House Price Crash Forum

Best Budget Smartphone Of 2013?

pl1

I spent ages looking around for replacements for my old iPhone 3GS.

Main requirements were stability and battery life.

After some reading, the Huawei Ascend seemed to be the one - it's only £109 compared to £350 for an iPhone 4.

I've had it for a week.

Being a lot newer the screen is lovely, the browser works well, the menus and interface are very clean - in some ways better than Apple.

On the other hand, the little "Apple touches" aren't quite there. For instance if you're downloading something and the phone goes into idle, it will probably stop the download. The email sync (Exchange) doesn't quite seem to be "push email" - actually, that's the bit I thought might work really well, but it seems to suffer update delays.

The keyboard has the letters too close together and the degree of thought that has gone into the auto correct can't touch Apple. You just can't type really fast on it and expect the device to correct you all the time, you have to keep retyping. Or I do anyway.

But all that said, £109 on O2 or £160 for the unlocked model from Amazon qualifies as"budget" and while it's not quite an iPhone, it's quite pleasant.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/huawei/ascend-w1-blue/

And the battery lasts for two days on one charge.

I went from an iPhone 3Gs to a Android chinaphone too. Sure it is a little rougher around the edges - but certainly very good value.

Consider a replacement keyboard (yes, unlike the iPhone you can change it on Android). Try SwiftKey. It's predictive text (based on what you type, not just a dictionary) and swiping across the keys option are pretty good.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from an iPhone 3Gs to a Android chinaphone too. Sure it is a little rougher around the edges - but certainly very good value.

Consider a replacement keyboard (yes, unlike the iPhone you can change it on Android). Try SwiftKey. It's predictive text (based on what you type, not just a dictionary) and swiping across the keys option are pretty good.

This one is Windows 8. Funnily enough I was advised on here by quite a few to get a Windows phone in the first place, I could have avoided Android altogether (my experiences have been so poor I wouldn't touch another for quite a few years though others assure me it's ready for market now). My Samsung Android phone had the "swipe keys" feature which worked quite well.

What the Apple one seemed to do was to apply some degree of contextual intelligence to what you typed in and the auto correct was right most of the time, plus the "keys" were bigger and easier to hit apart from those at the edge of the display. What this one does is more a simple spell correct and it doesn't get it right anywhere near as often. No way to change the keyboard layout that I can see although there may be one somewhere. Mind you I just noticed a "Speak" icon and if you press that you can talk the message at it and it does that quite well.

I thought there would be a problem with apps for the Windows phone, but there's a Kitco one, an eBay one, an Audible one... all the main ones I use are represented and seem to work well.

I spent ages looking around for replacements for my old iPhone 3GS.

Main requirements were stability and battery life.

After some reading, the Huawei Ascend seemed to be the one - it's only £109 compared to £350 for an iPhone 4.

I've had it for a week.

Being a lot newer the screen is lovely, the browser works well, the menus and interface are very clean - in some ways better than Apple.

On the other hand, the little "Apple touches" aren't quite there. For instance if you're downloading something and the phone goes into idle, it will probably stop the download. The email sync (Exchange) doesn't quite seem to be "push email" - actually, that's the bit I thought might work really well, but it seems to suffer update delays.

The keyboard has the letters too close together and the degree of thought that has gone into the auto correct can't touch Apple. You just can't type really fast on it and expect the device to correct you all the time, you have to keep retyping. Or I do anyway.

But all that said, £109 on O2 or £160 for the unlocked model from Amazon qualifies as"budget" and while it's not quite an iPhone, it's quite pleasant.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/huawei/ascend-w1-blue/

And the battery lasts for two days on one charge.

Keyboard is probably fine for Chinese fingers.

Does it come with its own Chinese People's Army handler?

the iPhone fan community appears to be having a collective orgasm over the new iPhone 5s and 5c

not sure why( anymore than the hype around the Samsung s4), they just seem to have identified the faster processor (despite 64 bit being irrelevant in this context) and finger print unlocking. and apparently the 5c has the best plastic finish ever.

the iPhone fan community appears to be having a collective orgasm over the new iPhone 5s and 5c

not sure why( anymore than the hype around the Samsung s4), they just seem to have identified the faster processor (despite 64 bit being irrelevant in this context) and finger print unlocking. and apparently the 5c has the best plastic finish ever.

And io7 icons now look like Android! Yay!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Worst POS shit phone I have ever bought.

Battery is kaput, charge falls off a cliff. Only 14 months old.

I'm sure you're the second person on here who had a very bad experience with the Nexus (was Mark the other?).

I find it odd that it is meant to be the high end version of the MotoG and yet gets such bad reviews on here. The MotoG is a superb phone.. Hard to believe they are from the same company.

The MotoG is a superb phone.. Hard to believe they are from the same company.

Ok, so looks like the Google banner doesn't actually make them the same. Which probably explains why they got Motorola to make the new Nexus 6 (on the back of the Moto success).

Now if they could just make a smaller Moto-Nexus 6 to fit in between the spec of the Moto-G and the 6 they'd have a really cracking phone!

Ok, so looks like the Google banner doesn't actually make them the same. Which probably explains why they got Motorola to make the new Nexus 6 (on the back of the Moto success).

Now if they could just make a smaller Moto-Nexus 6 to fit in between the spec of the Moto-G and the 6 they'd have a really cracking phone!

For the hardware some manufacturers are racing to market exit as Chinese unleash overcapacity in production which will causes margins to collapse. Nokia, BlackBerry, possibly Sony exit. I can't see Google wanting in on hardware. On the Samsung thread there are signs that they are getting dragger in. Apple is ok for now but I expect smartphones to get much cheaper.

You can pick up the Moto G for as little as £125 now - why pay more. The Huawei Ascend is about £150 and I think Huawei have a slightly newer version for about £250, if you want the latest network stuff, but it most likely will be £150 by the New Year.

Paying 400, 500, 600 plus for a phone is just stupid.

Archived