House Price Crash Forum

C P R E And National Trust To Back Return Of Concrete Prefab

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Cant see it being much of a saving - it costs sod all to build a standard 3 bed house if you building them in bulk - like 25 - 30k

add in very high board and management salaries, pensions, land bank loss setoffs and 60% margins and payola

HOLA444

Is not house building pretty much the last large craft industry left in the UK ?

I know most of the building is paid for by the big construction companies but much of of the work is done by subcontractors many of whom are relatively small scale businesses

It as if we still had all our modern cars built by the same people who made stage coaches and using pretty much the same methods.

BTW I gather the legendary German Huf Haus Builders won't let most British tradesmen on site if they build a top of the range prefab for you in the Uk. They usually bring in their own construction teams from Germany. When they constructed a property for C4 Grand Designs the only delays were apparently down to the two British contractors involved. The lorry of the one delivering cement for the foundations got lost and the one supplying the crane turned up late. The Brits could not get it right even when they knew they were on TV.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA445
HOLA446

Is not house building pretty much the last large craft industry left in the UK ?

I know most of the building is paid for by the big construction companies but much of of the work is done by subcontractors many of whom are relatively small scale businesses

It as if we still had all our modern cars built by the same people who made stage coaches and using pretty much the same methods.

BTW I gather the legendary German Huf Haus Builders won't let most British tradesmen on site if they build a top of the range prefab for you in the Uk. They usually bring in their own construction teams from Germany. When they constructed a property for C4 Grand Designs the only delays were apparently down to the two British contractors involved. The lorry of the one delivering cement for the foundations got lost and the one supplying the crane turned up late. The Brits could not get it right even when they knew they were on TV.

From what i've read they even cheat with the roof rafters by not seasoning them properly anymore and use green wood

Faux Craftsmen complicit with big business (Robin' the population)

Edited by erranta

HOLA447
HOLA448

1st April?

Atticus

Edited by erranta

HOLA449

Even as a self-employed sparky I find construction to be mostly out-dated, labour-intensive and inefficient. Lots of areas for improvement. I briefly worked in installing prefabricated bathroom 'pods' and even there the benefits were obvious.