House Price Crash Forum

Renting With A Dog.

How difficult is it to rent somewhere when you own a dog?

In most places almost impossible, 95% of landlords will turn you down if you ask.

What most people seem to do is rent a place, hide the dog in a kennel for a couple of days while moving and then move it in without telling the LL. When they will eventually find out just act dumb, they will invariably be pissed off and will read you the riot act but they probably won't evict you.

Of course this is much easier to pull off if you are female, just pick up the dog and start making baby noises and talking nonsense until the LL rolls his eyes and leaves you alone.

Hi

I've been renting a place for ten years and it that time I acquired a dog. I've now been given notice to leave and have to find somewhere new to live. But I have a dog. How difficult is it to rent somewhere when you own a dog?

Good luck with that one...

In my experience it is a rare to find any kind of rental that accepts pets of any kind.

Your best bet may be to find a private rental. My friend had a cat and once she was able to speak to a LL directly (not via an agent) they did not have a problem with it - on the assumption that any damage would be put right (I think they had to pay a slightly bigger deposit) - several had initially turned her down.

It is one area where the rental laws need improved - who is a LL to say that one cannot have a companion animal - provided any damage is made good and it one does not turn the place into a dogs home then there should not be a problem.

In most places almost impossible, 95% of landlords will turn you down if you ask.

What most people seem to do is rent a place, hide the dog in a kennel for a couple of days while moving and then move it in without telling the LL. When they will eventually find out just act dumb, they will invariably be pissed off and will read you the riot act but they probably won't evict you.

Of course this is much easier to pull off if you are female, just pick up the dog and start making baby noises and talking nonsense until the LL rolls his eyes and leaves you alone.

This is correct.

My wife and I rent with a cat - it adds a lot to my life, the wife less-so.

I had to move a couple of months ago due to work, so new rental in new part of the country. Letting agency said "no pets is their policy", as did previous letting agent.

I lied in both cases. The first letting agency gave 6 monthly inspections - hid the cat in the car a couple of hours beforehand and cleaned away any of its stuff. New place is managed by the landlord and hes very hands off and unlikely to ever ask to come around.

I have a tough persona with letting agents - I exaggerate my seniority and my busyness and so any inspection is usually quick and not detailed.

Hi

I've been renting a place for ten years and it that time I acquired a dog. I've now been given notice to leave and have to find somewhere new to live. But I have a dog. How difficult is it to rent somewhere when you own a dog?

Simply dont mention the dog, theres no reason to, the reason is as follows

Unless the landlord is a professional, the contract will probably be a standard EA contract drafted from their standard template which is quite likely to include a "no pets clause"

These clauses have already been deemed unfair contract terms, so you can quite happily ignore them

See here unless dogs are specifically mentioned (unlikely)

Edited by Rozza

Simply dont mention the dog, theres no reason to, the reason is as follows

Unless the landlord is a professional, the contract will probably be a standard EA contract drafted from their standard template which is quite likely to include a "no pets clause"

These clauses have already been deemed unfair contract terms, so you can quite happily ignore them

See here unless dogs are specifically mentioned (unlikely)

That is really interesting and useful - cheers!

Most agents will tell you in the particulars whether animals are allowed. Just look out for it on zoopla/rightmove/whatever and make a shortlist from amongst those listings that will tolerate a doggie. You might think it unreasonable to object, but no point getting needlessly into a situation of likely conflict.