountain bike.

And why would the seller sell such an expensive mountain bike on a one day sale. It didn't make any sense.

I'm fairly new to buying on eBay, but it didn't even look right to me. I didn't bid on it at all, as it just seemed sus.

I did send a message to the email address on the listing to ask about it and this is what he said

I'm not too sure what that was all about, or what he would have attempted to do.

Notice the bad english, even the aussies can put together a sentence better than that :lol: .

Its a scam, do not even reply to it saying its a scam, just forget about it. Since you emailed the person using the email on they gave you (silly boy/girl) then they now have your email address, in a couple of days you may recieve notification from ebay saying that they are "updating thier records" and you are to sign in it via www.ebay.co.uk ( a link they will give you) this will look like ebay but it wont be :). Do nothing, do not reply and do not enter your details into the site.

If you want to get in contact with a ebay member then use the "Ask a seller a question" option on the ebay site, if the advert says to contact them via a differnt email address then its best to just walk away.

B)

Notice the bad english, even the aussies can put together a sentence better than that :lol: .

Its a scam, do not even reply to it saying its a scam, just forget about it. Since you emailed the person using the email on they gave you (silly boy/girl) then they now have your email address, in a couple of days you may recieve notification from ebay saying that they are "updating thier records" and you are to sign in it via www.ebay.co.uk ( a link they will give you) this will look like ebay but it wont be :). Do nothing, do not reply and do not enter your details into the site.

If you want to get in contact with a ebay member then use the "Ask a seller a question" option on the ebay site, if the advert says to contact them via a differnt email address then its best to just walk away.

B)

Yep I noticed the bad English. It put me off right away when I read it. Reminded me of the scam involving the Nigerian general and the £20 million, and needing to use your bank account for a few days...!

Luckily I only used a free email account which I opened online, not my proper email account. B)

Yep I noticed the bad English. It put me off right away when I read it. Reminded me of the scam involving the Nigerian general and the £20 million, and needing to use your bank account for a few days...!

Luckily I only used a free email account which I opened online, not my proper email account. B)

thats the way to do it, always have a disposable email account at hand for all the 'dodgy' stuff :)

Just had a reply from the account owner...

this item is a fraudulent listing, I know nothing about it, and have contacted ebay to resolve the problem.

sorry for any inconvenience

So there we have it :)

Probably was worth $5k brand new and you are very likely to be right that it's a scam , so id' report the seller to Ebay if you haven't already.

pod,

I don't know whether you read my reply to your first bike question but i'd defo recommend a Cannondale. I max my air shocks to 300 psi and it's almost a hard tail for almost zero energy loss but with give if I go over pot holes.

Still yet to put all my new parts on but when I do, i'll let you know how it turns out.

pod,

I don't know whether you read my reply to your first bike question but i'd defo recommend a Cannondale. I max my air shocks to 300 psi and it's almost a hard tail for almost zero energy loss but with give if I go over pot holes.

Still yet to put all my new parts on but when I do, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for reminding me enworb! I completely forgot about that thread which I started, I'll go and read the replies now. Thanks again.

I just got a message from the genuine account holder too. She said;

this is a fraudulent listing, my account has been compromised, I know nothing of the item listed, and have reported the matter to ebay.

sorry for the inconvenience

I love my cannondale too. It is a bit of a rich mans brand though, funnily enough i bought mine for £500 off EBAY

How much are you looking at spending??

To be honest, no more than you spent on your cannondale. Preferably less...