House Price Crash Forum
ScrewsNutsandBolts

B B C - There Are Now Seven Social Classes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Interestingly as part of the wealth section they don't differentiate between owning a house and having a mortgage on a house. in their words:

Do you own or rent a property?

Value of all property owned/mortgaged by you/spouse/significant other

So I could go out and get an interest only mortgage on a million quid house and find myself as part of the social elite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21970879

Saw this on the BBC this morning interviewing Fiona Devine from the University of Manchester and she said that one of the ways to define class is if you own property, I'm guessing she was lumping mortgage holders in with this.

Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.

Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.

Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less cultural engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so not as socially disengaged.

New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.

Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.

Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.

Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.

Saw this on the BBC this morning interviewing Fiona Devine from the University of Manchester and she said that one of the ways to define class is if you own property, I'm guessing she was lumping mortgage holders in with this.

So what Class are you?...... ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Interestingly as part of the wealth section they don't differentiate between owning a house and having a mortgage on a house. in their words:

Do you own or rent a property?

Value of all property owned/mortgaged by you/spouse/significant other

So I could go out and get an interest only mortgage on a million quid house and find myself as part of the social elite.

Counting the value of the property as one of your assets is very silly. The only asset you have is your equity it. As you imply, Screws, if you have an IO mortgage you have no asset whatsoever.

Daft 'apporths.

Stupid survey if you ask me....we now have seven classes they said on the bbc this morning, yeah right.....you can have as many questions and classes as you want to make up....just think of a few silly titles and box people up into silly segments. ;)

Stupid survey if you ask me....we now have seven classes they said on the bbc this morning, yeah right.....you can have as many questions and classes as you want to make up....just think of a few silly titles and box people up into silly segments. ;)

Yes quite, I would say that we only have two classes, the political-corporate-banking elite, and the rest of us who are basically all victims of them and their works.

As typical of the BBC and it's agenda, it attempts to create perceived divisions in our society structure in order to foster a them and us mentality when we should all be focusing on the real issues and the vested interests who are happy for the current status quo to continue as long as it can. <_<

Stupid indeed.

Precariat

This is the poorest and most deprived class group. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

* Tend to mix socially with people like themselves

* Come from a working class background

* Rent their home - over 80%

Even though my social contacts included "university lecturer" and "cleaner" (I am neither). And it asked nothing about my background (solidly middle class).

The most interesting bit was fiddling with the buttons for house value and cash savings - small amounts of cash savings give you a lot more "economic capital" than owning a house of similar value. Perhaps they know something we don't?

Stupid indeed.

Even though my social contacts included "university lecturer" and "cleaner" (I am neither). And it asked nothing about my background (solidly middle class).

The most interesting bit was fiddling with the buttons for house value and cash savings - small amounts of cash savings give you a lot more "economic capital" than owning a house of similar value. Perhaps they know something we don't?

I got that too, but I don't think we fit into their narrow criteria (we're self employed and don't take much out of the business at the moment, so our income looks low on paper). We also have 'middle class' social contacts. It was interesting that if I swapped our savings (enough for a reasonable deposit) for 'owning' a house, we moved up a notch!

Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities

Went to university

Are comfortably off, secure and established

Total rot, It seems that the only thing that swung me into this group was knowing lots of people and listening to classical music.

"Social capital"

I stopped reading at that point. Are Facebook friends really a substitute for somewhere to live and an income that allows you to save a little money?

What a load of toss.

There are two classes:

1. Working Class, i.e. those that must work to feed, clothe and house themsleves.

2. Others, i.e. those that do not have to work to feed, clothe and house themselves.

Was that the survey at the BBC?

I put in (truthfully) rent my home but have more than £100k assets. It calls me "emergent service worker" and thinks I'm young.

Well, yes, those savings are the only difference in my answers now compared to 25 years ago (if you scale the income brackets to reflect the changes in the average). Hmmm ...

There are two classes:

1. Working Class, i.e. those that must work to feed, clothe and house themsleves.

2. Others, i.e. those that do not have to work to feed, clothe and house themselves.

And the feckless class 1's who are now class 2's

There are two classes:

^ this

What's stopping you? :D

Interesting, It put me as technical middle class, even though I would call myself upper working class. Must be because just over £50k net household income, jumped on the property ladder in 1996, wide social contacts due to old friends and new more middle class ones from the other parents at my kids private primary. Never thought much of sharing trips to legoland with solicitor and company director mums and their kids as we all arrange to go during those weeks the private schools are off and the state school kids and back from holidays. Some traditional mates are tradesmen.

Load of crap really.

M

Excellent fun.

If I put in my exact current circumstances, I am an 'Emergent service worker'. By simply (and hypothetically) redistributing my assets in various ways I can put myself in 'Established Middle Class' or 'New Affluent workers'. The actual 'cultural' sections seem to have no real effect.

It is all about housing.

There are two classes:

Agreed.

According to the beeb,, I'm elite!

I'd say "mostly harmless".