House Price Crash Forum

600K House & 2Nd Home Signs Of "being A Success"

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301957/An-iPad-50-inch-TV-cleaner-Modern-day-status-symbols-revealed.html

An iPad, convertible car, 50 inch TV - and a cleaner were today hailed as modern day status symbols. Researchers revealed the eclectic mix of items in a poll of 2,000 adults to find out how we judge success and wealth today.

The report found that as well as the car you drive and house you live in, modern day status symbols also include diamond jewellery, designer watches and a foreign holiday home. Holidays to far-flung destinations such as the Maldives or the Caribbean also made the list as well as doing your weekly food shop at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer. It also emerged that more than one in ten British people have even bought a modern day status symbol simply to impress others or appear more well off than they really are. Andy Oldham, Managing Director at cashback site Quidco, which commissioned the research, said: 'There was a time when people judged success solely on your home or job, but it seems like there are many more modern items that help give a certain impression of you.

'Technology has improved massively over the last few years and this is reflected in the list with items such as 3D TVs, iPads and smart phones all featuring.

'Even the supermarket you go to for your weekly shop can give others an idea of how successful you are.

'Material items go such a long way to showing you are successful that it seems many are buying these status symbols, even if they can't really afford them.'

A home worth £578,000 is also among the list of modern day status symbols, as well as a car - complete with a personal number plate - with Aston Martin, Ferraris, Mercedes Benz and Porsches the most popular makes to display success.

A 50 inch smart or 3D TV, a home with electric gates and a cleaner, nanny or even gardener on the pay roll also emerged as signs of achievement. And when it comes to holidays, for it to really show off your success, it needs to be a luxury holiday on a remote Indian Ocean resort or in a private Caribbean villa costing around £5,000 per break. Designer brands are also a must-have status symbol with items including a top of the range watch such as a Rolex, or Tag as well as a Prada or Mulberry handbag, Louis Vuitton luggage and a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes.

Looking after your appearance is also important if you want to appear successful with having a personal trainer featured in the list, alongside attending an exclusive gym and having regular manicures. Other modern day status symbols include owning more than one home, flying or travelling in first class and being part of a member's only club.

Drinking champagne, having a good knowledge of wine and travelling in taxis instead of taking public transport also emerged as today's signs of success. It also emerged that 14 per cent of Brits have bought a particular object or brand just to appear more well off than they really are. Most worryingly, one in four admitted they used a credit card to make the extravagant purchase, while more than one in twenty took out a loan. Less than half used money they had diligently saved. Almost one in ten of those polled have even ended up getting into debt of £6,263 to buy something they consider to be a status symbol. And another 15 per cent would consider getting into debt of almost £5,000 if it meant they were able to 'keep up with the Jones'.

Andy Oldham added: 'As the country continues to struggle with recovery, money saving behaviours have never been more important.

MODERN DAY STATUS SYMBOLS

A house worth £577,921

A luxury holiday on a remote island or a private villa holiday

A holiday in the Caribbean, Maldives and Seychelles which costs £4,947

A TV screen size of at least 50 inches

A smart phone

An iPad or tablet

Shops at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer

Drive an Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mercedes or Porsche

Has a partner who earns £64,311

Earns £63,938 themselves

Have £15,008 in savings

Own a second home or more

Have a holiday home abroad

A designer watch (Rolex, Cartier, tag or Omega)

Children go to private or boarding school

Fly or travel in first or business class

A home with electric gates

A nanny

Part of a member's only club or bar

A Prada handbag

A convertible car

A mulberry handbag

A cleaner

Two or more cars

Louis Vuitton luggage

A pair of Christian Louboutin shoes

Has a personal trainer

A gardener

Personal number plate

Wears diamond jewellery

Travels in taxis rather than tube or public transport

A hot tub/Jacuzzi

Attends an exclusive gym

Drinks champagne

Has a good knowledge of wine

A dog walker

Manicured nails

A weekly blow dry

A season ticket holder at a Premier League club

A smart or 3D TV

Edited by Dave Beans

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Quickly scanning the list I read 'Weekly blow dry' as something else, maybe that would be impressive ;).

A smart or 3D TV

At least there will be something intelligent in the £600k house.

HOLA446

I know it's the Daily Wail but it really is amazing how stupid people are IMHO. Not one of those things shows true wealth. In fact I think they actually prevent one of the key elements of true wealth which I believe consists of:

- Enough assets to generate sufficient passive income for financial independence

- Great family and friends

HOLA447

I know it's the Daily Wail but it really is amazing how stupid people are IMHO. Not one of those things shows true wealth. In fact I think they actually prevent one of the key elements of true wealth which I believe consists of:

- Enough assets to generate sufficient passive income for financial independence

Its a list containing material crap...You could own 10 houses, but could be miserable as sin, with no friends and little family...

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It's thoughts like this that keep such people's noses to the grindstone all their lives, only when they are too old to do anything else does it dawn on them they've been used all their lives, if it occurs at all. If you've actually got money you don't look like it. If you want to look like it youre only out to impress other fools who think the same. Theyre all as poor as church mice, financially, spiritually and most importantly they are time poor as well as they scurry around day after day working to keep the owner of their workplace in genuine wealth. Fools. A lifetime wasted to impress another slave doing the same.

Caring what others think will cost you your freedom.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Its a list containing material crap...You could own 10 houses, but could be miserable as sin, with no friends and little family...

Agreed and as a person who a few years ago opted out of consumerism and everything it represents which then allowed me to start my journey to true wealth it also saddens me what people still strive for in life. When you're on your death bed will these people still wish for Louis Vuitton luggage...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
MODERN DAY STATUS SYMBOLS

A house worth £577,921

A luxury holiday on a remote island or a private villa holiday

A holiday in the Caribbean, Maldives and Seychelles which costs £4,947

A TV screen size of at least 50 inches

A smart phone

An iPad or tablet

Shops at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer

Drive an Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mercedes or Porsche

Has a partner who earns £64,311

Earns £63,938 themselves

Have £15,008 in savings

Own a second home or more

Have a holiday home abroad

A designer watch (Rolex, Cartier, tag or Omega)

Children go to private or boarding school

Fly or travel in first or business class

A home with electric gates

A nanny

Part of a member's only club or bar

A Prada handbag

A convertible car

A mulberry handbag

A cleaner

Two or more cars

Louis Vuitton luggage

A pair of Christian Louboutin shoes

Has a personal trainer

A gardener

Personal number plate

Wears diamond jewellery

Travels in taxis rather than tube or public transport

A hot tub/Jacuzzi

Attends an exclusive gym

Drinks champagne

Has a good knowledge of wine

A dog walker

Manicured nails

A weekly blow dry

A season ticket holder at a Premier League club

A smart or 3D TV

All the houses worth or the cars worth or anything worth....does not mean it is owned........would the savings pay the worths off?.....what is the net worth? ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Only £15,008 in savings???!!!

+ 1

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It's interesting how some of the things (shops at waitrose & M&S, has a smart phone, £15k savings) are like "so what? Isn't that pretty normal and boring?" while others (owning a holiday home abroad, or a mulberry handbag, are like "what kind of a tossser is this?"

I'm suprised Mercedes is a status symbol alongside Aston, Ferrari & porsche. I got a rental mercedes once, it was a tub to drive, very odd.

A bloke down the road from here lives in a restored medieval castle and collects vintage sports cars. Bombs round the Tescos car park in a 1930s bentley. I think that counts as "success".